Dimmwatt’s ‘57-2006 Rubicon Wagon

Glad to see this build again. I remember following along as you were still building this in the later stages.
Least the images are all still there and can link to them here in the posts. That is how the first part of my thread is done.
Pivnic needs to do his next. ;)

Hi Marcus... I Know, I know... I've been thinking about recreating Floyd's Build Log here on THIS Forum for some time. Hahaha, Thanks for the little Nudge! However, it won't be for a while as I am Slammed this Summer with a bunch of Custom Wood Working Projects that are pinning me to the wall! I just finished a floor to ceiling Kitchen Pantry Cabinet and got it out of my wood shop last night. Today I'm starting a two week project on my own house. Tomorrow June will be GONE already! But you're right Marcus, I think Floyd's Build Log will be in good hands right here on the Old Willys Forum! It still makes my blood boil how C.D. totally screwed up everyone's Build Logs. That was so stupid and now what's left of them on C.D. don't make any sense at all. Do You know what Marcus? This is ALL Casey's Fault for recreating his build log on here! Hahaha. Hey Casey, you are doing a good job getting your build log back together on here! :) I WILL get Floyd's Build Log on here hopefully this Winter. Take care you guys. Pivnic

Thanks for posting this. I had checked out your build on Cardomain a few years back. I truly appreciate the details. It is easier sometimes to copy rather than reinvent the wheel.

Duane

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Good to see you moving your build there here Casey, lots of great info for others to see.

Pete

Hi Casey. What did you use to fill the cracks in your steering wheel? How it lasting? Pivnic

John, I used that JB Weld stuff. Took a triangle small file and filed out the cracks, put in some JB Weld and put tape over it so it wouldn't run all over. Worked out pretty good so far, been about 3 years. Oh, to finish it off, just sand. It actually sands pretty easy.

Last edited:
John, I used that JB Weld stuff. Took a triangle small file and filed out the cracks, put in some JB Weld and put tape over it so it wouldn't run all over. Worked out pretty good so far, been about 3 years. Oh, to finish it off, just sand. It actually sands pretty easy.

Hi Tom, How are you guys doing? Thanks for that info. That makes sense as JB Weld is really good stuff. Did you have to do more than one coat to fill it all or to build it up? I can see JB weld lasting longer than Bondo. I just bought some Minwax 'wood putty' that you mix with a hardner like Bondo. I bought it to repair wood pecker damage. The ACE Guy said that that when this stuff dries it's very hard. Its interior and exterior. I wonder how this stuff would work on steering wheels? Pivnic

Been to that lake. Not much ta look at, till ya park a Willys there.

Did ya catch any Catfish?

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

just breezed threw the thread, awesome job. the death is in the details lol. great imagination you put into the build.

stock TJ air con and heater. This thing is huge!! No way to fit this thing without removing the dash.

Pedals and TJ wiper motor

Stealing! Ive been trying to figure out where the heck I was going to put my wiper motor, this should work out perfectly.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have switched gears to the wagon in preparation for Moab. I decided to attack the mirrors first. Its always bothered me that they vibrate while going down the road.

the old one

There was a slight movement at the sheet metal in the door that amplified itself as it moved outward. I started by removing the door, then the bracing that I had put into the door previously. I made a new brace that is a C shape made of 1/8 steel to span the entire inside of the door.

Then I revisited the tubular bracket to mount the chevy mirrors that I had before. I thought I could improve on the design. I used simple tools to make all these. A band saw to cut the blank from the block. A drill press for the holes and the burr king for shaping and cleaning up the final product. Well maybe the burr king isn't simple...I sure love it though!!

I also thought that the mounting tabs I had made before were a bit weak.

Are the mirrors originally off a Square Body Chevy? Like the style where they ran horizontal instead of vertical? I like the look of them. They appear to stick out far enough to enable you to see past the fatter mid section of these wagons.

Holy crap! Good eye! I hadn't noticed the mirrirs were turned, but yes it looks like the '80s GM mirrors to me?

Yes they are. I wanted a west coast style mirror but something a bit different. The whole idea was to take something off the shelf and modify it in a way that it wasnt easily recognizable. Most people would not be able to look at it and say hey, thats a chevy mirror on that Willys. I came across these and thought I'd try it out. Its been a pain. If this doesn't fix the vibration, I'm starting over fresh.

Last edited:
I used a table router to round the edges. I had a small problem with the holes in the piece allowing the bearing of the tool to dip in. I filled the hole with hot glue. The first few passes, this worked fine, then the piece heated up, and the glue got soft. it caused a few dips in the radius edge. Its OK though its in a spot where you cant see it. I also got the 3 pieces of stainless welded and shaped to make the C.

Can't wait to hear how they work. Hope they don't wiggle around like every mirror I have tried on wagons.

I think I may copy your reinforcement in the door idea when I commit to doing the door latch surgery. (Harvested the Wagoneer fronts when I tore it down.)

I have to get to the DMV to pick up my black plates sometime next week. Going to put them on the mini van until the wagon is running.

Will text and stop by with a Soda.

i understand the vibrating mirrors, my little cummins shakes everything . when you look in the mirrors you can tell something is there, it might be a preius or a tractor trailer i dont know lol

Back