First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
After several people here and at home suggested, I decided to take their advice and chronical my adventure. We decided last summer that we needed a permenant vehicle left at our cabin in the mountains of southern NM. It had to be 4 wheeled since we are there all times of the year and they do get snow, etc. I didn't want another car payment for 5 years nor the high cost of a newish 4 wheeled nor an old used POS that had unknowns and value always going down. Thus we started looking for a good Willys. At first we ruled out a CJ as could not secure items, top off and on, up or down, limited seating, etc. Finally ruled out truck for 2 person only, securing items and shoveling snow out of the bed. We found a great 55 wagon surprisingly a few hours away in Amarillo. It had been for sale for several months and price dropped once already. It ran and appeared mostly original, which we wanted, and all there. It was a 2 owner that started in the mountains near Red River NM with a skiing family like us and supposedly not many miles in past 15 years but kept in a building under cover. After a visit and test drive, negotiating a lower price, we agreed on it. $6,200 and put it in a storage unit until I could get back up in a month to trailer home. I would have preferred to pay $500-1,000 less, but that would not get the deal done and this one was in pretty good shape compared to others I saw plus it was the high altitude motor with the 2 bbl. I knew I would do a frame off and add some safety upgrades, but keep as original as possible. Here it is last September:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
After getting Wilbur, the wife and I took a trip to Durango and rented a jeep just to get to a mountain top area. That was the nail in the coffin. Now I decided I needed a CJ too. A week later we found a 58 running, low mileage just a hour from our home in Texas. It too original, kept under cover on cement and spent its entire life on this ranch in Fredricksburg. I was in good shape so negotiated a price and trailered it home. Originally we were going to do minimal safety things, tune, tires and take it up to the cabin to be the immediate solution while I did the wagon. But after getting Willie home and doing some driving, I decided to just do it right to start with. Get it dependable, safe and usable.

So I'll be adding a built thread on Willie here too, but this means Wilbur will be a slower progress. But progress.

So far I've mostly just started acquiring parts I know I'll need, little each month. I did pull the radiator and heater core and had them gone thru. Also ordered 16" truck wheels from Montana Overland. Just got them back from second powder coater and they look good. After mounting the Goodyear DruaTracs, I'll temporarily be putting them on the CJ and putting the old CJ rims and NDT on for rolling him around.

Before:
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

I also pulled the the seats and had the frames and an acquired a spare tire bracket and its pieces, powder coated. In the process of removing rust off the seats springs with a vinegar bath (which works awesome). Boy are those seats nasty inside. 60 years of rust, bugs, mouse droppings, cotton converted to nest by mice, cat pee, and God knows what else. Stunk up the whole garage the first day. Here are the springs after getting the droppings out. Today it's soaking in the vinegar bath.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I might hold on to Snoopy depending on how old it is. It would get removed if I did a frame off, or painted it. Looks to be in good shape, is there any rust in the wheel wells or the floors ? Take a look right under, and behind the doors, it a great place for rust to start. I love my wagon but mines a little different then yours, it's no longer stock

Being skiers, we considered keeping the Snoop, but the PO painted the wagon himself with Rustoleum and that's just not gonna cut it. Going to get repainted a nice red like the color of my C6. Crystal Red Metalic. Its kind of a candy apple red in that when the sun hits it, it really shows the depth. As for rust, not bad at all, but I can tell the PO did some bondo work over the rear wheel wells. But we all know the ugly truth will come out once it's media blasted. But I was all over it and don't expect it to be too bad, time will tell.

First seat spring and pan soaking in the vinegar bath. Interesting the way they are put together. The pan has a heavy tar paper (just like 30 pound roofing felt but twice as think) between it and the springs. I'm guessing to stop squeaking. I've got all 4 Wilbur seats plus the 2 front and rear for the CJ. Trying to get one done every 2 days.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 192
Not much going on as have been out of town a lot this summer and concentrating on 'Willie' the CJ5. But I did decide to pull the carb to be sent off for total restore with replating, rebuild, tune on flow tester, etc. It was really in bad shape based on the outside. When I pulled it, one barrel was just leaking fuel as there was a good puddle sitting in the intake. When I brought Wilbur home, he was running, but very, very rough and very rich. See all the leaks, buildup, etc. Once I get the carb back, I plan on putting it one, doing a full tune and seeing how he drives. Hopefully get to enjoy a little driving before I do the body off.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 151
Baby steps of the budget. Just got restored carb back from J&J Carbs of Fullerton, CA. Here are before and after pics. When I pulled it off, there was a puddle of gas, grime, oil, whatever sitting in the intake manifold just below the passenger side barrel. Looking at the before, think it was in need of some work? One interesting point is that the some of the original linkage was that yellowish (zinc plating?) yet was returned shinny metal. Gotta put a call into them next week about it to see what they say.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 108
Wow, that carb looks amazing. Great thread. I'll be interested to see how you rebuild the seats. I'll be needing to do that someday.

WOW! Is that body as good as it looks in the pics? Any surprises yet? Good luck and keep the pics coming

Body does looks good, but I have not started taking it apart yet. Won't be taking it apart until I finish the CJ. Fingers crossed but we all know there WILL be surprises, just a question of what.

Back