Jan 13, 2016
Maryland
First Name
Eddie
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Clarity on correct rim and tire size for wagons. I've searched the threads and the Willys literature I have without success.

My '61 4x4 wagon came with 33x10.5 R 15 BF Goodrich MS tires. Fine for now - I like the way they look and they're great in snow (I do almost no off roading). In my quest to take this truck back to stock (over time) I would like the correct wheel size. KW and Walcks mostly sell 16" rims. My (reproduction) owners manual only mentions 15" rims with 7.00 tires. Which is stock, 15" or 16"? Tube or tubeless?

The reason I'm asking now is that someone has these rims for sale on eBay (local pick up only - the person lives in my town): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-Jeep...on-/122301279683?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

They are 2x4 rims, not 4x4 rims. Other than the funky hubcap tabs, will they fit my truck? He thinks they are 15".

Finally, I have read and been told that large tires like I have now will wear out front suspension parts quicker than stock tires -true or false?

Thanks.

I do not have the info you are looking for but the larger 16" tires will allow you to go faster at lower rpm. These things are not geared for top end so everything you can do squeeze a few more mph out of the tranny is good unless you do not plan on going over 45 mph very often.

The wagons and sedan deliverys had 15" tires and the trucks 16".
4x4 models had 5 x 5.5" bolt circle and the 4x2 had 5 x 4,5" circle ( arrest me if im wrong)

Assuming your wagon is 4x4....Not certain but if advertised as 2x4 double check center hole dimension... the front rims may not have hole large enough for hubs...
And if buying used take a good look at lug nut holes often worn, out of round and inside of rim surface where rust can be prevalent ..I've seen guys welding up (washers?) to correct holes but seems like a bit of work if you can't find good wheels elsewhere.

Last edited:
Finally, I have read and been told that large tires like I have now will wear out front suspension parts quicker than stock tires -true or false?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts on this part?

Eddie,

I'm no expert, but I have the feeling later wagons came with 16 X 4-1/2" wide wheels. Our wagon, a built-in-1964 version, had 16" wheels when we acquired it from a 'ranch hand' who had driven it from new - he said it was completely stock.

Trucks offered 16 X 5" wide (almost identical) versions by Kelsey Hayes. Whether the thickness of the steel was different, I don't know. Apparently, Gladiator wheels were 16 X 6", but I've never found a set.
I've been warned several times to be careful about these "experienced" wheels - there was a report on a Studebaker site that the rims can fail due to metal fatigue - after all, these are very old components that could have been heavily stressed, often, over their lifetimes. The new reproduction wheels might be made of superior steel...

Personally, if I were driving on highways regularly, new or younger wheels with "safety rims" would be a wise substitute - again just my opinion.

Concerning wider wheels, wider tires or changes in off-set, perhaps with spacers, these are bound to increase stress and wear on your suspension. Our 235/16 X 85 Armstrong radials are great tires but it was a true 'workout' to parallel park on pavement. The added contact area of a larger tire adds significant friction (newer tires might have far greater "stickiness" compared to the bias plies of the 50s and 60s) but if your steering and knuckles are in good condition, probably, the design can take the torture.

Cheers, Pavel.

Eddie
I believe that, even at the dealerships, If a customer wanted 16" wheels on a new wagon, a swapping was done right there and then from something else. 15" was the norm for wagons though.
As far as wearing out parts, I doubt if the front axle components would be stressed out with bigger (not ridiculously bigger) tires. Those knuckle bearings and wheel bearings are used on much heavier jeeps than yours. Pavel is right on steering though. And handling too!
diggerG
diggerG

Last edited:
I know on my CJ from that era, it has 16" but they are 4.5 not 5. Maybe a set of CJ wheels were put on a wagon.

what Jon shared - wagons had 15" and pickups had 16". many folks recommend moving to a 16" wheel on the wagon to improve driveability and reduce stress on the engine.
The wheels in the ebay link are not wagon wheels but likely came off an early CJ -- however they would work.

Here's a pic of an original wagon wheel - https://www.kaiserwillys.com/catego...lian-wheel-rim-15-used-fits-41-71-jeep-willys

The picture Greg posted from Kaiser Willys is not what an original wagon wheel looks like. It pictures a 15" x 5 1/2" replacement wheel that fits all 4 x 4 Jeeps. Not a bad thing but not an original likeness.
It has hubcap tabs and is probably a safety bead. I believe wagons may have had different 15" wheels at different times during their run. Those pictured may have been towards the very end but maybe not too. Those pictured look like late 60's CJ5 and Wagoneer wheels.
diggerG

Last edited:
Eddie
Also be warned early 2wd wagons ('53 and down?) had a different bolt pattern than the later 2wd wagons with the I Beam front axle. The later ones used the regular 4x4 frame and rear axle, with an I beam bolted to the pair of leaf springs. Earlier were the planar front axle and much lighter frame. later ones had the 4x4 bolt pattern.
diggerG

I went from 235R75/15 tires on 6" aftermarket rims to 235R85/16's on 7" aftermarket rims...My truck rides
much smoother with the 16's and it actually coasts farther when in neutral.. My driveway is a slight down hill
and over 800' so I sometimes coast to the car port after entering my property..

My wish list includes, new painted steel, 16 x 7" rims with beauty rings and small hubcaps...I'm not sure if
these exist but ...........someday......

Not to argue the point, but to add info, we got our 59 wagon in about 64 from the original owner and it was all original then. It had the exact 15" wheels with hubcap tabs that were pictured above. With the advent of powerful impact wrenches, when used incorrectly on left-hand threads, the lug holes were basically destroyed. For the last twenty years that it has been in my possession, I replaced them with Kelsey-Hayes 16" wheels from a Willys truck and only use a star wrench to do the final tighten. I dont let any tire shop touch them because of the left hand threads on the drivers side lugs. Willys trucks (pickups and FC170s) were 1Ton trucks where the wagon was 1/2T so the wheels are stronger. The K-H wheels with a single small hole in between two of the lug holes were the strongest ones.

Yep, fairly certain my wagon has original wheels, also have access to late 61 wagon. Both have this 15" wheel with the tabs. Ive seen them back to at least 58--KH stamped on all.

Hey Greg, I've tried to pm you a couple times and they won't go through. Can you pm me? I'm looking for a couple things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for starting this thread, Eddie. I have a 1961 Wagon, that came with really nice 15" alloy aftermarket rims that don't have as much offset as originals. So it has a wider track, but off-roading, the rear tires hit the wheel-wells (flat springs back there)! I've wondered if those wheels will increase wear on my steering/suspension too.

Also, mine came with a 16" spare wheel, with a really chunky, 5" wide old bias-ply tire mounted, which I assumed was original. Perhaps the Original Owner had opted for 16" rims, but the 15" ones were added much later. So does anyone in CO have a nice 15" spare rim (and tire, ideally) they'd like to trade for a perfect 16" rim and tire? Or vice versa? Because it sounds like 16" wheels are the way to go?

Back