Where was your Willys today?

In the Santa Ana Mountains today with Art and family (Wife Terese and Granddaughter D'ne).
KIMG1804.JPGKIMG1798.JPG
The Santa Ana Mountains basically separate Orange County from the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernadino Counties). Currently the only motorized access is at the top of Silverado Canyon (where I live in OC) throuigh the Maple Springs FS gate. Art is on the other side of the range and had mentioned wanting to take a drive up when the FS gate opened. His granddaughter had never been "off-roading" so this was a great opportunity. But while it's still April, "May Gray" is in full swing, lots of blowing fog eliminated the sweeping views of the SoCal megalopolis. One can see from the San Gabes (Home of the Wrightwood Willys Day, Los Angeles and the Hollywood sign) to Santa Catalina Island and most of the Channel Islands if it's really clear. Pretty chilly up there today but really green and lush with flowers. We'll do this again a little later in the season; wanna join us?

Last edited:
Was at a localish car show today. Chino Corn Feed run. There were supposedly around 1,400 cars, trucks and tractors. There were a few other Willys there. The red Jeep and the yellow Willys truck both won awards.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1585(1).jpg
    IMG_1585(1).jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 9
Went to a local car show today and came home with a cool award. Trophies are made by students using old car and motorcycle parts, all different. Very imaginative. VERY cool!

Attachments

• 500.jpg
    500.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 500-2.jpg
    500-2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 22
@jimbob57 What? No heads up? ;) Pizza and Pints tomorrow at Brewery X to check out their old military Jeeps. You're welcome :)

@Idaho Mark are you planning on this year's RFTH? Very nice Wagon!
I wasn't certain I was going to go until this morning. I am planning on going to Ruby's in Whittier on Friday. Gotta get there fairly early since it is the first show of the season.

Trophies are made by students using old car and motorcycle parts, all different. Very imaginative. VERY cool!
My most memorable and cherished trophy is from a car show put on as a fundraiser by a local Boy Scout Troop. The boys make all of the trophies and choose the winners. It didn’t hurt my chances when I let them all pile into the Jeep for a picture as they were judging it though

I don't know Ralph, but I do hope Ruby's stays open at least long enough so that I can use my gift card. The one down the street from me that was supposed to be their new flagship restaurant closed abruptly after being open for about a year.
Ya, that was strange. The Holiday Car show on Birch St last year was on my B'day and my family treated me there. That's when I first met you and @Tralehead Bob.

In the Santa Ana Mountains today with Art and family (Wife Terese and Granddaughter D'ne).
View attachment 163237View attachment 163238
The Santa Ana Mountains basically separate Orange County from the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernadino Counties). Currently the only motorized access is at the top of Silverado Canyon (where I live in OC) throuigh the Maple Springs FS gate. Art is on the other side of the range and had mentioned wanting to take a drive up when the FS gate opened. His granddaughter had never been "off-roading" so this was a great opportunity. But while it's still April, "May Gray" is in full swing, lots of blowing fog eliminated the sweeping views of the SoCal megalopolis. One can see from the San Gabes (Home of the Wrightwood Willys Day, Los Angeles and the Hollywood sign) to Santa Catalina Island and most of the Channel Islands if it's really clear. Pretty chilly up there today but really green and lush with flowers. We'll do this again a little later in the season; wanna join us?
Nice. Want to get up there one of these days. I used to hang glide somewhere around there in 1972 with my brothers. I had a 72 Chevy Blazer and guys would pay me a few buck to take them and their hang gliders up.

Back