Apr 5, 2014
Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Allright now then i have the windshield gasket in place around both pieces of glass ....however as you can see that one end is not tight fit to the glass what i want to know is this normal? IMG_20170524_155623979.jpg i dont think so... it should be a very snug fit all way around i am thinking this is the wrong gasket and that it is too big for my truck. if i am not mistaken...
i do believe that somebody even mentions this as having two different gaskets for the 50-51 trucks and the 52+ later trucks just want to confirm if this is going to be the case. going to be irritated if it is seeing as i told Walcks specifically for 51 truck so they would send me the correct gasket.

please advise if right or wrong?

Thanx
Larry

I think it should fit little tighter than what is shown. I don't remember what mine was but, I don't remember it having that much slop in it.

I have windshield gasket due to be delivered tomorrow from Walcks for 50 wagon. Same part supposed to fit from 46 to 60 models. Will advise how it goes but you have me worried

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That it is not the right fit for the gasket. It should be a snug fit. That will never work.

Sorry.

Just wondering, was the glass cut new or is that what was in the truck? If it was cut, that could be the problem. Use the rope you have there to measure the old gasket and the new one.

Last edited:
The truck did not have any glass or gaskets when bought 3 years ago so no way to measure old and new. the glass was cut new locally by a auto glass shop that specializes in classic car glass. This shop just so happened to have the factory glass patterns from 1950s for the Willys trucks/wagons he showed me the windshield, door, and wing window patterns and i have pics to prove it i even now have the NAGS numbers for them as well. i took old piece of door glass and did an overlay on the pattern and it fit perfectly so i know the glass was cut correctly so i am pretty sure damned gasket is too big wrong size for early 51 truck this gasket has to fit the 52 and later truck/wagons. I will contact Walcks and see what they have to say if they cant fix it, i might just cut the damn thing and make it fit.

Larry

Larry,
Set the two pieces of glass on a piece of cardboard, leaving a bit of space in between to approximate the center divider gap.

Trace them, and then cut the result out as one piece of cardboard.

Dry fit the result in the opening in the body (without the gasket) and see if you're close to something that will fit. If you are, then you likely have the wrong gasket. If you are not, it's the glass that's off.

If it's the gasket, and you can't exchange it for the correct gasket, have a look at post #3 here for a description of a way to field-vulcanize the cut ends back together:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17574

(and for a bit more loosely-related information: http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2443-Rear-window-glass&p=47220#post47220)

Well i just took piece of glass and overlaid into the opening and it ...Just barely catches the edge of the opening flange by 1/16 of inch top and bottom the glass measures 14"3/8 and i know the opening is approx 14"1/2 so glass might be hair small or gasket is too big gasket fit top and bottom of glass but very tiny bit loose
i will put gasket into opening and see what happens there if it is the glass will see if they make me new pieces 1/8" bigger. i know they cut it to pattern so why would it be wrong?

Rodger,.... if you could measure your glass height at both ends and width top and bottom and see what you come up with if it is different from what i got then i know it is the glass that may be too small.

Larry

My gasket arrived today fit seems slightly loose but reasonable. Will attempt installation after some rust repair
245c5f94da8b038f7e62f051b3f76168.jpg

Larry. Height both sides is 14 1/2 width top is 24 bottom is 24 7/16 hope this helps

Did my split last nite, easy peasy, what has everyone used for spacers? I recall something extra going between the bars to ensure the screws don't bottom out?

I got my glass and gasket from BJ Terrazzo, you guys should remember him as the used eBay parts guy from PA username wspa2538

He is cutting glass sets and they were perfect with polished edges and very well packed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172570944673

647655594807c2bb7ff3701c305ec377.jpg
06f471fec83dd406cf4ab2c71ed8aaa6.jpg
d0947251ad5fabfbb649d6493ffb0d83.jpg
8a3cd07cf3f0dcd1a6c79904d0b7c0bc.jpg
18dd463cdb9051bbb3df7fda8cf560f8.jpg
139d4b68409d42c4e490db8eeda152c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allright now then i have the windshield gasket in place around both pieces of glass ....however as you can see that one end is not tight fit to the glass what i want to know is this normal? View attachment 37191 i dont think so... it should be a very snug fit all way around i am thinking this is the wrong gasket and that it is too big for my truck. if i am not mistaken...
i do believe that somebody even mentions this as having two different gaskets for the 50-51 trucks and the 52+ later trucks just want to confirm if this is going to be the case. going to be irritated if it is seeing as i told Walcks specifically for 51 truck so they would send me the correct gasket.

please advise if right or wrong?

Thanx
Larry
ed
I just placed my windshield with a gasket from Walcks on an early 60 wagon, glass was cut locally with the old glass as a pattern and it look very similar to yours, just taped it up and it went in fine.
Dan

Dan was your gasket as loose and look similar to mine? Well that might be ok but seeing as the opening is 14" 1/2 inchs tall and my glass is only 14" 3/8 i think it is too short height wise and lengthwise it should be at least 24" where as mine is only 23" 3/4 at top. So am thinking to contact glass company and see what they will charge me to cut two new pieces seeing as i believe they miscut the first two despite the fact they used the factory pattern from 1950's. Be damned if am paying full retail on two new pieces you screwed these up you make it right i dont mind paying some but not whole thing. The bare glass just barely catches edge of opening by 1/16 inch all way around so am thinking even with the gasket it be next to nothing to push glass out as it is not being fully supported and secured properly. now am worried bout the door glass as well the wing windows are assembled an seem to be ok not sure what the door glass measurments are supposed to be. this really sucks as i should have had all glass in by now that was the plan anyway guess i will see what happens next week.

Larry

Installed split windshield with new gasket from Walcks yesterday. My first attempt at windshield install. Required some patience ( not my strong suit ) and massaging but turned out great. I inquired about spacers fitted to interior trim that scgilber asked about was told by Walcks that they are only intended to direct defroster flow so any type of foam will work

Larry,

I pulled down the glass that came out of my '59 wagon and measured. It is 14 1/2" tall. 24" wide at the narrow width and 24 5/16" at the wide. It also has a ton of adhesive that someone used at some point to install it. The way it is built up on the upper and center edges, it could have stood to be even another 1/16th" or more larger. I cut them out so no weather seal left to compare for you.

Hope this helps you sort out this pisser.

Duane
ad48cd051b59da90bbcaf9e59a119b27.jpg
92d6d2eb831ac59a532a992526243d8d.jpg
78564d6905be6b22db6e3185efe3bf8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I recently replaced the windshield in my '51 pickup with a gasket from Walck's and glass from Bob's Classic Auto Glass, My gasket was also very lose initially and I used alot of 2" masking tape to hold the gasket to the glass.Went in easy and seemed to fit OK.....however the first time I was out in the rain, I got a lot of rain running under the bottom part of the windshield! I don't want to have to put a lot of sealer in the bottom of the gasket, but will need to do something.

Ok well i contacted the glass compnay i had cut my glass and even took them the pieces and showed them the problem i was having and he did a overlay one the pattern he used and also on a hand drawn pattern from a 50 wagon there was a 1/8 inch difference between the factory pattern and the hand drawn one that you could see.
so for $100 he made me 2 new pieces using the hand drawn pattern and the gasket fits little tighter as i think it should have.

now i tried to install the windshield glass ...ummm no way no how!.... gasket seems to be too thick and big top and bottom

been told put ends in press the center it should pop forward.....no go tried to press in it place it wont go without busting the glass! took glass out of gasket and dry fit to the opening now it fits correctly so i know it is not glass? i have bottle of 75% dishsoap 25% water in spray bottle and had 3/16 nylon rope in the groove even took black gorrilla tape to hold gasket to glass...nothing doing! so now have email drafted to Carl Walck to see what he say of you guys cant help me figure out if or what the hell i am doing wrong? went at for an hour.....( yes by myself on purpose wanted to get this in without help if it is as easy as been told it should be then i could do myself )
i know there are two damned gaskets for these trucks 1 for early 50-51 and 1 for later 52 and up read and been told late gasket will absolutley not work with early trucks which its what the hell i think has happened. if so going to be very pissed off! i have event i wanted to attend in the truck and now cant really go
(yes i could but not the damned point i wanted all the glass in before i drive on the street)
got the wings assembled and ready to go in put the door glass in ......chipped drivers side ...*$$^%#@!%#!....

say here is a question for you how the hell is the inner door glass sweep held in place? if the outside felt sweep is held by those press in clips what holds the inside?
dont see no clips or anything to hold it less i am missing some parts i dont know bout?

so let me know what you think am out of ideas and very frustrated at this point this was supposed to be done in less then an hour so i stopped before i busted somthing ( still might... mood i am in!)

Thanx

Larry

The inner sweep is attached to the trim ring. Mine is deteriorated but I scraped the head of one of the fastening staples so you can see it. That area around the flat of the staple should be all soft and fuzzy, but it's gone on mine. The first picture is the back of the trim, staple legs folded over.

I typically use tiny flat head sheet metal screws and burry them into the sweep instead of recreating the staple method. Then I coat the end of the screw threads on the back of the trim with adhesive so they can not back out. Obviously the head of a loose screw would destroy the glass with a disturbing screech.

Best of luck sorting out that gasket.

Duane
c80cd21d24a3561b11276456ce586231.jpg
99e4afa726f16af31b0e73f9da1e9ef3.jpg

The back part of the sweep is bent around the corner and cut at an angle. The front part is cut at 90% and butts into the wind wing pillar.
b4c3d94c3e94e1d831cf85d574f70a79.jpg
f029938767aba92705ef228a4991c6a6.jpg

Ok had another go at installing the windshield glass.....got little further then i did yesterday hough not using the prescribed sequence as i found out it did not work too well for me.
what i did was i took one half of glass out of gasket and set other half in place with the rope and all then soaped it up good and pulled on the rope......well what do you know..it worked out ok this side.....IMG_1343.jpgIMG_1345.jpg....ha..one down one to go ....no problem in the home stretch .....yeah right

tried to do other side same way found out the glass will not slip behind a flange where the tack strip is it over laps by least half inch

i tried every which way i could to get that glass to set same way as other side to no avail guess that is why it only goes in one damned way

tried putting gasket in first..... this is what i ended up with.... IMG_1347.jpg.....with gasket tight in the corner that tells me gasket has to be too damned big....ok no problem right i just cut it apart and make it work IMG_1348.jpg here you can see it is too big by least and inch that i cut out

thinking that was hasty decision mistake as now cant get glass to set into gasket when gasket in opening and it wont slide in place with gasket around glass both ways are too tight ....hell i already cracked one piece by dinking it on a corner while carrying the glass out to the garage so now have one windshield and one door to be replaced.

so now going to send email to Carl Walck that i drafted yesterday and see what he says bout gasket.

Larry

Back