Resurrecting the '57 ranch truck

Not much to report but there are little things happening. Mostly waiting for the Big Brown truck this evening.

Been soaking and cleaning hardware. I intensely dislike putting stuff together dirty and rusty. Just me. If you disagree, oh well.
View attachment 121138

My Mr Ass-ket fuel pressure gauge failed. Here is it's reading disconnected from anything. Slightly inaccurate.
View attachment 121133

Bought a shiny new, liquid filled Earls gauge. Once again, if you disagree with using a gauge that is certainly your freedom to have that opinion.
View attachment 121134

Warn linkage painted, greased and reassembled. To those familiar, does this look correct? I reassembled basically the way I found it.
View attachment 121135

Side of engine painted and I pressure washed everything on the side of the engine and under the truck that I could reach. Yes, before the comments, I covered the tappet area and fuel pump hole.
View attachment 121136

The happy couple waiting for the gaskets so they can renew their vows.
View attachment 121137

and that's about all until tonight/tomorrow.

Joe out.
I guess I don't have room to talk. I dug out my old Vacuum/pressure gage and dialed in the Holly 600 on the CJX. I think it's a bit worse for wear.
20220530_145755.jpg

As the oil leaks onto the exhaust and drivetrain, I am entranced by the aroma of molybdenum disulfide fumes.
Someone at work told me my scented candle(if ever I had one) would be gear oil, pipe tobacco smoke smell and a touch of bad gasoline.

I approve. (if I was a candles for something other than light kind of person..)

Someone at work told me my scented candle(if ever I had one) would be gear oil, pipe tobacco smoke smell and a touch of bad gasoline.

I approve. (if I was a candles for something other than light kind of person..)
Here’s your candle, Ben, in Sinclair green.
73FC9002-11A1-4643-87ED-E5405BC0726A.jpeg
Put it on your Christmas wish list. ;)

Marshall 0-15 psi gauge arrived today. Thank you Rodney.

Your manifolds look nice and clean Joe.
I am still wondering why your fuel pump is running so hot if your engine is operating comfortably at 180-degrees.
Could you show us peeps a photo of your cooling Fan and Shroud ?

You may not be pulling enough air through your radiator ?
Theoretically, your pump temps should be the same as your engine block temps.
What vacuum is your pump pulling ? If not sufficient to pull fuel demand I would think you'd have issues with supplying load demand ?

I'm just throwing out ideas.
You could install a forced-air duct which directs fresh air onto the fuel pump. (just kidding).

I hope your drive today goes well.

Hi Joe, I’m new around here and don’t own a Willys yet; I’m in learning/preparation/research mode. Having read Vintage Don’s amazing Oklahoma farm truck saga, I’ve moved on to yours - also beautifully written - and am up to page 25. A couple of questions/observations:
1. Do you ever add a hardener catalyst to Rust Oleum to help it dry/cure faster? I too am a fan of R.O., consider it a great value, but adding a catalyst makes it significantly stronger in my experience. I’ve also used the same Transtar epoxy and Nason single stage urethane as you for various bits of my projects (German sports cars in recent years).
2. I was advised to gently anneal copper washers years ago, likely as a way to re-use them, but also to get them to seal better. An Alfa Romeo mechanic taught me that.

I’ll get back to page 25 now …

Thanks very much for all you share in this thread.

John, in Conn.

Hi Joe, I’m new around here and don’t own a Willys yet; I’m in learning/preparation/research mode. Having read Vintage Don’s amazing Oklahoma farm truck saga, I’ve moved on to yours - also beautifully written - and am up to page 25. A couple of questions/observations:
1. Do you ever add a hardener catalyst to Rust Oleum to help it dry/cure faster? I too am a fan of R.O., consider it a great value, but adding a catalyst makes it significantly stronger in my experience. I’ve also used the same Transtar epoxy and Nason single stage urethane as you for various bits of my projects (German sports cars in recent years).
2. I was advised to gently anneal copper washers years ago, likely as a way to re-use them, but also to get them to seal better. An Alfa Romeo mechanic taught me that.

I’ll get back to page 25 now …

Thanks very much for all you share in this thread.

John, in Conn.
Hey John

I have used hardener (not catalyst like true catalyzed paint) and yes, the result has more gloss. My RO experience is that gloss enamel sprays with a very wet look but dries and cures to less wet, more old school enamel finish.

Yes, I've heard of annealing copper washers. Particularly if you need to reuse them.

Enjoy the read but beware of the apparition that appeared in/on my speedometer. :D

Back