The phoenix rising of Wilbur (‘55) the Survivor

Do you own an oxy-acetylene torch?

Sure, the axle won't hit the tube but 1/4" is going to affect your toe out.

It appears that there is no bearing or bushing between the spline where it goes into the differential gears and the knuckles.

There may not be bearings there, but you will be causing excess wear at the splines, and on the wheel bearings, from the bend. It will be extra pressure at each end.
It could significantly reduce the life of the bearings/differential.

Modern Wranglers have a similar setup, and we have to make sure those tubes are straight after accidents.

Just something to keep in mind.

I can't believe nobody is willing to straighten that out. It's a simple repair. Heat and bend back. Axle tubes and steering components are made from mild steel so they can be bent and if need be straightened. Perhaps frame shops have gone away like radiator shops...

I think what’s going on is things have changed and people/shops are less willing to work on "different" things. I’ve got some time to keep looking. Right now I have to get it steering and rolling to get him temporarily out of my barn so I can do some painting and staining to get the trim finished in the house. Otherwise, we will never get the house on the market so we can move to Colorado. Trying to do small batches is just a pain and too slow. So Wilbur must be rolled out of the barn can so it can go back to being a paint shop this summer. Once the house is finished, I can concentrate on Wilbur.

In San Francisco, the City leaders have shown a disregard for commercial or Industrial businesses. So we have to drive down the Peninsula, across the Bay to Oakland or up north to Sonoma Co.
The other scenario I've noticed Mickey, is that there just isn't much volume performing the type of work you are trying to get done. Too many disposable cars and not enough repairing. Matter of fact, our whole society has become a disposable culture. I was just hoping Texas would be different. Maybe call Richard Rawlings?

He's too big of a hotshot now and charges like it. Plus he’s in Dallas. California has been exporting too much of that so it’s here too.

How about Brian Bass? Also in Dallas if that's a deal breaker.
Yes, I am aware many people are leaving and Texas is often the destination. Be careful or you'll get Californicated.

You know what fornicate means? The Cali version means Californians coming to your state and messing your state up as badly as CA is.

I was playing dumb..... and trying to not hurt anyones feelings. That process has been going on for some time and screwing up Texas to a lesser extent but Colorado to a big extent.

Lots of guys swap out the axles (And entire frames) when doing restomods, so it’s not uncommon to see these offered for free or the next thing to it. Be patient, put an ad in the OWF classifieds for a Dana 25 or 27 wanted, put the word out, watch Craigslist.

No I had not seen them yet. I stopped after talking to like 5 places and also asking them who in town. But I will call them next week. Thanks.

That ended up being a dead end. He said they don't have that ability or know anyone who can. So will still be looking but if fruitless, then go with my original game plan.

Back