Jun 15, 2017
bernardo nm
First Name
john
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I think I posted about this before but I've slept a lot since then. The oil hole on top of the speedo housing ( 58 CJ5 ), does it have a
cap or just a felt insert or both ? Speedo works somewhat but not accurate. I'm thinking of using the oil for electric shavers because it's so light and might not be affected so
much by colder temps, any ideas ?

thanks

I’m not familiar with which speedometer that is, maybe try posting it in the CJ forum. I’d think any light oil would be fine, like sewing machine, 3-in-1 or the shaver oil.

I think I posted about this before but I've slept a lot since then. The oil hole on top of the speedo housing ( 58 CJ5 ), does it have a
cap or just a felt insert or both ? Speedo works somewhat but not accurate. I'm thinking of using the oil for electric shavers because it's so light and might not be affected so
much by colder temps, any ideas ?

thanks
No cap on it. I used the shaver oil on mine. Just 2 small drops. Run it and see how it is. They came with light grease originally, which over time would harden up and cause issues. You may have to open up the speedo to clean the dried grease off the gears. Does the needle bounce? The Speedo cable can also cause reading/speed issues.

Back