Wandering Down the Western Sierra

Part II
Yesterday's outing was mostly an exercise in probing -- looking for ways to get through the lower elevations of the Stanislaus National Forest on the general line I had planned -- but without success. Still, it was a fun outing with a lot of nice scenery and some interesting new roads.

The route I'd hoped to do:

88-4 v3.JPG 88-4 part 2.JPG

The route I ended up doing:
88-rrf.JPG

rrf-baldmt.JPG

baldmtn-swissranch.JPG

As mentioned elsewhere, I opted to defer the sections between Wentworth Springs Rd and Hwy 50 and between Hwy 50 and Hwy 88, as these are close to home and are more flexible in terms of access; they can be done about anytime.

Going south, the sections between Hwys 88 and 108 provide much more limited access because the canyons of the Mokelumne and Stanislaus rivers each have only one "backroad" across them apiece, in the national forest zone, and these are closed in winter. It has been an unseasonably dry autumn, so roads have remained open, but that changed on Friday when a minor storm pass through the area. I had spoken with someone from the Stanislaus National Forest earlier in the week, and she indicated all roads were still open but were schedule for closure December 15. My hope was that Friday's storm was light enough not to prompt a swift closure and that I could get out there early Saturday and complete these sections.

It was not to be. All the routes I tried into the forest leading to Blue Mountain and on to Arnold (at Hwy 4) were already closed.

This was the first of the closed gates encountered yesterday.
Pic 1.jpg

Resigned to missing a great 4WD route across the Mokelumne (pronounced muh-CULL-uh-mee), I headed west down Hwy 88, trying a couple of other access points along the way, with similar results.
Pic 2.jpg

At Pioneer, the revised route led south down Defender Grade Road, and then across the Mokelumne River on Hwy 26 to the little town of West Point.
Pic 4.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Pic 7.jpg
By the way, I'm skeptical of the Kit Carson connection, and if Bret Harte lived here, he never wrote any stories about it.

Last edited:
More West Point...

Pic 4b.jpg

The first dirt road was Silver Mountain Rd. Maps show it connecting to a national forest road leading to Blue Mountain Lookout from the west.
Pic 8.jpg

Pic 9.jpg

Pic 10.jpg

The red clay was surprisingly sticky.
Pic 11.jpg

The road got more interesting, following the top of a ridge.
Pic 12.jpg

Pic 12b.jpg

Pic 14.jpg

Before dropping down to Mitchell Mill Creek on the east side.
Pic 15.jpg

There was a beautiful meadow along the creek, and I followed it southeast until I came to another locked gate.
Pic 16.jpg
More...

Backtracking a short way, there was a road heading east that the map showed as another way to Blue Mountain.
Pic 17.jpg

Up it went...
Pic 18.jpg

Only to end at another locked gate.
Pic 19a.jpg

Most of the land at this elevation is privately held, but there are old public road easements that keep many of the roads open. Around here, most of the private timber land is owned by Sierra Pacific Industries (SPI), the largest private landowner in California. They own all the blue in the map below (plus mills marked by the stars and triangles) and have a near monopoly of the non-redwood timber and milling in California:
CA_Transparent_BR-01.jpg

For the most part, SPI has allowed access to its lands for recreation, especially because it is usually surrounded by national forest land, to which they cannot block access. (Most is this land originally was made private when the federal government granted it to railroads between 1862 and 1871.) SPI has become more restrictive lately, citing fire concerns, etc. Anyway, they had closed all the gates through their land, which they would normally do in winter anyway.

Continuing to probe, I worked my way north and east, but continued to find closed gates leading into the forest.
Pic 20.jpg

Pic 21.jpg

Finally giving up, I headed back into West Point and on the paved roads to Railroad Flat, where I knew there was an open road, but at a lower elevation than I'd hoped to be. Summit Level Road leads south from Railroad Flat to Hwy 4 at Dorrington, and it's a county road so isn't subject to the same forest service or SPI closures.
Pic 23.jpg

It soon turns to gravel.
Pic 23b.jpg

Then sections of dirt
Pic 24.jpg

Pic 25.jpg

There were areas of red clay, and that eventually made it advisable to lock the hubs and put it in 4WD, and occasionally in low range where it was steep and the ground was soft.
Pic 27a.jpg
More....

Last edited:
Continuing on Summit Level Rd...finally, a glimpse of the elusive Blue Mountain, the western shoulder of it, anyway.
Pic 29.jpg

It would soon be dark, and the road was getting muddier, so when I intersected Swiss Ranch Road, I decided to call it a day and head for home.

Pic 32.jpg

Pic 33.jpg

Pic 34.jpg

It was dark by the time I reached the old mining town of Sutter Creek where I paused for some shots with the Christmas lights.
Pic 36.jpg

Pic 37.jpg

Pic 38a.jpg

Today the old girl got a thorough bath with focus on the undercarriage.
2726F614-CF79-4BB0-B968-21AB84EBC64E.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the more interesting Sierra Foothills cemeteries I’ve been to is at the ghost town named Seneca off Hwy 70. Completely abandoned and largely reclaimed by nature. As trees have grown they have pushed headstones to tilt at various angles. Many of the headstones are simply a sheath of flagstone or similar taken off the hill there with “Baby”, “Mom”, etc scratched into the surface.

I really enjoyed this road trip you shared, and the great pictures!
Once I get my '61 truck moving under its own power, maybe I'll hit you up to travel along.
I'm here in Auburn and am familiar with all the area you explored, so I really enjoyed your take, and to see the old wagon out and about! Thanks, Dan

I really enjoyed this road trip you shared, and the great pictures!
Once I get my '61 truck moving under its own power, maybe I'll hit you up to travel along.
I'm here in Auburn and am familiar with all the area you explored, so I really enjoyed your take, and to see the old wagon out and about! Thanks, Dan
Merry Christmas Dan!!
From Rodney just up the hill in Alta.

Back