Precision Fit
Oct 23, 2009
Citrus Heights & Tahoe
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
This question was posted on the American Jeepster Club forum.
Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

"Does anyone on the forum have information on the Jeep Station Wagon (Wicker Edition)? I understand it was introduced in 1947 but would like to know if the special trim package with real wicker seats was offered on later models."

Attachments

rbond

Bigger Hammer
Oct 8, 2009
Bloomsburg PA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
"Wicker" wagons were 'upscale' trim packages - ah, marketing!

'48-'50 "Station Sedan" (all 2wd) had 6 cyl, OD, stainless grill trim, deluxe upholstery, one piece rear seat, spare mounted on floor, 'Jeep' Station Sedan on glove box & hood... had basketweave adhesive decal in top panel below glass.

'53 "Utility Wagon"- same basketweave insert in top panels marketed as "Deluxe"

Willys America sells sticky repros, and there was a beautiful '53 Deluxe featured on January cover of 2009 Classic Jeeps calendar

Station Sedans (and my '49 663 - maybe all early models?) had herringbone cloth headliner that I want to replicate for mine... I attached a swatch to earlier post, guess it's still my only gallery pic until I get my shots together, as it were... :beer:

rbond

Bigger Hammer
Oct 8, 2009
Bloomsburg PA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
p.s. looked in Paul barry's restoration guide - says only 50 made in '47, leftover '49s sold as '50s...

73fj

Precision Fit
Oct 6, 2009
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Does anyone have a picture of the stock herringbone headliner? All I have left in my wagons are some small scraps, not looking to reproduce, just wondered what it looked like.

1947CircleW

Gear Grinder
Nov 23, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I will post a picture for you when I get some time FJ, my headliner is still intact but has half a dozen holes in it from the mice. The sun visors are covered in the same material and look mint, very attractive fabric I would say.

jnichols

Sharpest Tool
Oct 23, 2009
Puyallup Wa.
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I picked up a set of the herringbone visors on ebay. I wish I had the headliner to match, I think it is much nicer than the vinyl that I have now.

73fj

Precision Fit
Oct 6, 2009
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
1947CircleW said:
I will post a picture for you when I get some time FJ, my headliner is still intact but has half a dozen holes in it from the mice. The sun visors are covered in the same material and look mint, very attractive fabric I would say.
Thanks, I am curious what it looked like.

Brooks Stevens

Gear Grinder
Jan 12, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks to Greg (a.k.a. "Homewood4") for posting my question and alerting me to this forum.

I was inquiring about the "Wicker" Jeep Station Sedan because a noted model builder is recreating it in 1:43 scale. His "Wicker" Station Sedan will be based on the very rare white-metal version made by U.S. Model Mint.

Questions:

1. Was the "wicker" pattern only found on the upper exterior panels? In this photo, it appears as though the interior door paneling and seats are also done in a "wicker" pattern.

2. Did the upper panel on the tailgate also have the "wicker" pattern decal?

Thanks,

Mark

rbond

Bigger Hammer
Oct 8, 2009
Bloomsburg PA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Brooks! Dude! I didn't know they had wireless broadband in the afterlife! :cheers:

Here's my headliner swatch if I've attached properly - more herringbone than basketweave like outside.

Replacement kit for outside is 5 piece so yes to rear panel

Station sedan included deluxe cloth seat covers and padded side panels

Attachments

rbond

Bigger Hammer
Oct 8, 2009
Bloomsburg PA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
continued...

Mark- great photo by the way! now I want to know what a 'Sportif' was... and I wish I had that 1:43 version - I'm really a frustrated model builder rather than mechanic - I've just switched to 1:1 scale.

Headliner swatch scan attached last post was uncropped - printed on 8x11 should be @ 100%. I'm determined to redo my '49 with this if I can find material. My wagon came w/ a vinyl replacement liner still in shipping package - I can use as template if only I could locate a reasonable facsimile of the fabric...

Brooks Stevens

Gear Grinder
Jan 12, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks. Do you have any examples of the Deluxe cloth pattern used on the interior doors and seats?

What did Willys call the pattern on the exterior decals? According to Michael Lamm's excellent article on the '46-65 Station Wagons, which appears in the February 1991 issue of Collectible Automobile, its referred to as "Wicker Trim". Both of these images came from that article, which includes period photos of all of Steven's concepts for Willys. Surely some of the forum members have this issue. CA has done excellent articles on all the classic Willys-Overland's.

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
[attachment=1:39q2rgcn]DSCN1489.jpg[/attachment:39q2rgcn]
Just my 2 pennies worth...door panel from my '62...vinyl basket weaver pattern[attachment=1:39q2rgcn]DSCN1489.jpg[/attachment:39q2rgcn]
Lower door panel design....seats and headliner similar look...Plantation White Willys Wagon.

Attachments

Brooks Stevens

Gear Grinder
Jan 12, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
rcshook696 said:
Headliner! What's that??? :eek: Anyone got pics as to what is supposed to be there under the liner so I'll know what I'm missing. Thanks Chuck
Guys, let's stay on topic here. The subject of my thread is the "Wicker Trim" Station Sedan - not headliners.

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Sorry Brooks. I have nothing in the interior to let me know what was original. I need a place to start as well as know what kind of material could be in there. Chuck

rbond

Bigger Hammer
Oct 8, 2009
Bloomsburg PA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
back to topic... be aware kevin's '62 vinyl interior NOT what was in station sedan, until somene finds a sample of '48- '50 original...

meanwhile headliner sample is correct for period...

Brooks Stevens

Gear Grinder
Jan 12, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Back to topic. I recently came across these photos a '52 Station Wagon rusting away in the jungles of Sheffield, Massachusetts. It's the only non-factory photos I've found of a Station Wagon wearing the rare optional "Wicker trim". I've included the accompanying text.

"When we saw the faded remnants of the basket weave pattern on the upper doors of this 4x2, we thought we'd stumbled onto an ultra rare '48-'50 Station Sedan, a luxury package marketed to women and families and featuring deluxe interior appointments, unique grille chrome, and larger hub caps than standard Jeep Station Wagons. But then we saw the new-for-'52 horizontal stainless trim on the hood (missing) and cowl. Turns out, though the Station Sedan name died after 1950, elements of the package were included in subsequent luxury editions."

"Here's a rear view of this unique Station Wagon. Note the Station Sedan-esque basket weave pattern on the upper body recess. The wraparound rear bumper was new for '51 while the vertical taillamps were added in '52. Absence of a horizontal stainless trim strip on the rear body tells us this is a pre-'56 model. Shed a tear for the original burgundy paint on this rusty relic."

rbond

Bigger Hammer
Oct 8, 2009
Bloomsburg PA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Here's the '53 Deluxe featured on Classic Jeeps calendar last year - a match w/ Brooks' junkyard wagon picture.

I just thought I'd see if I was smart enough to be able to attach & post it here...

Attachments