Oct 26, 2016
Gardner, Kansas
First Name
Ben
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
It will just make the trip a little better when you finally get to take it.

Edit: Ben, your delay might have been a blessing. It was 28 degrees at my house two nights ago (May 21st). Seems like even summer is getting a late start! I have found out that 50-60 degree weather is perfect for Willy's riding weather. Nothing like going around and emptying all the irrigation pumps at the end of May. Gotta love Wyo!
50-60F is perfect, a little heat, a little chin vent, triangle window and go. Even a little warmer should be better than the warm start I had last year coming up.

Flinthillsben

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 26, 2016
Gardner, Kansas
First Name
Ben
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Ok. Here is the update as of D Day -5.

The trip will depart in a few weeks. It will be reverse flow of what I posted above. I will follow the usual Oregon trail up and then back through Colorado and across Kansas. As soon as we are done packing the house I will do a short pre trip punch list on the wagon in prep.

More to come.

Flinthillsben

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 26, 2016
Gardner, Kansas
First Name
Ben
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Alright. The movers have emptied our house out, the septic passed inspection and paperwork signing is Monday. My plan is the leave Friday the 18th in the afternoon and roll for Beatrice, NE. The next day I will zig and zag over to 2 and cross Nebraska for Lusk Wyoming or something generally like that. From there we will work over to Cody and YNP.

I plan to relocate the Willys the the family farm tonight or tomorrow, then Monday night start doing some service work on it for the trip. The highlights are:
New oil filter housing
Oil and filter
Oil the speedo and cable
Lube the door hinges
Clean it out
pack
Install WunderWillys Super Dizzy adapter
Set the points and timing
Marvel at that shiny new adapter
And we will see what else comes up.

@Pete - if you still want to meet up in the park somewhere let me know a day. I plan to be out that way for a week. Heading home the following Friday. Traffic in the park has been heavy - hitting pre covid highs - so I understand if not.

After all the stress and fun of the last 5 months this trip is going to be laid back. Cigar and pipe tobacco will be consumed. I will be debt free, house free and the family will be safely tucked away in Europe.

More to come, looking forward to listening to the transfer case whine.