Apr 30, 2024
Newport news VA
First Name
Matthew
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
55 Willys overland pickup. My steering is shot and the people who sell the components flat out told me they will probably never come back in stock. So as opposed to looking for a survivor I'd like recommendations on what's the easiest route to go as far as converting my steering would be. I have the inline 6 226 stock. I've heard of herm the overdrive guy and looked at both his manual and power steering conversions but can't find any good step by steps of how to install or reviews of how simple the process was. Out of 5 wrenches I'm a 2.5 to 3 wrench mechanic.

I have heard that there are also Electric Steering units that assist manual steering setups. However, yet again I've failed to find any step by steps or reviews confirming I have all the tools necessary/skill to manage the job. I can cut and mold with fiberglass but I'm no welder so fabrication is limited.

I just found out about Astro van steering boxes. They are Saginaw but reverse rotation with the pitman arm pointing forward. I am planning on figuring out how to put one on my wagon.

Apparently it doesn't fit my application. I asked them the question and they said it only fit jeeps from 45-53.

They don't know what they're talking about. You absolutely can take one back to stock or even better with some careful rebuilding.
If they do not know what they are talking about, then you tell us where can one buy actual quality parts for the original steering box that will be delivered in a timely manner? Not just back ordered, this week would be good.

I am not going to buy ADA-OMIX parts, as they do not fit, nor will they last longer then a month or so. Thus, they do not count as quality parts. Heck, IMO they do not count as parts at all. They are #2 scrap metal at best.

I agree these boxes can be "rebuilt" IF one can find quality parts. My suppliers are telling me that they can not get the parts needed for a ""rebuild". Not parts that they are willing to warranty. So, IME, They do know what they are talking about.

I will follow this thread as I need to "rebuild" three steering boxes, one Pickup & two CJs.

My other option is, like Matthew, converting them to something more readily available. GM, Ford, Jeep, I do not care what, as long as it works well & I can expect to be able to find parts for it in 20 years or so. I am not convinced that any of the electric power steering conversion companies will be around in 20 years. I hope they will be, but I am not betting on that to be the case.

In my case power steering, at least for the CJs, is not necessary. For the pickup, it would be nice. Armstrong power steering works just fine for me, my wife likes "real" (her word) power steering.

Matt, Sometimes you just have to wait to get what you want.

I have posted many times on how to rebuild a Ross steering box. These are quite simple. There is the sector shaft, the worm tube gear, a couple of bushings, some loose ball bearings, a seal, a gasket and some shims. Don't use any aftermarket parts except for shims. The gear virtually never goes bad. Replace the pins in the sector. Buy bronze bushings the correct size, install them and have them honed to fit the sector shaft. Buy precision ball bearings from a bearing supply house. Make your own gasket. Replace the upper steering column bearing with one from a MB (I think). It can be disassembled and precision bearings installed. It also has a felt wick for oiling. Set up according to Moses Ludel's videos and you will amazed on how good a Ross box can steer with stock tires.

It's worth noting that Tim's wagon has the bell crank (crossover) drag link, which improves steering geometry overall (and is an advantage that's also gained by converting to a more modern box).

At this point, since good new parts are mostly not available, the service required on most stock Ross boxes is closer to remanufacturing than rebuilding. You need to be resourceful and find a machine shop that can do the work. Even after remanufacturing, it's still an antiquated unit that was primarily used on lawn tractors, with a certain amount of slop that can't be adjusted out. The Ross manual states that "backlash in the end positions is normal and not objectionable".

I've also seen enough stress failures of 70-year-old steel and cast pieces to have some concerns about trusting them. It doesn't keep me from driving my wagon, but is something I think about, and is making me consider alternatives. From what I've seen, every option generally requires some custom work. Nothing is 100% bolt on.

Matt, Sometimes you just have to wait to get what you want.

I have posted many times on how to rebuild a Ross steering box. These are quite simple. There is the sector shaft, the worm tube gear, a couple of bushings, some loose ball bearings, a seal, a gasket and some shims. Don't use any aftermarket parts except for shims. The gear virtually never goes bad. Replace the pins in the sector. Buy bronze bushings the correct size, install them and have them honed to fit the sector shaft. Buy precision ball bearings from a bearing supply house. Make your own gasket. Replace the upper steering column bearing with one from a MB (I think). It can be disassembled and precision bearings installed. It also has a felt wick for oiling. Set up according to Moses Ludel's videos and you will amazed on how good a Ross box can steer with stock tires.
My second problem with this is second only to the availability of parts for future repair/maintenance. It's other is that even a fully refurbished stock steering setup is still going to have play in it. I'd prefer to have a tighter more reliable steering setup for when I'm rolling 70mph down the road.

Back