Speedo cable keeps breaking

Same thing happened to me, two cables broke at the speedo end. Third cable worked then the trip meter stopped working. Bought a new speedo from Kaiser, problem solved, but the background illumination is so incredibly dim even thought the lights are on and bright. Design fluke maybe??
I replaced my incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and it's a world of difference. I bought my LEDs off Ebay, be sure you get the right kind. The ends have to match with the incandescent bulbs. P.s. they can be a bear to get out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I replaced my incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and it's a world of difference. I bought my LEDs off Ebay, be sure you get the right kind. The ends have to match with the incandescent bulbs. P.s. they can be a bear to get out.

I used LED bulbs in my 1950 gauges...This required making tube extensions of the bulb holder sockets.
The new bulb made a HUGE difference.

Well.. it all started with a speedometer cable. The upside is I have learned all kinds of fun stuff rewiring my truck. I'm still not done , took a few days just to think thru the tangled mess of patch jobs and splices.

If I were to start over. I actually believe it would be better to remove every wire and start system by circuit. I believe it takes longer to fish thru existing than it would to figure out what goes where and why. Just my thoughts. But the replace a wire take a wire out seems to work if you have the patience. Pic is me about to run wire to the back .
debb9b7a5e621c61f9212cb5378a73a8.jpg

Before you started you were aware that a very nice, complete install-ready wiring harness is available from Walck's for a reasonable price, right?

I admire your pluck but, cheap as I am, wouldn't want to do it that way myself.

Before you started you were aware that a very nice, complete install-ready wiring harness is available from Walck's for a reasonable price, right?

I admire your pluck but, cheap as I am, wouldn't want to do it that way myself.
I have bought a harness from Walck's before and it was great quality. I took on the task just to see if I could do it.

Will I do it again this way? Probably not. Just like dropping the transmission/transfer case. If I have to do it , I can. If I don't, I wont !

I will say, on a truck this simple. I got all my materials for less than $160.00 including fuse block and new light switch. Now if I were to price my time , we have a diff. Story.

I have bought a harness from Walck's before and it was great quality. I took on the task just to see if I could do it.

Will I do it again this way? Probably not. Just like dropping the transmission/transfer case. If I have to do it , I can. If I don't, I wont !

I will say, on a truck this simple. I got all my materials for less than $160.00 including fuse block and new light switch. Now if I were to price my time , we have a diff. Story.

OK, I feel better knowing you undertook this with full knowledge of your options. :D

I can see how it would be a fun challenge, up to a point. Good on you for tackling it.

Update ! Well the wire job took a week + but I managed to make everything blink, start, and other so very thankful for that.

Not out of the woods yet. We , meaning my brother lol! Managed to send 12 V across the fuel and temp gauges, so I'll be buying new. Then there is a sketchy ignition switch I have to replace and an after market oil pressure gauge that's line was destroyed..and crimped for now, and I have to put the loom on still but ya know how it goes.

So a little ahead and a little behind.

Glad I did it this way, massive challenge for me. I'd probably hit the easy button next time and order a harness.
455fc6f86f75ea168165f6b237475342.jpg

What do you guys think should I start a build thread called saga of a flip truck. My jeeps the jeep that every fix has 5 more behind it lol! Tonight I found the front axel joints completely dry with tell tail tails of leaked 80 at gear oil down the side of the tire.
f60044b46ee121b782b78d9474e03a3a.jpg

What do you guys think should I start a build thread called saga of a flip truck. My jeeps the jeep that every fix has 5 more behind it lol! Tonight I found the front axel joints completely dry with tell tail tails of leaked 80 at gear oil down the side of the tire.
f60044b46ee121b782b78d9474e03a3a.jpg

So, did the previous owner fill the knuckles with gear oil instead of #1 or #0 grease? Or, were the knuckles just not lubricated at all and the gear oil is leaking past a seal and out of the differential?

Yes, you should probably start a build thread dedicated to the projects on your truck. It would be a nice record, even if it isn't a formal rebuild.

Same thing happened to me, two cables broke at the speedo end. Third cable worked then the trip meter stopped working. Bought a new speedo from Kaiser, problem solved, but the background illumination is so incredibly dim even thought the lights are on and bright. Design fluke maybe??
My old eyes don't work like they used to... I bought an assortment of LED bulbs and experimented... The one that worked best
was too long.. I made extensions from copper tubing for the bulb holes in the I instruments... I also repainted my red instrument
needles silver except for the tips... The gauges are now visible at night... Just as good as my modern truck (2006 Ford)j.

So, did the previous owner fill the knuckles with gear oil instead of #1 or #0 grease? Or, were the knuckles just not lubricated at all and the gear oil is leaking past a seal and out of the differential?

Yes, you should probably start a build thread dedicated to the projects on your truck. It would be a nice record, even if it isn't a formal rebuild.
It looks and smells like they just put gl5 - 80wt. It was in the transmission and even looks like they put it in the ross steering box. Everything is dry.

I agree on a " informative thread , fixing a cover up job. It's not a rebuild but I think in general a great lesson on where these flipper guys do bad and might help a guy spot one of these projects before they get cleaned out.

Heck I was driving the jeep in the rain yesterday and water was pouring in the cab. Not sure how they messed it up since they spent the money for new seals. .. crazy.

Question for ya truck or wagon guys. Is this bracket correct for steering column on a 58 truck? My 53 had a little nicer bracket. This one is missing a piece to hold the column down. She rattles a little on bumps.
8b8c82a06ede8be9639b0d1fcf93eb92.jpg

Back