Pete's 1960 Wagon

Got the main seals and oil pan back together yesterday on the wagon. The Fel-Pro snap-up dealios helped a bunch holding everything in place.
Replaced the lower radiator hose, the old one appeared to be the factory original. There was nothing wrong with it, but it was something that rattled around in the back of my brain every time I got too far off the beaten path...
I noticed when I removed the fan belt, that it was missing about 6 teeth, not much holding together. It pays to look under the hood once in a while I suppose :) .
Everything seemed to go back together just right, but I won't know until I fire it up.
Still need to add coolant, a new fan belt, and oil/filter. The old nylon crush washer that was on the drain plug was toast, and nothing like it available locally so I'll have to order something.
More to come,
Pete

Good news/bad news... I filled the coolant and oil, and fired up the wagon today.
I let it run up to temp, and checked for leaks.
The rear main is dry after running for about 1/2 hour, much to my relief.
However, there is a steady stream of oil coming off of the front passenger corner of the block between the engine mounting plate and block. It appears to be the engine mount plate, not the front main or filler block on the pan gasket. Bummer, I'm going to have to pull the water pump and timing cover again, and then timing gears and engine mount plate to get to the seal between the block and plate...
I think I can pull the front stuff off without disturbing the pan gasket.
Ugh, didn't want to get in that deep. But, here we go...
Pete

Good news/bad news... I filled the coolant and oil, and fired up the wagon today.
However, there is a steady stream of oil coming off of the front passenger corner of the block between the engine mounting plate and block. It appears to be the engine mount plate, not the front main or filler block on the pan gasket. Bummer, I'm going to have to pull the water pump and timing cover again, and then timing gears and engine mount plate to get to the seal between the block and plate...
Pete
Think I need to do the same on the 56 Wagon.... dang it, I'm gettin too old to keep laying under a vehicle!

Funny! I made mine from a box of urethane skateboard wheels that I bought at a yard sale for $5! That was in 1990. Still like new.
A little late to this post but hockey pucks work great for body mounts

I'm out for the RFTH Rally. I've got an MRI on my knee tomorrow and an Appt. with the Orthopedic Surgeon next Monday. Oh Joy. Just had the other one fixed 14 months ago.
Talk about Angry. My Orthopedic Dr called and can't get me in for Knee replacement till August. :mad: I have my GP Dr. office getting referrals to 3 other Ortho Docs local that do the Robot assisted surgery and get you in and out quickly. Still Waiting.:rolleyes:

Pete
HOUSTON, we have mission creep!

Pete
Bummer Pete. Gotta be tough to find Willys time with your schedule.

Pete
Sorry to hear it, Pete.

The front is these engines is a mess. Mine doesn’t leak much, but what does leak is from the front.

The large gasket between the engine block and the engine support plate extends down to cover the front of the forward filler block, which has gaskets intersecting each other on three surfaces. It’s a rat’s nest.

Assuming yours is a new leak, it must be related to work done when the timing chain cover was off, right? Any reason for that? Might there be a way to better seal the area without removing the engine support plate? Does oil still have a free drain path back into the pan?

Dunno, just spit-balling here.

Sorry to hear it, Pete.

The front is these engines is a mess. Mine doesn’t leak much, but what does leak is from the front.

The large gasket between the engine block and the engine support plate extends down to cover the front of the forward filler block, which has gaskets intersecting each other on three surfaces. It’s a rat’s nest.

Assuming yours is a new leak, it must be related to work done when the timing chain cover was off, right? Any reason for that? Might there be a way to better seal the area without removing the engine support plate? Does oil still have a free drain path back into the pan?

Dunno, just spit-balling here.
The leak that was there was significant. I thought it was the crankshaft seal in the timing cover plate.
Now that everything is clean, and I can see the fresh oil, it looks like it is coming from between the engine mount plate and the block in the front passenger side corner. The oil looks like it is coming out above the and in front of the pan gasket/filler block.

I don't know if it is the same leak or a new one... regardless, its going to have to come apart to see what is really going on.

I ordered a new engine mount plate gasket and another timing cover gasket. In order to do the engine plate gasket, the timing chain and gears have to come off, so I bought a new chain too. The old one had more slack than spec.

Sitting here typing, and thinking about it, there is a couple of bolts from the inside through filler block and the engine mount plate that will require pulling the pan... damn.

With my timing chain replacement, the sprockets were pretty badly worn as well.
I'm getting to the point where i might as well swap in the rebuilt 6-226 that I've had sitting in my garage for the last 8 years, almost as much work.
It's a bit of an unknown though...

The leak that was there was significant. I thought it was the crankshaft seal in the timing cover plate.
Now that everything is clean, and I can see the fresh oil, it looks like it is coming from between the engine mount plate and the block in the front passenger side corner. The oil looks like it is coming out above the and in front of the pan gasket/filler block.

I don't know if it is the same leak or a new one... regardless, its going to have to come apart to see what is really going on.

I ordered a new engine mount plate gasket and another timing cover gasket. In order to do the engine plate gasket, the timing chain and gears have to come off, so I bought a new chain too. The old one had more slack than spec.

Sitting here typing, and thinking about it, there is a couple of bolts from the inside through filler block and the engine mount plate that will require pulling the pan... damn.
If you try to fix the leak, IIRC (and Kurt can check me out this) I believe the mount plate has threaded holes for the timing cover. Those holes are often stripped out. So it's worth the effort to support the engine and remove the plate to check the threads. As the saying goes, ask me how I know.....or don't.

If you try to fix the leak, IIRC (and Kurt can check me out this) I believe the mount plate has threaded holes for the timing cover. Those holes are often stripped out. So it's worth the effort to support the engine and remove the plate to check the threads. As the saying goes, ask me how I know.....or don't.
Usually the holes that strip go through the timing cover and the lower part of the engine support plate and into the front filler block, which is pot metal. It is important to use bolts that are long enough to engage as many of the pot metal threads as possible to avoid stripping.

Pete’s issue sounds like it is higher up than that.

Usually the holes that strip go through the timing cover and the lower part of the engine support plate and into the front filler block, which is pot metal. It is important to use bolts that are long enough to engage as many of the pot metal threads as possible to avoid stripping.

Pete’s issue sounds like it is higher up than that.
I think those are the bolts, in my case, that go all the way through the front filler block and have a nut on them because they were previously stripped out by someone long ago. Which is why I will have to pull the pan again to get to them from the inside...
I have new gaskets on the way, and will pull it apart this week. I was planning to take the wagon to Moab in a couple of weeks, so need to get-r-done.
Going to get under there with a bright light and see if I can get a better look at exactly where the oil is coming from first.

Back