Oct 23, 2015
Washington
First Name
Kris
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Been slowly working on a 49 Willys Pickup since June.
9" stretched cab, 6" stretched bed,
custom 2x4x.1875 rect tube frame, 94 Cummins 12 valve,
3 linked Dana 60 front, tri 4 linked Dana 70 rear, D2600 air bags all around.
Had it sitting on 32s during a lot of the mock up. Grabbed the 37s off the Cherokee the other day
to get some ideas. Thinking Ill end up running 35s.

Hoping to have it done here in a couple more months.

Ill do some back posting with dates to catch ya up.

Here's how the truck sat in July. Main sheet metal for the cab stretch done, cab, front clip, axles, and engine mocked up on the frame.

Thanks. Going to be a lot of body work on the roof. Its tin canned like crazy. Hope I can get it out. Im 6'3". Im running bucket seats and wanted to make sure I had room behind the seats for a little storage or speakers.

July 29th. Got to do some work on this thing. The wife was complaining that it was too high to get into, so I let all the air out of the bags to show her it could get lower. Lol

November 11th. Been slowly working on this thing. Had it sitting on 32s during a lot of the mock up. Grabbed the 37s off the Cherokee the other day to get some ideas. Thinking Ill end up running 35s.

Hoping to have it done here in a couple more months.

Floor was rotted so I redid the whole thing since I had to do the firewall anyway

November 17th. I got the 36 gallon fuel cell all buttoned up the other day and started it just to make sure there was no leaks in the fuel system. Im working on brake lines now. Then I think I will tackle shock mounts.

This is what I came up with for the gauge cluster so far.

Transmission mount I finished up the other day.

November 21st. Custom turbo manifold out of sheet metal? Sure! Why not?

December 4th. Took off the valve covers and cleaned all the paint off. Going to let the wife get crafty with them.

Checking out placement of the compound turbo setup.

Box full of stainless tubing.

My wife doing what she does.

Cut it a little close on the bottom turbo mounting.

December 13th. Got the transmission rebuilt. Buy custom pressure plates to fit extra frictions in your transmission? Naw... Make em.

December 23rd. Did some engine painting today. Going to use some yellow zinc bolts for the exhaust manifold and intake manifold. Help brake up the black and silver a little bit and add to the industrial look. Trying to decide what color to do the hard fuel injector lines.

Jan 1st. Got the frame all welded and painted.

And today. Got the axles all welded up and painted.

Kris,
Awesome Job!! I'll be following this. Fabulous metal skills:cheers:
Bill

Thanks for the compliments guys! Really anxious to drive it. I'm at the point where I'm trying not to lose patience on all the tedious stuff.

We have some very talented craftsmen on this forum. I feel fortunate to be able to watch and learn. Kris you make it look easy. Thanks for letting us watch the progress.

Ok in case you aint noticed it yet.... he says it is a 49 pickup? ....Hmmm.. no i dont think so...the cab ..possibly (square gauge opening)

but he has the 50+ rounded front fenders and hood along with the sharp V grille that looks to be a 56? (offset center grille bar) not bashin just sayin ...

other than that,... great job! looking really good! at that rate you will be on road before my crate is! i do wish my floorpans in my 51 pickup look like that!

(next major hurdle in my buildother that paint and body ) i got the pans need a body to install them. i am not doing it as not comfortable or confident at

welding yet.

Larry

Sorry. I have build threads on so many different forums sometimes I accidentally leave details out here and there.

49 cab (note small back window and square gauges). Mid 50s grill, hood, and fenders. I went with the V grill because I needed as much room in the grill area as possible in order to fit radiator, Trans cooler, AC condenser, and intercooler heat exchanger.

On that topic. Can I just simply cut out the bigger hole for the wider 50s window? Would be nice to have the visibility. If I remember right, on my boss's 56 the window hole doesn't have any special metal lip or anything. Just the hole in the sheet metal... No?

Thank you again for the kind words guys. IBPA, I may make it look easy but really it's the tools that I am fortunate enough to have available to me. These other guys on the forum that are working all their metal by hand are the real talented guys. That's art, I don't know what I would call I do. Lol

Back