Thoughts on a 68-year-old transmission

Can you take the T-90 out without removing the engine or putting the truck on jacks?

Not removing engine yes.

Not on Jack's, I say no.

But where there is a will there is a way.

I tried to do it without pulling the shifters and that was a fail as well.

I will say a T90 D18 combo is super heavy, I picked mine up a few years back from off the back of a truck bed and was instant regret! It's awkward and heavy and you don't really want to drop a fully rebuilt unit. I thought it was much lighter then it turned out to be.

With zero experience here is how I did mine. Thus just came up on another thread.

Can you take the T-90 out without removing the engine or putting the truck on jacks?
I could have, but I elected to pull the engine to complete some much needed frame work and also have a buddy of mine who knows these engines to give it the once over on the stand. The only thing remaining on the frame is the cab, and that's about to come off as well. Since all of this is my first rodeo I'm shocked at the simplicity of assembly and what really sticks these old trucks together. I've learned the camera is my friend along with zip lock baggies and a nice black sharpie.

Not removing engine yes.

Not on Jack's, I say no.

But where there is a will there is a way.

I tried to do it without pulling the shifters and that was a fail as well.

I will say a T90 D18 combo is super heavy, I picked mine up a few years back from off the back of a truck bed and was instant regret! It's awkward and heavy and you don't really want to drop a fully rebuilt unit. I thought it was much lighter then it turned out to be.

With zero experience here is how I did mine. Thus just came up on another thread.

That's a nice thorough write up on the tranny removal...some of the obstacles you had to overcome were not present in my truck....namely a nearly completely cheesed out floor pan and transmission hump. Minnesota vehicles, you see, give you the advantage of much more access via the topside when large sections of floor are missing! I can see where your run down of the removal on a intact vehicle would be of great help for folks. Nicely done.

That's a nice thorough write up on the tranny removal...some of the obstacles you had to overcome were not present in my truck....namely a nearly completely cheesed out floor pan and transmission hump. Minnesota vehicles, you see, give you the advantage of much more access via the topside when large sections of floor are missing! I can see where your run down of the removal on a intact vehicle would be of great help for folks. Nicely done.
Maybe one day I can finish the story! Little by little.

My only comment about the pictures and notes is that, especially on the "open" jeeps (MB/GPW/CJ2-3-5-6) so much has been bastardized by the time I get them that the manual is often a much better reference than how you found it. Just because "that's how I found it" isn't always valid.

I used jackstands and a transmission holding adapter on a floor jack. The latter was/is quite wobbly; a proper (floor model) transmission or ATV jack would have been better for someone a little less risk tolerant than me.

As noted above, if one was to drop the T90/D18 assembly, damage could be done to the units, the clutch plate or one’s own person: the are VERY heavy together.

You also need a jack under the engine oil pan because the cross member you’ll need to remove also constitutes the rear engine/trans/transfer case mount.

IMG_0667.jpegIMG_0665.jpegThe lower profile the transmission jack, the less high one would have to place the truck on jackstands.

Best, John

Something like this? $130 at H.Freight, so maybe half that on CList or Facebook Marketplace? Friend lend you one? The low profile would be quite handy. The good news is the rest of the tools you’d need should be pretty basic.

John

IMG_0737.png

While working on my 1955 pickup today, I decided to peek under the trasmission tower to see what I could see. I recently got the engine running for extended periods and was able to run it through all its gears without much difficulty, and it did what it was supposed to do albeit while up on stands. I suspect the transmission is all original as the casting date on the case read Feb 1955, and the assembly date on the top of the case read March 25, 1955. The photos below give you an idea on the general condition of the gear sets, my question is this: Do I go ahead and rebuild, or just leave well enough alone? I’m stripping the truck ahead of frame work, and the transmission and transfer case leak like they’re 68 years old. If the odometer on my truck is accurate to when it was parked, there are just over 40,000 miles on the old boy. I’ve included a few photos to let you register your opinions. If I do undertake rebuilds, it’s beyond my comfort level to do myself so a shop would be going the work.
Kris,
Given time, interest and a follow-through mentality, doing almost anything yourself these days is a very good bet. But there's one point to be made here... how are you expecting your pickup to perform? Have you driven one like it before? Assuming the axles are 4.88 or lower, the T90 should work well (not so much in my 4.10 axle wagon). It's a "notchy" unit but I found it very enjoyable for what it is. If you are used to a modern 4/5/6 speed manual however, it is certainly different - primitive. The only reason I mention this is the amount of effort and expense in money and time involved, it needs consideration. Permit me to suggest considering an up grade to something else, if not now, perhaps in the future. I went the T19 all synchro 4 speed unit and am well pleased, if I forget the cost.

Back