- Sep 17, 2009
- Hailey, Idaho
- First Name
- Willys Model
- Willys Year:
Click here to read all about the arrival of my wagon and a bunch of pictures of what the wagon looked like when it arrived on my doorstep...
I did some searching around a bit for another axle over the last couple of weeks and the best I came up with is a complete running drivetrain and frame from a '62 wagon for $750 that is a couple of hours away. The seller wants to sell it to someone with a 2wd that is looking for 4wd running gear, and doesn't want to part it out. I didn't really want the engine, and it likely has most of the same issues as the stuff I already have, so I decided to just work with what I've got for now.
I'm not sure yet if I want to keep my wagon stock or not, I have only driven it around the block once. Until I get a feel for what I've got, I don't really want to dump a bunch of cash to rebuild the stock stuff yet. With that in mind, and the fact that I don't have any cash anyway, I got after my rear axle this weekend and got it cleaned up and ready to use.
Here's what I started with, bad welds on scavenged axle spring perches. This wagon was apparently converted to SOA at some point, and then changed back again. Both front and rear axles have spring perches welded on the top side of the axle.
The spring perches that were put back on the bottom of the axle to change it back to SUA were cut off something else and booger welded to this axle, and were put on almost 2" off center :roll:
I cut all four of the perches off of the axle and cleaned up the tubes so I could weld new perches on in the right place.
I also welded up the hole that was burned through the tube by the hill-billy welder that put the old perches on.
I bought new perches from Ryan, The Jeep Guy, check out his stuff from the link on the portal page.
Got the axle in place under the wagon, adjusted the pinion angle, and tacked the perches in place. Pulled it out again, welded the perches on, and sprayed some paint on them. I'm going to paint the whole thing, ran out of paint that I had on hand.
The next issue is the rear brakes, they are missing all of the e-brake hardware, the shoes are just about gone, and the wheel cylinders are, I think, from the front. The cylinders don't have flare fitting holes in them, and they had rubber lines that ran to a hard line to the "T" fitting that went to another rubber line to the frame. The cylinders don't have the right bolts holding them to the backing plates, stacks of washers because they are too long, etc. And, outer axle seals are bad too.
I think I'm going to just shit-can these brakes and buy the 11" brake kit from The Jeep Guy.
These are Bendix self adjusting brakes and come complete with new drums and backing plates, and all the shoes/ebrake hardware. It's a bolt on deal, so if I decide to swap the axle for another in better shape at some point, I can keep the brakes and move them over to another Dana44.
That's it for now... more to come.