1963 230_OHC Wagon "Daisy"

OK OK! I'll go pick 'em up!!
Jeez Tim, shall I fly you out so you can go to HB with me? You WILL get a ride in the V8 Wagon tho...

Couple o' things:
Both of my spares tilt. Only barely noticible from the back and not even so with the tailgate up
Save the wood block. People are actually looking for those.
(I'm looking for the mushroom bolt, PM if anybody has one)

Looks like a good fit with the stock seat!

Had to look up 'Cave Cricket', gee-narly! Thankfully we only find Western Diamondbacks in our shed ;)

Got the rest of the old tires off the rims today and started the process to get a bench cleared off of parts and pieces to start on the clutch parts.

Had way too much volunteer work in May to really think about trying to do this work, since I had already made those commitments months prior to buying this figure finish those.

So over the next few days should be making some progress each day is the plan. And plans change so will take it as it comes. But it's looking good.

Made some adjustments on the lift plan, have a decent level of room for not having a lift.

Have about 22" clearance on the back and 20" on the front.
20220609_133657.jpg

And it's real stable. These leaf springs are super tired, I have all the new ones to do and it needs it for sure.

Was able to stay pretty organized on the tear down, will it stay that way who knows. This thing is really clean by the lack of mess I had to pick up. Pretty lucky. It's grime and greasy for sure don't worry about that. But not bad at all.
20220609_194630.jpg20220609_194712.jpg

Had a visitor, daughter wanted to see what I was working on.
20220609_194821.jpg

So bad news l, it's not just a throw out bearing that was making all that noise. Nothing we can't take care of, I think I still have an extra T90 at the shop if this has major issues, but will have to shift gears a little bit was hoping not do a full rebuild, but not in the cards. Will have to dig in and see what we are up against.
Screenshot_20220609-194440_Gallery.jpg

Was a great day overall, very easy to pull this out and was super safe and never sketchy which makes it nice.

I jacked up under the oil pan from the front then from the inside used a 2x4 and thru the tunnel strapped up the Trans and XC then removed the Crossmember to put the Trans jack under the unit.

Of course I made a mistake thinking I did not have to pull the shifters, that was a quick delay, and grabbed some dinner and came back popped them off and was out in about 10min after that.

Everything sorted into nice baggies as I went.

Need Ujoints for sure and some smalls, and lots of clean up of parts.

Thanks for reading.

I thought Daisy was a runner?
She was... but with the clutch pressed in there was a horrible bearing noise that I thought was the throwout bearing was super dried out. Which is probably still the case its pretty dry in there.

I figure address that clutch deal first as that's the largest item I have the least experience with.

When I pulled the Trans you can see that novak site Item 4 "Slinger, front input bearing" is all torn up and there is a ton of play on the input shaft in general.

Video will be uploaded here shortly, at the blazing speed my DSL supports probably don't wait up for the 26 sec deal.

I watched a rebuild video and it looks pretty do able.

I could pop off the cover of the other T90 on the one 230 OHC at the shop and see how that looks inside, I don't know really probably in the same boat with a rebuild.

If parts are available Novak seems to.have the best website to pick up parts from.

My original plan was to do the clutch and then rebuild the Trans and XC over the winter.

I thought you had an entire M715 4 speed set up. Why waste time on the T90 when you have an (un-breakable) 4 speed.
Current Inventory
Qty 2- T90
Qty 2- T98
Qty 1- T86 (2WD side shift)

Qty 2- D18

I don't have the transfer case set up for the T98's.

The T98's are mated to 230 OHCs so they are the M715 bell housings which are all set up and look complete.

Just not familiar with how to get that divorced transfer case mounted and where do I get that set up.

I held off getting that Overdrive for the D18, I was waiting to pull this out.

Good thing is I have a lot of clean up here and lots of other projects I can jump on like the leaf springs and the sort, brake lines and all that stuff that is nice to do with the Trans and XC out.

Here is a good thread on the T98 swap. It sounds rough.

Last edited:
Going to look at this set up found on Marketplace.

If it's good will be following me home.

I don't like painted "rebuilt" stuff but if it's half decent might get me thru a long down time. Will check my Input shaft and maybe pop off the PTO cover to see the number of teeth, looks like 26 is older, 29 is newer.

Not sure how much I can tell with just the top cover off on the T90, I can spot really bad stuff. But no expert, never had one apart yet.

I turn in to a Pumpkin end of July for a bit.

The investment here is in time it's 2hr away again, which is you know 5-6hr investment. So it not choice number 1, but let's roll the dice here.

20220610_090703.jpg

Well picked up that Trans and XC, started a separated thread on that to see what the heck I bought its nice for sure.

20220610_181442.jpg

Well while there the guy had a few tables set up of extras he had from some other projects, figured it was a good time to pick up some parts. It was not what I was trying to do today, as I said plans change.

20220610_181949.jpg

20220610_181722.jpg

Here is a short list. Picture has all the stuff in it.
  • Aluminum Radiator and Shroud
  • Heater Box re-core with good valve.
  • 2 speedos 0-90
  • Brake line kit for wagon, hoses, and Misc brake parts.
  • Shifter Boots for XC and Trans
  • D44 axle, at least it's marked 44 on it.
  • D25 axle, I think this is a later one with the cross over what I call 230 OHC steering. (62 and later is what it is)
  • Set of small mirrors
Overall they had no more Willys, I had some extra cash on hand so it was a win for all.

And if I screwed up buying the Trans and XC then these smalls will make up for the gas and time spent.

Input bearing is beyond shot and this snap ring deal was just sitting in the bearing retainer. And is missing a bunch of parts that did not fall out yet.

20220611_161306.jpg

Went to our local Napa and out of all the Spicer 1310 Ujoints they only could scare up 2 of one kind and 1 of another.

So will see, 2 were pretty loose no surprise there. Not a super high cost on these. Should be able to find a 4th to match, or will order in.

These appear to be the sealed ones, should last a long time for my use.

20220611_170810.jpg

Got as far as I could today with the new Trans, swapped the input bearing retainer and that's a wrap besides oil.

Might need to look into the Speedo gear on the XC to see what's what there.

Screenshot_20220611-163804_Gallery.jpg

Check this cool turn signal out on the Wagon, it's the little things for sure that are most fun with this project.

I don't recall my truck one making noise. It's pretty neat. Did not figure out how to stop the hazards at first. But pull out and then turn the signal.

It seems pretty old because it's all metal.

I have a similar one. When they start to wear out the brake lights are usually the first to go so watch out for that. Otherwise a great turn signal unit!

That was much simpler then Simple Tire, I don't know the price difference but they were delivered as purchased and as listed, with no 45 minute phone calls and reorders and refunds. But if I was using an independent installer I would try simpletire again, I just think it was bad luck or a full moon.

Tire Rack is 3 for 3 for my stuff.

View attachment 120798
I have ordered tires from both with no issues, but they shipped to me and I installed them. The UPS guy loves it when I order tires.

I have a few pounds of this stuff, amazing how packed the cross member was with it, scraped for about 30min so far, have a little bit more to do.

It's a great preservative should bottle it up and sell it by the ounce.

This is the cross member and that channel was packed in there 100% full, but since it's oil soaked there is no real rust on this part.

I just put it in a bucket and scrapped it to get most of it in the bucket and keep the mess down.

Screenshot_20220613-170854_Gallery.jpg

I have a feeling I got a little piece in my left eye last Thursday, it's been swollen for a few days and hurt pretty bad Sat PM and Sunday, don't remember getting any in there and I'm almost always in safety glasses, maybe I wipped my eye or something, not sure. I think it's getting better in a few days. Was better today, not 100%. There is nothing I can feel or see in there.

There are a million ways to do anything, here is how I removed my transmission.

I will say up front this is my first time removing a Willys 4WD set up so my experience level was say Medium. I started a separate thread on the clutch and asked a bunch of questions. As simple as they were folks entertained them and gave some good feedback.

I just took my time and put everything in little baggies and marked small pieces of paper what was what. And most of all be safe and don't risk it.

The assembly is a little under 200lbs, I think it's 168lbs somehow I ran across that somewhere else.

Some mistakes I made were trying to leave the shifters in place, since I had enough room to get the Trans physically out from under the vehicle I thought I could skip that, but I did not count on the shifters not be able to physically allow the assembly to slide back far enough.

Another mistake was trying to lift the complete assembly off the jack by myself I was able to pick it up but that was about it, it's pretty awkward and gets real heavy. I would have used my engine hoist to move it around, work smarter not harder.

Overall it was very straight forward.

I also left out that I sprayed down all bolts with Kroil prior to removal. That could be done a for a few days prior if really rusted. Mine were OK.

T90 D18 Transmission Removal Steps

Trans Removal

Attachments

• Willys Wagon Transmission Removal(1).PDF
    200.6 KB · Views: 37
Loads of fun eh,?
I think I mentioned how many times I dropped that mess out of my 2A.
I always pulled the shifters right after the first thing: draining the oil.
I made a cover for the T90 shifter hole out of door skin that was thoroughly coated with yellow oil paint (so I could spot it amongst the junk)
I'd guess the shifters weigh a few pounds, and they are SO in the way!

Back