My 60 1/2 pickup build

275415e9d7bb90fbfdfbb4f901d0299f.jpg
b0a5880201708aa777214f5d7cf563de.jpg
d595785e133200752e80ddd6f961986a.jpg
. I've finished all the wiring under the dash but I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook up the heater motor and how it's controlled ? I know it runs, I tested it with power to the small nub on the bottom of the motor while grounded. I'm sure it has something to do with the air control knob. It looks like it's got male connectors on the back side. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The air control knob is wired and turns in addition to pulls. it has 2 settings for the 2-speed fan so that blower motor should have 3 wires, a ground and then 2 leads for the 2 speeds.

The air control knob is wired and turns in addition to pulls. it has 2 settings for the 2-speed fan so that blower motor should have 3 wires, a ground and then 2 leads for the 2 speeds.

Where do the 2 leads for the speed control go on the motor. I only see one place on the motor for the leads. There are no wires coming from the motor. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Do the high and low speed leads go to the same junction terminal on the heater ? That's the only option I can visualize

So I'm dealing with later units with the 230 and the motor is 2-speed.
I thought the 226 at the end was the same.
Most of the motors I've seen have a opening in the motor cover where a ground and the 2 leads exit the coil.
Were the wires cut close and have snuck back into the motor shell or is there just 1 lead showing?

a4a7c731add6252bb042d4b24ce27fcf.jpg
432bb18a1fe8f0e135cc56a91bb097a1.jpg
. These are the only possible areas where leads could go. I'm not sure what the plate with 2 small holes are. I had the motor apart but there were no wires there.

the first pic looks like a plug or blank that pulls out. see this pic and the wires coming out of the motor casing.

20171029_135816.jpg

the first pic looks like a plug or blank that pulls out. see this pic and the wires coming out of the motor casing.

View attachment 40624

c0ffa70973ab8158354104aa7cc5e7a3.jpg
. You're right, I think the wires got pulled. I found this picture on the web. Thanks for your help. I'll tear it apart and rewire it

John - I bought a nos switch like yours and found one is 12v+ in, one is the "high"position 12+ out and the other is a reostat position. I can check and post which is which if you need it.

I bought a new fan motor at LMC here in town for 75$ and installed it. It works great but I found a new motor like the original at autozone for 20$ by chance later on.....

John - I bought a nos switch like yours and found one is 12v+ in, one is the "high"position 12+ out and the other is a reostat position. I can check and post which is which if you need it.

I bought a new fan motor at LMC here in town for 75$ and installed it. It works great but I found a new motor like the original at autozone for 20$ by chance later on.....

Ben
Thanks for the information. I would appreciate that switch information if it's not too much trouble. I didnt realize I could get a new motor for that little money. Easier than a rebuild! Thanks

John - I went and tested and metered my switch.

In the photo posted here the top of the photo is up. The left side is the dash metal and the right side towards the front of the wagon.

The bottom pin is my 12v+ power. The 10 o'clock pin (closest to the camera) is the fan motor wire. The unused 2 o'clock terminal is off of the reostat.

I use my switch with the off position being the knob rotated all the way to the right stop. In this position with the fan wire hooked to either terminal(10 or 2) the fan is off. Plus in this position the words on the knob match the rest for placement.

When I rotate my knob to the left I feel the coils of the reostat until I get to a soft stop. At this point the fan is at full speed - but powered through the reostat. One further click to the left on the knob and the reostat loses power and full 12v+ volts goes out of the 10 o'clock terminal and doesn't pass through the reostat. Basically an hard "on" position.

My reostat doesn't do anything even though it is NOS. I am fine with that as the wagon needs full heat when stationary and cold out. (35F and colder)

To use the whole switch you would need a jumper for the fan wire two the 10 and 2 terminals.

Hopefully this helps you. I had one of those heater reostat knobs in my old Chevy but they burned up so frequently that I always learned to go full on. I apply that here too and after checking - don't really have a choice......

Your truck is looking great. Maybe our local group (Auggie, yourself, me and any others) will have to setup a Willys area at the Ottawa show next year.
85952495f9179a7a672df2a05a9d3827.jpg

John - I went and tested and metered my switch.

In the photo posted here the top of the photo is up. The left side is the dash metal and the right side towards the front of the wagon.

The bottom pin is my 12v+ power. The 10 o'clock pin (closest to the camera) is the fan motor wire. The unused 2 o'clock terminal is off of the reostat.

I use my switch with the off position being the knob rotated all the way to the right stop. In this position with the fan wire hooked to either terminal(10 or 2) the fan is off. Plus in this position the words on the knob match the rest for placement.

When I rotate my knob to the left I feel the coils of the reostat until I get to a soft stop. At this point the fan is at full speed - but powered through the reostat. One further click to the left on the knob and the reostat loses power and full 12v+ volts goes out of the 10 o'clock terminal and doesn't pass through the reostat. Basically an hard "on" position.

My reostat doesn't do anything even though it is NOS. I am fine with that as the wagon needs full heat when stationary and cold out. (35F and colder)

To use the whole switch you would need a jumper for the fan wire two the 10 and 2 terminals.

Hopefully this helps you. I had one of those heater reostat knobs in my old Chevy but they burned up so frequently that I always learned to go full on. I apply that here too and after checking - don't really have a choice......

Your truck is looking great. Maybe our local group (Auggie, yourself, me and any others) will have to setup a Willys area at the Ottawa show next year.
85952495f9179a7a672df2a05a9d3827.jpg

Thanks Ben!
I appreciate you doing that for me. I'm sure you had better things to do last night than wedge yourself under the dash. By the way, how DID you do that? Aren't you 6 feet +++. I'm in for Ottawa! If I'm not on the road by then, I never will be. Just waiting for the front clip to come back from paint. Based on the time it took to paint the cab, I'll see you in Ottawa in 2020[emoji30]

dc0b71a960965e988e7f37b4110615ba.jpg
ece54bcb5c3e7a236ce32af1a9e714de.jpg
371a662f10e9b011f4dabc667451ce7d.jpg
. Seats and floor mat/padding in. Putting in the back window tonight[emoji3]. I can't finish my doors because all of the parts suppliers have the rear wind wing vertical weatherstrip on backorder. Bummer

How does it feel to sit in your truck?

Pretty awesome considering the last time I sat in it I was on bare springs[emoji1360]. Fits pretty well, not too crowded. Kinda "nascar feeling" that close to the wheel[emoji3]

Pretty awesome considering the last time I sat in it I was on bare springs[emoji1360]. Fits pretty well, not too crowded. Kinda "nascar feeling" that close to the wheel[emoji3]

I know what you mean. I can only release the clutch pedal with the window crank in the forward position......

Hi John. That engine that is on your first page is just beautiful! What color red did you use? The rest of your build looks just as nice. What a great job!

Back