Timken rear axles

Hi Larry, Yea, those Dodge's after ww2 went to even lower gears. The Weapon's Carriers only used a 4.89. Those trucks are in a class all their own to say the least. I drool every time I see one, which is only in a picture ! It's more than amazing that you could still order a Power Wagon in 1968 with the headlights still mounted on the fenders, I think it was an optional version in 1968, maybe more heavy duty ? I'm not a Power Wagon expert by far, just a very big fan. They're works of art for sure.

Morris Ratner said that the Timken 51540 was the best rear ever used in the Willys Pickup. He said that it came out of the 1930's, and was originally used in 1.5 ton dual wheel cargo trucks. I always liked them because they look real "antiquish". In a 1 ton rated truck that has a curb weight of only 3300 lbs., this rear should perform quite well.

Morris was absolutely correct. I have a Dodge D500 4wd 18,000 GVW truck 1963 and it has a Timken in the front. Ford used them also.
diggerG

I miss Morris, I really enjoyed calling him just to hear him talk on the phone ! The last thing he sold me before he died was a brand new, never used steel gas tank for my Pickup.

Hi Larry, Yea, those Dodge's after ww2 went to even lower gears. The Weapon's Carriers only used a 4.89. Those trucks are in a class all their own to say the least. I drool every time I see one, which is only in a picture ! It's more than amazing that you could still order a Power Wagon in 1968 with the headlights still mounted on the fenders, I think it was an optional version in 1968, maybe more heavy duty ? I'm not a Power Wagon expert by far, just a very big fan. They're works of art for sure.

Those Power Wagons were extreme heavy duty units almost identical to the 1947 models. They worked well for serious off road contractors, forest and fire service and farmers. Clearly the toughest pickup trucks ever built, along with their military brothers the Weapons Carriers.
diggerG

Amen to that. Wonder where all those Power Wagons disappeared to after the war. I can't vision anyone taking one of those to the scrap yard. There's a lot of real small urban areas where there might still be 1 hiding, probably needs a lot of work. The didn't make many and a good chance 95% of those are still out there. They are the toughest pickups ever built, compared to a Willys Pickup the 2 biggest things that make them tougher is the size and weight of the truck, and that winch. The gearing is comparable to the Willys because of diameter of the tires and the weight of the truck. The low range in the Willys has them beat with the 2.46 low range, compared to the 1.96 low range of the Dodge. They are the toughest trucks ever built, but if I had to choose between one or the other I would without a doubt choose the Willys. I can tell you first hand that Dodge owners love the old Willys too because of just how many newer Dodge Rams wave to me on the road. They both have a lot in common. The Jeep brand saved Chrysler Corporation thru the acquisition of Jeep.

Last edited:
Here is the 54 Dodge Power Wagon we are currently working on .......
IMG_0447.jpg......IMG_0700.jpg

...... Canadian 251 .inline 6 cylinder with 3 speed Manual tranny and NP200 T-case

IMG_20170304_123837273_HDR.jpg.......in the process of converting in to a offroad camper ....and redoing entire drivetrain .....to include Isuzu 4 Cyl Diesel,.... NV4500 5 speed,.... NP205 divorced T-case riding on Dana 60 axles with 4.10 gear ratio....

Larry

Very, very, very cool Larry, the brand and vintage would bring a nice return should you ever sell. I'm amazed at how desirable these relics are customized and the prices people pay. Hey, how can you lose buying something like that ? Whoever did the cab modification on that beautiful pickup really has some skill ! !

None, nowhere. There are used ones around that people have that would serve well, of course some of those might not be. Those trucks in most cases were not driven a lot of miles in the old days, which is why they would be good. In most cases were they wouldn't be good, the truck was badly neglected.

They have never reproduced gear sets of axle shafts for the Timken axle. The shafts are even more prone to be worn or broken. Because the size of the ring gear being a little bigger than a ** DANA 60 **, the chance of the gear set being good is much better. You can actually have those parts made by a few out there, but you need a sample to send them so they can measure everything. The price is near 2000.00 to have that done. That's too much for most folks. I would do it if I had to, myself. Hopefully I will never, ever have to. Not to be able to run the Timken in my truck would make me more than sick.

So what you are saying is I shouldn’t scrap the Timken I am not going to use. If you say $2k I will take $1k for mine.

giphy.gif

I said, or meant, 2k to have someone reproduce brand new 5.38's for the Timken. New repro axle shafts would cost the same, or more. $2000.00 is just the beginning. I already did the homework on the cost. Most people today don't value "all original" like they used to. I'm one that does. There are only maybe 2 companies out there who would be interested in making those parts for you. Of course you know nobody will give you too much for "used".

Seems a lot of folks out there want to get rid of their Timkens for some kind of replacement. There are a bunch of used parts available. That's good news.

Yes I am aware my axle is worth little more than scrap value as it sits (used not rebuilt). With that being said if it is worth it to dismantle for parts I may do that if there are salvageable parts that can help others. I am sure many have been scrapped due to lack of interest.

I value originality up until it becomes a maintenance issue for a regular use vehicle on modern roads. This axle is unique and the lack of service parts is why I am not wasting my time on it for my build which is a restoration/mod for use not show or museum. If I was going for showpiece I would restore it that way but not every vehicle is saved from neglect in the same full frame off concours restoration.

I'm very sure someone needs those parts, Keith.

Do you know the condition of the gear sets and shafts ? If someone has a rear like that for sale and don't know that condition of those parts they're at a big disadvantage for getting top dollar for it. If the shafts and gears aren't good enough for a rebuild then it's not worth too much of anything.

The spiders are just as important, maybe more, because they would probably be worn faster than the ring and pinion due to their size. All of the bearings, cups and seals are readily available if you know cross over numbers, which can be easily gotten on this nice website. The trucks are still very attractive to a lot of folks even without the Timken.

Hail, a lot of folks who desire those trucks don't even know that an axle like that came with some of them unless they've been a somewhat serious student of them for some time. Your truck in the photo looks pretty original, and being a 1948, I would want to try to use that rear. They only made that "flat" body style for basically 3.5 years out of the whole run from 47-64.

Everybody should absolutely restore their truck exactly the way THEY want to though.

lol, i think i have had mine (5:38's with a 289 in it) up to about 53 mph. Thinking of putting some tall skinnies on it to get a few more mph out of it.

Jack

When I was a kid, we had an IH one ton with 6.16:1 axle ratio. Top speed was around 40 mph. Dana 70 front, and an IH-manufactured Eaton style rear axle. The highest ratio available for those Dana 70 front ends was 4:88.

Andy, your wagon sounds alot like my truck mechanically, hanging pedals, Old Intl master cyl here, overdrive, 350 (289), 4 speed (T-10), I dragged it out of someone's backyard years ago for like $350, set up like this, where it sat for 20+ years (originally from Ft Bliss Texas). I just tell everyone that it'll probably go anywhere, but not anywhere fast.. it's ok, it reminds me to slow down in general, when I drive it around.
Along with the Timken w/5:38's, It does have the Warn Overdrive on it.. I have never tried the overdrive.. seems complicated to use.. cable, kickdown switch, relay, and all. Does anyone have any good instructions for the testing/usage of a Warn Overdrive? The overdrive is only good for cruising speed yes? Not stop and go traffic, as i recall. Apologies, don't want to hijack this thread.

Back