Jul 18, 2021
Arizona
First Name
jeff
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
My firewall has been remodeled already for some reason, took off the wood someone put one for another reason....wood on a firewall....hmmm

Anyway, would a Tornado have any fitment issue into my 1950 Willys with the T90 and Spicer 18, and what other issue may come up. Tunnel has been fiberglassed also.

IMG_5624.jpgIMG_5625 copy.jpegIMG_5629.jpg

There is a factory service manual on this conversion, granted from the perspective of a stock pre-1962.5 Willys that lacks the modifications that yours has. It's in the library: 230 OHC Tornado service bulletins (1962-1966).

To give you an idea of what you are aiming for, this is a 2wd Traveller firewall that had the 230 OHC Tornado:
index.php

Wow! That's a serious hillbilly firewall there.
The short answer to your question is Yes.

The longer answer is firewall mods, different steering linkage and a reverse rotation steering box.

If after reviewing the work required, you decide to proceed, LMK. I have a 62 parts wagon that was Tornado equipped. Firewall and steering are intact. Tornado and other driveline is gone.

There is a member here that is selling a complete Tornado. Jump on it before it sells or he parts it out.

ORRRRRR, just buy a late 62 or latter truck factory equipped with a Tornado.

The longer answer is firewall mods, different steering linkage and a reverse rotation steering box.

If after reviewing the work required, you decide to proceed, LMK. I have a 62 parts wagon that was Tornado equipped. Firewall and steering are intact. Tornado and other driveline is gone.

There is a member here that is selling a complete Tornado. Jump on it before it sells or he parts it out.

LOL, not quite sure what was going on with the woodwork......

Well I did speak to Greg, hence the question Tornado vs V-6 etc conversion. Figured I would ask the experienced here for there insight.

Thanks Jeff

LOL, not quite sure what was going on with the woodwork......

Well I did speak to Greg, hence the question Tornado vs V-6 etc conversion. Figured I would ask the experienced here for there insight.

Thanks Jeff
For cool factor, Tornado.

For power, reliability, economy, etc go 4.3 V6.

Building out for a overlander, so there's gonna be some weight aboard for sure.
being old and lazy sure would like a auto..........

There is a factory service manual on this conversion, granted from the perspective of a stock pre-1962.5 Willys that lacks the modifications that yours has. It's in the library: 230 OHC Tornado service bulletins (1962-1966).

To give you an idea of what you are aiming for, this is a 2wd Traveller firewall that had the 230 OHC Tornado:
index.php
Thanks. that was a good read and really pushes me to a V-6 or 8 and auto.

Thanks again! Jeff

You will need to mod the firewall and probably the tunnel. You do not need to do the steering conversion, although it is much better (when right) then the early systems. You need motor mounts. You will need the throttle linkages for sure. you need different sending units to make the early gauges work. Some wiring changes. Grille & radiator. @Willys Overlander would be WAAAY ahead to buy your parts wagon for the frame and firewall and then drop his body on it. The firewall conversion isn't that bad. drill out some spot welds, some strategic cuts here and there and spot weld it in. Most of the work is on the driver's side.

I have done 2 wagons like that because I like the early gauges and the high roof line and pop out seats. My wagon is actually a 1951 body altered to a '52 on a 1963 frame and registered as 1952. You can tell mine is a hybrid just because the battery is still on the passenger side and I have the early horns. I also plugged the fresh air vent and went with 5 bars on the grille. A close observer will notice the smaller turn signal lenses as well.
Grill 2.jpgP1030131.JPG

I think the more I read and learn that I will go to a V-6 and automatic since I need to do the alterations anyway. With the added weight it also makes more sense. I've done a Cummins into a 1965 GMC 4X4 so its not the engine swap thats an issue.

Thats a great color and engine bay.

Thanks Jeff

Looking for tie rods for steering on 62 pickup with Tornado engine. Not sure if you have these parts, but very interested if you do. Can't drive the truck now because steering is so loose.

You cannot buy new linkage parts?
Tried Walck, who has parts for 6-226, but not 6-230. Steering was changed in 61-62 and only used for a few years. Moog has tie rod ends, but the part that connects into the tie rods are 3.22", instead of 4". May cause these to loosen. Let me know if you have other sources for new ;lonkage parts.

Tried Walck, who has parts for 6-226, but not 6-230. Steering was changed in 61-62 and only used for a few years. Moog has tie rod ends, but the part that connects into the tie rods are 3.22", instead of 4". May cause these to loosen. Let me know if you have other sources for new ;lonkage parts.
Try Midwest Willys or Willys Truck Warehouse.

Looking for tie rods for steering on 62 pickup with Tornado engine. Not sure if you have these parts, but very interested if you do. Can't drive the truck now because steering is so loose.
What exactly are you looking for? Do you have the 230 bell crank steering now? If yes, 3 of the tie rods are readily available. The only one that is not available ( hasn't been for years) is the long one on the passenger knuckle. However, you will not get that kind of steering looseness from the tie rods alone. Most of the slop will come from the box or the bell crank.

Good steering is a project. You have to replace/rebuild/adjust every component in the system. Start with the king pin bearings. Replace them and set as per the workshop manual. If you do not have a workshop manual, GET ONE! Rebuild the steering box carefully and correctly. There is some very good info on the web by Moses Ludel and the Ross TI. This is not a five minute job. The bushings are the toughest part. If you can't do that part, find a good machine shop. I would use the existing races and replace the bearings with US-made ones. The sector shaft pins will be junk. They can be replaced. I just did a set last week. Do not by a new sector. Replace the upper steering column bearing. Buy a NOS military (MB or M39A-1 I think), take it apart, throw away the balls and replace with precision ball bearings. The pivot balls on the pitman and the bell crank may be worn. These are more problematic to replace, but can be done. Change the seats in the drag link and set the spring tension properly.

You will be surprised how well a Ross box can feel when EVERYTHING is done correctly. Mine almost feels like power steering.

Last edited:
Wood on the firewall...........Hmmm.. I'd guess that it helps absorb noise and heat... Doesn't scare me a bit... I do try and
stay away from wooden frame rails.. They've beem used in the past...And the old Morgan sports cars........They used a lot of wood...Just sayin'. Now back to my flathead fantasies..

N
Steering was acually changed in 1962 1/2, IIRC.

Back