6 Cylinder Cummins Power '49 Pickup

Working on a custom modernized wiper setup on my truck. Any objections to TIG welding this metal sleeve to a 2 hole flange that mounts on the outside of the cowl?

B0829CD9-56D0-4C58-9F79-1D7A6E289D6F_zps7phjne5l.jpg

1D2ABBE0-9FEC-41A2-B5C2-CE2483DDEDB6_zpsuq4wnhsn.jpg

B318632D-8B40-45D0-BAA2-20DAE85474FF_zpsi6mnfobr.jpg

Last edited:
If you can tig weld that material, I don't see why not. Sealing it to the cab may be a concern. Stock and upgraded parts are likely available though. I made my complete wiper system out of Mazda pickup parts so mine park vertically.

I haven't decided yet if they will park vertically or horizontal. I will be keeping the opposing movement system though.

I had no choice with the parts I used. I think I would have had to rotate the motor 90 degrees and it would not fit under the dash. I mounted the wiper shafts through a piece of 1x1 tubing and shortened the arms to fit. I also shortened the main arm on the motor to get the proper degrees of sweep required. I do not have an intermittent setup, but I do have a momentary switch on the floor that I can tap with my foot to get one cycle.

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 45
I used this switch and module in my Jeepster. It is out of a 198? ford supercab truck. It has an intermittent feature and plugged right into the 70's ford wiper motor that I used

Attachments

• Speed Hut Guages 018.jpg
    Speed Hut Guages 018.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 22
That sounds like a pretty slick setup Nobling. I really like the momentary switch enginuity. Any pics of how the wipers look from the outside?

That should work out, the motors bolt to the flange on the inside? One motor each side? There are several different set ups here, I went with a worm gear flex cable thing, and mount the drive motor inside the engine compartment on the fender well. The intermittent foot switch sounds like a good idea... Is it just a push button switch?

I'm using the wiper motor and timer/relay electronics from the Jeep Cherokee I robbed the steering column from. There will be one motor. The wiper levers will have the pivot point opposite one another so that they will rotate opposite directions; meeting in the middle, then swinging down to the bottom of the glass, etc. Then I plan to somewhat remotely mount the motor and make a linkage to connect the motor lever to the linkage connecting the 2 wipers. Does that make sense?

That sounds like a pretty slick setup Nobling. I really like the momentary switch enginuity. Any pics of how the wipers look from the outside?
The switch is something off a piece of industrial equipment that I found laying around. I got tired of having to set my coffee down to turn the wipers on for just a light mist. LOL.

Attachments

• 100_4222.jpg
    100_4222.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 41
Ah ok, that sounds good ---- Do you still have room to work in there? lol. It was a PITA installing mine. Take some pictures as you go, that's an interesting setup.

Slick. They will look very industrial with either the flange on the exterior or the mounting bolts.

Amazing to see the stuff people fabricate. Was just listening to a guy tell me about his 2002 Wrangler "Build". He started with a stock jeep, lifted it, bumpers, tires etc. I smiled knowing you guys here build body panels, frames, heaters, pretty much anything you want on your rigs.

Anyways, love the details. Many builds never get the things like wipers etc built.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is the basic geometry I used. Dimensions A should be equal to get the same amount of movement on each side. Dimensions B and C inter-relate to get the proper degrees of sweep required. If I recall correctly , I measured the desired degrees of sweep and then laid it all out on cardboard. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3558.jpg
    IMG_3558.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 35
This is the basic geometry I used. Dimensions A should be equal to get the same amount of movement on each side. Dimensions B and C inter-relate to get the proper degrees of sweep required. If I recall correctly , I measured the desired degrees of sweep and then laid it all out on cardboard. Good luck!

Stealing this for my "later" file.

Thanks Noblng! Before I saw this I did a little mock up in Solidworks. I put the pieces i have done in so that I could make sure nothing was binding and I ended up cutting my tolerances too close for clearance under the dash. My "a" measurement center to center is 1-5/8" and it's just barely too long so it hits right next to the vent. I think I might be able to grind down the OD to clear.

Everything look fine? 12" blade. 10" arm on a 2-3/4" offset.

http://youtu.be/9cuavk_Tgko

Thanks Noblng! Before I saw this I did a little mock up in Solidworks. I put the pieces i have done in so that I could make sure nothing was binding and I ended up cutting my tolerances too close for clearance under the dash. My "a" measurement center to center is 1-5/8" and it's just barely too long so it hits right next to the vent. I think I might be able to grind down the OD to clear.

Everything look fine? 12" blade. 10" arm on a 2-3/4" offset.

http://youtu.be/9cuavk_Tgko

Love the video. :)

Spring loaded wiper arms cut up and TIG'd back together. Cut up some 18" blades for temporary 12" blades. Pretty happy so far.

1_zpsmasjb2jx.jpg

2_zpspuxtncy4.jpg

Hi Kris: I have Five 35 inch Mud Tires with Alloy Rims for Sale. Check out a picture of my 57 Willys Pickup (Floyd). The tires are like New. Shipping could be expensive from Colorado to Washington. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Pivnic

Nicely done! Now you need to find something like these. I think I got them at the wrecker from the same cargo van that I got my heater core from.

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 32
Back