Resurrecting the '57 ranch truck

The Marshal gauges are supposed to be a good gauge.

Rocket beat me to it. Those Marshall gauges are great. I use them on all my old vehicles.
43C17C6E-37AA-4CA4-A79E-AA7D3EF7719A.jpeg

I just wrapped the exhaust pipe by my new G56 in my 97 2500 Dodge. Had to be the same stuff. Itched like crazy after having it wrapped around my arm half of the time! Kevlar/Fiberglas maybe?
What is a G56?
I agree about the material.
Rocket beat me to it. Those Marshall gauges are great. I use them on all my old vehicles.
View attachment 121229
I ordered the 0-15 Marshall gauge. Should be here Thursday.
A new to me gauge brand.

I've been pondering your "vapor-lock" woes.
Not so sure your pump is up to task, AND, wondering if you are running a Fan Shroud on the Stakebed.
Your engine may be running on the Hottish side while temp gauge is showing normal operating temps.

Maybe shoot your "hot" fuel pump with a temp gun. Then solicit another member to shoot their's with a temp gun as a comparison. ?
For some reason, I have the gut feeling your operating temps are too high.
And, if you have any sort of air leak in your fuel line fittings, your pump will have difficulty pulling fuel generously.
May have a restriction in fuel lines where supply cannot keep up with demand.

You are making a most dedicated effort to run the stakebed Joe. Way to hang in there ! Remember, _ _ _ cuss quietly. :)

When I checked a suspect pump fail on my 429 (ford) late last year it was pulling 20 inches vacuum and pushing 7 inches.
My guess without looking up spec's is your pump should be puling at least 12-inches or more, and maybe pushing 7-inches.

What is a G56?
I agree about the material.

I ordered the 0-15 Marshall gauge. Should be here Thursday.
A new to me gauge brand.
G56 is the late model Dodge diesel 6 speed! Got damned tired of repairing the NV4500 5 speed that came in it. Just waiting for my driveshafts to wrap up the conversion.

Some work today.

I decided to check the point gap. I could feel a bump on one contact. So further decided to buy new points.
20220529_103555.jpg

I'm not happy with new points spring tension. Feels much lighter than old points. I don't want points bounce at 7000 engine rpm. ;)

So I filed the old points.
20220529_150617.jpg
Lookout Ranch Authorized Willys Service and Repair advises removing the distributor and bench servicing. So I'm spraying the distributor mounting area to increase my chances of a crack free removal.

My old door cards were either warped or decayed. I've been running with no panels for awhile. Gettin' loud in there. Time for an interior upgrade.

I made one panel yesterday but did not document because I was uncertain of the outcome. The first panel us nice enough that I took pictures of the second build.

Laying panel one over material for numerous two. Be sure to have finish sides laying against each other or you'll get two of the same side.
20220529_112513.jpg

After cutting with a worm drive saw, hole saw the various holes.
20220529_143651.jpg

I cut the corners with my offset aviation snips.
20220529_143730.jpg

The mounting holes get fuzzy on the backside after drilling them.
20220529_144655.jpg

So I clean the fuzz with a handheld step drill bit.
20220529_144652.jpg

Then I used a palm sander and 180 grit to even up the edges and sand the burrs.
20220529_144723.jpg

This was the result.
20220529_144855.jpg

and with Rustoleum paint I rolled on after spraying a light coat of spray can automotive primer.
20220529_150357.jpg

They are curing now. I suspect two days or so.

Joe out.

I
G56 is the late model Dodge diesel 6 speed! Got damned tired of repairing the NV4500 5 speed that came in it. Just waiting for my driveshafts to wrap up the conversion.
I did the Eaton Fuller Mid Size truck 6 Speed conversion in my 3500 12 valve. The whole works, bell housing with a 14" clutch all came out of a 99 Ford F700 with the 12 Valve Cummins.

I never used it back then. I know Burt Monro could have used it in the Worlds Fastest Indian.

Now you've got me upset! ;) I still have a short length of header wrap and I remember using it on SOMETHING. :rolleyes: But for the life of me I can't remember what.:mad: Thanks Joe! I'lI think of it at 3:00AM :(
I figured it out. 4:00 in the morning of course. My Trackmaster BSA Half Mile bike used to have Scrambler High Pipes. both up the right side. I burned my leg so many times I finally wrapped them.IMG_20180320_133249.jpg

Back