1951 Willys Wagon project

Could you please share the source and post a picture of the reduction gear starter? Thanx!

The source is “alterstart systems” in Dallas TX. I have their phone number somewhere but can’t find it. They seem to not have a web site. But they list a lot of starters and alternators for sale on eBay- if you search eBay for “alterstart” as seller you should be golden. I’ll post a photo asap. They shipped instantly- I had it the day after I ordered.
AlterStart Systems
4919 W. Davis St.
Dallas, TX 75211

(214) 330-5900

Attachments

• Starter_Installed.jpg
    Starter_Installed.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I notice on the lower right side of my f134 block - an apparent plug. Mine is a bit mangled, and now would be a good time to replace it. But first - I think it prudent to know for certain what it is... I assume it's an oil galley plug, but I'm not finding it specifically labeled in diagrams.
It could just be a broken-off bolt in a mounting point.
Thanks for advice.

It's one of "those things"... it's not leaking, but it's not right. Good opportunity to create an unexpected full-day's work.

Attachments

• Block_Plug.jpg
    Block_Plug.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 21
That's for the rear starter mounting bracket. Your little starter apparently doesn't need it. I think it's 3/8-16 bolt broken off in the block. It's not a through hole.

BTW, I noticed 6 volt stuff on that starter website for modle A Fords, but not jeeps :-(
Maybe call them?

(214) 330-5900

Their customer reviews suggest they are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Maybe they'll cook something up for you...

Today I turned my short attention span to the body. Peeled the original Willys "cardboard" (?) off of the firewall... it's pretty much immaculate under that deteriorated paper. I've seen questions and speculation regarding "what color was the firewall originally"... I'd say this one (1951) was always zinc chromate or something similar behind the paper. Below the crimp it's some sort of (aftermarket I'd guess) undercoating stuff over what appears to be body color paint. See photo.
Firewall.jpg

Is that the rare windshield washer I see on the cowl? Do you have what resembles and old fashoined hot water bottle on the floor between the clutch pedal and the dimmer switch? My wagon has the remains of that but I think my squirters are different, I'll have to go out and look now.

Pulled the gauges. That's an interesting exercise. Thanks to an excellent thread on this site, I knew the gauges and bezel were held to the dash by little "barrel nuts" for which nobody I know has a socket. As described on this very site though, one can brute-force / finesse them using a 5/16 or so socket. Here's a photo of the culprit. It's #10-24 thread... so yeah those are not going back in the truck.

Gauges look pretty good, except their front gaskets are shot...
Barrel_Nuts.jpgGauges.jpgDash.jpg

Is that the rare windshield washer I see on the cowl? Do you have what resembles and old fashoined hot water bottle on the floor between the clutch pedal and the dimmer switch? My wagon has the remains of that but I think my squirters are different, I'll have to go out and look now.
It definitely has washer nozzles!!!
As for the rest, nothing has appeared. Now that I'm tipped off I will be looking for pieces.

Now that you mention it, my '67 Mustang had something similar to what you describe. It was fairly elaborate... the foot pedal pumped fluid to the washer nozzles and also activated the electric wipers. That all went to the swap meet, in favor of a more modern (and simpler) washer setup.

Last edited:
Looks like the cargo area was once used to store the engine and / or gearboxes ... so yeah there is a layer of oil, grease and dirt covering everything. Including the oak strips, sadly. It's all getting soaked with "purple degreaser" then I'll put the power washer to it. Good times.

Those webbing straps on the tailgate are interesting... not clear to me what they would be used for.

Attachments

• Cargo_Floor.jpg
    Cargo_Floor.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Tailgate.jpg
    Tailgate.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 34
I expect that carpeting on the side cards will be the next to go? Lol!!!
A circus somewhere is missing a tent. I guess that striped carpeting stuff would go pretty well with the '70s glued-on vinyl roof. Reminds me a bit of the "hippy van" conversions popular in the '70s...

The striped carpeting stuff had been covered-over later, by plain old tan burlap fabric. Note to self - burlap turns to dust after 40 years. That polyester carpeting on the other hand will be hanging out with the roaches in the post-nuclear apocalypse.

Last edited:
Back