The phoenix rising of Wilbur (‘55) the Survivor

And it did arrive today. Chromed and no issues. Why the hell can't the pitting/blistering issues happen on something like that piece that is mostly not seen. No it has to happen right on the part that’s right out in the open, slapping you in the face.

Got tired of messing with the rebuild of the original Carter dual action fuel pump so send it off the Then and Now to have them go thru it and see where I messed up. Got the call today the they found nothing wrong with my rebuild, but did find a crack in the housing. I have no idea how I missed that but will look it over when it gets back. I had them rebuild the glass bowl AC dual action for my F134 CJ5 so not a total waste of shipping. So now I’m looking for an original Carter dual action for Wilbur.

You don't want to know the price of a rebuilt Carter carb.
I had my Carter rebuilt by Scoutpilot and while not inexpensive, the workmanship is top notch. I tried doing it myself but gave up after ordering 3 rebuild kits and getting 3 different batches of parts, none of which seemed to really fit. So having a guy who's company name is Old Jeep Carbs, LLC just felt right. And Rick has always responded to all of my questions and issues.

Got tired of messing with the rebuild of the original Carter dual action fuel pump so send it off the Then and Now to have them go thru it and see where I messed up. Got the call today the they found nothing wrong with my rebuild, but did find a crack in the housing. I have no idea how I missed that but will look it over when it gets back. I had them rebuild the glass bowl AC dual action for my F134 CJ5 so not a total waste of shipping. So now I’m looking for an original Carter dual action for Wilbur.

Mickey which part is cracked I have a few casing parts lying around from my rebuild if you can post a pic will see if I still have a spare.

Here’s the pic of the crack. My before pic doesn’t show a crack so not sure how it could have happened, but diggerG has one he sending that’s supposed to work. Fingers crossed.

C2186C0C-EA87-4D4B-B7EC-343B131CD84D.jpeg

Mickey, I lost one of the check valve metal cages on my first pump. Are you willing to sell parts off that cracked pump?

Update on chroming. As a refresher, I sent my stuff off to Lakeside for plating the end of this past January. Bumpers came out good, along with a few other parts. But pot metal is not their strength. Time promises are not their strength (month and a half late and they worked thru Covin, just separated shifts). Basically I was pretty disappointed in that part. Back in January when I sent them everything, I intentionally did not send the dash bezel since that is one piece you are really up close to every time you drive. I wanted it to be nice. After all the delays and issues, I decided I would use them again for bumpers, but nothing else. Fast forward to June and I found a set of original dealer installed clip on mirrors from the 50’s. They were affordable but chrome was not so great plus a fair amount of pitting. I was still debating on the dash bezel so I decided I’d use the mirrors as my guinea pig to see if Sherm's really is better. Mind you it was more expensive. I chose their mid level pricing. Here is the before (notice the rust, pitting and crackling chrome, and worn thru sections of metal):

141DFCB6-EE5C-4D55-A64A-8EAE7A80F620.jpeg8DBC3975-859F-47EC-9FF5-2623D7766175.jpeg59E9ACE4-D6A9-4D8F-96F7-1A6F3745500F.jpegF288A6B7-172B-413A-8B6E-16C87C4C657A.jpeg

Last edited:
Today they are now back:

AF4FCFB9-B5CA-476F-897B-277A2BA9EE25.jpegF96FB1DD-2B3F-40ED-8B2C-490FDDCDA5A7.jpeg0D5948B9-0649-474D-A571-2E2BBB0177BF.jpeg

Now we all know taking pics of chrome is not easy. Getting a good representations of the job are difficult at best. But trust me, I went over these with a very, very fine tooth comb. All I can say is WOW. I am blown away. I did find a place where they didn’t totally get rid of two pit circles. I send Kelly an email showing it, so I’ll report back what they say.

E538E807-EAAE-4540-821F-79D23782ACBC.jpeg

Now they were a month late compared to their original promise time of 2 months, but I’m getting the feeling that may just be how the chrome business is. Again, it was expensive ($450 for all the pieces in the picture, which is 2 mirrors), but you get what you pay for. But I think I have decided where to send the gauge bezel.

Last edited:
Today they are now back:

View attachment 83879View attachment 83880View attachment 83881

Now we all know taking pics of chrome is not easy. Getting a good representations of the job are difficult at best. But trust me, I went over these with a very, very fine tooth comb. All I can say is WOW. I am blown away. I did find a place where they didn’t totally get rid of two pit circles. I send Kelly an email showing it, so I’ll report back what they say.

View attachment 83882

Now they were a month late compared to their original promise time of 2 months, but I’m getting the feeling that may just be how the chrome business is. Again, it was expensive ($450 for all the pieces in the picture, which is 2 mirrors), but you get what you pay for. But I think I have decided where to send the gauge bezel.
Today they are now back:

View attachment 83879View attachment 83880View attachment 83881

View attachment 83882

Now they were a month late crompared to their original promise time of 2 months, but I’m getting the feeling that may just be how the chrome business is. Again, it was expensive ($450 for all the pieces in the picture, which is 2 mirrors), but you get what you pay for. But I think I have decided where to send the gauge bezel.

I guess doing a show stopping Pebble Beach restoration is what some are are going for. So much of the old parts weren't perfect from day 1. Of course I drive my trucks and wagons so they will always have dings and chips and I don't spend a lot of time looking at my chrome when I am driving.;)

Every one has different desires and ideas. I'm not going to pebble beach or any other shows with Wilbur, but I also want a nice version that I can enjoy. It’s nice when others admire your work and efforts, but that is not why I do it. I do it for me and what I want. I understand why others drive patina and 'work' vehicles. There is room for all in this hobby.

EDIT: Once Wilbur is back on the road, I do plan on him being my primary vehicle for running around. Long trips, no, but in and around town, definitely. Once we get relocated to Durango, I plan to drive him in the snow and some forest roads. Rock climbing, probably not. Ski hill, probably. But like many of the types of roads shown in Pete's video.

Last edited:
Back