Aug 29, 2022
Wellington, Colorado
First Name
Brad
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Just took delivery on the '51 Wagon project. First time I've seen it in person. I was interested in this one because it's mostly intact and had been in the same family since the '70s. Was running when parked, many years ago. It rolls and steers. First impression is: it has a bit more bondo than I expected, but nothing particularly shocking. And why is the front diff cover in a box, inside the wagon...
Willys_Front.jpgWillys_Side.jpg

Just took delivery on the '51 Wagon project. First time I've seen it in person. I was interested in this one because it's mostly intact and had been in the same family since the '70s. Was running when parked, many years ago. It rolls and steers. First impression is: it has a bit more bondo than I expected, but nothing particularly shocking. And why is the front diff cover in a box, inside the wagon...
Great project Brad! You’ll know you’re making progress when the answers outnumber the questions and you are credited with a save. Bravo.

Looks like a cool Wagon. Enjoy your project.

Took a quick look underneath. Surprisingly clean chassis. It was a Colorado vehicle as far as I know. Frame looks great.
Everything is covered in grease and grime, of course.

"Oh, I see you're running an open diff... cool."

Sleeping arrangements are a bit awkward for now. I expect the poor Willys to be evicted to the carport area while I strip it. But first I'm kinda interested in seeing if it will run...
Frame_1.jpgFrame_2.jpgOpen_Diff.jpgStacked.jpg

I'm not a fan of this wagon's tail lights. I assume the '51 Wagon had the single pivoting Tail / Tag light originally. In searching the forum, I see comments about going with the 1952 and later style of tail light in the body. I really don't want to do that... So asking for ideas / examples of safer, modernized tail lights that are still mounted on the tail gate.
Taillights.jpg
Thanks.

Nice save! I wish they were like that around here. I mean, it's even got a lower tailgate! Wow!!
Yep. The lower gate ... seems ... pretty good. However I just peeled a 1/4 inch thick band of fossilized bondo off of a dent (not rusted) under the door. So. There will be more not-exactly surprises - but basically I'm seeing a 70 year old vehicle that got a "spa treatment" 40-50 years ago. Then nothing much since...
Shrug.

The roof's sheet metal of my Willys Wagon is great... (it apparently had a glued-on "vinyl roof" at one time - remember those?) However, the roof is "butt-sprung" ... I'd assume from people deciding it woud be fine to sit on the roof. My plan is to support the imploded regions roof panel with added, salvaged roof support rails. If I can locate such rails.

Attachments

• Roof_Supports.jpg
    Roof_Supports.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm not a fan of this wagon's tail lights. I assume the '51 Wagon had the single pivoting Tail / Tag light originally. In searching the forum, I see comments about going with the 1952 and later style of tail light in the body. I really don't want to do that... So asking for ideas / examples of safer, modernized tail lights that are still mounted on the tail gate.
View attachment 126707
Thanks.
My 51 had these tail lights and I believe they were stock.

Attachments

• 0DDCD736-42D4-4EF0-8A47-55352C17216D copy.jpg
    0DDCD736-42D4-4EF0-8A47-55352C17216D copy.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 74
I like that! I have the left-side light already, with a broken lens....

I like your bumper too... I don't plan to go back with the wraparound side pieces. My Willys is a good example of what those side pieces do-I have significant body damage under both sides of rear bumper extension.
Acutally still pondering what bumpers I want. I really like some of the fabricated bumpers (e.g. Rocket's above), but I'm not interested in going full Moab... it's just not gonna be that kind of rig.

I like that! I have the left-side light already, with a broken lens....

I like your bumper too... I don't plan to go back with the wraparound side pieces. My Willys is a good example of what those side pieces do-I have significant body damage under both sides of rear bumper extension.
Acutally still pondering what bumpers I want. I really like some of the fabricated bumpers (e.g. Rocket's above), but I'm not interested in going full Moab... it's just not gonna be that kind of rig.
I may have an extra set. They are rough and will need new sockets.

Getting the body prepped for lift-off. I'd managed to block from memory how much time and effort goes into removing rusted / seized fasteners. I'm cautiously optimistic that the lower edge of the tailgate is usable. All the body filler I've peeled off so far is covering dents vs. hiding rust.
I'll get back to trying to start the engine once the replacement (Toyota Land Cruiser) starter gets here. Engine turns freely and the drained oil just looked like 40 year old 30 weight. Fogged the cylinders and turned a couple of rotations by hand with no drama.

Attachments

• Lower_Gate.jpg
    Lower_Gate.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 22
Lots of posts on this one. Looks like a Fun Project and Great work so far. Congrats on the acquisition. Keep sending Pics.
I also have a 51 Wagon and might be a little ahead of you on the rebuild. (Single Tail Light on mine)
We will have to compare notes as we go along.

Check some of my posts.
And yes the frame on mine was in excellent shape also. Must be the quality US Grade Steel from back in the day.
Can you guess that I'm originally from Pittsburgh?

So unfortunately, my original block was the 4cyl Go Devil. In the 70s someone scrapped it and put a 6-226 in.
When I got it that had a hole in a freeze plug. So I'm doing a vortec v6 swap as part of my rebuild. I'm hoping to fire that up this fall for a test. Maybe drive the chassis around the yard without a cab. LOL

Body work:
I removed/replaced the mangled firewall, floors and body sub frame (see other posts from me). If you have questions, I'm happy show you where I am at and how I got there.

Attachments

• 20210310_162101.jpg
    20210310_162101.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail (10).jpg
    thumbnail (10).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 50
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail (44).jpg
    thumbnail (44).jpg