Oct 12, 2020
Rancho Tehama
First Name
Andy
Willys Model
  1. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
The original owner of my FC 150 had installed a Ford 289. It was long gone when I picked up the project, but the second owner had tried to install a chevy V6. I rebuilt the T90, added a new Overdrive, and a Kubota 2.4 turbo diesel. I'm trying to cut and piece back together the original shift tubes when someone suggested using something like these:
https://daytonclutch.com/cables/pushpull
I can see something like that working...maybe. anyone have any experience with shift cables? They are available in a lot f lengths.

I think I have 2 FC 150's with the original shifter parts still intact.
Let me know if you are interested.
diggerG

diggerG
I am. You're back east, and I'm ignorant about shipping. Is there a greyhound station near by? I know they ship to the nearest town, lol. I live pretty rural. Feel free to PM me with price and contact info.

diggerG
I also could use that plate in the shifter that keeps one from engaging forward/reverse and 2nd/3rd at the same time.

Hi
I need to climb under the 2 FC's and check out for sure the shifter parts are complete and in good shape. And I do have those side shifter transmissions already out.
HOWEVER, I am just recovering from Lymes Disease AND Bells Palsay together. It may take a while to catch up with your request. I am only doing what NEEDS to be done to keep my business going at this time. And I'm 70 yrs old, another problem.
Don't ever get Lymes Disease, that is my advice to you Andy.
diggerG

Hi
I need to climb under the 2 FC's and check out for sure the shifter parts are complete and in good shape. And I do have those side shifter transmissions already out.
HOWEVER, I am just recovering from Lymes Disease AND Bells Palsay together. It may take a while to catch up with your request. I am only doing what NEEDS to be done to keep my business going at this time. And I'm 70 yrs old, another problem.
Don't ever get Lymes Disease, that is my advice to you Andy.
diggerG
No hurry! A dairy farmers friend got Lyme's. Took Years to find out. Lost everything in the process except 100 acres of family farm. Wife left him. Thought he was faking it and didn't want to work. He told me he just couldn't get out of bed some days. And after the docs missed the diagnosis time after time, they all thought it was depression!

Looks like I have 2 complete FC150 shifter systems.
I bet your farmer friend is depressed now! Sorry about his problem.
Let me know what you need. Where are you?
diggerG

Need the 2 shift rods and the plate that keeps one from shifting in two gears at once. I'm in 96021 zip code, out in northern California

I will get on it right after I get done dealing with this HURRICANE that is heading straight for me. Is this plate in the lever box in the cab?
Greg (diggerG)

Greg,
There was a change made to the shift mechanism "late in the production run" that added a gate plate to avoid shifting issues.

Check this out:

http://www.thefcconnection.com/what_can_i_do_to_fix_my_3-speed_shift_lever.htm

Maybe that's what Andy's after? What say, Andy?

View attachment 105184
Thank you sir, yes. I have 64, and the shift lever assembly, but no plate. I can order it from these guys if Greg hasn't one. The lack thereof might explain the missing teeth in the gearbox....well not MISSING....just ground to a paste!

Hey Andy!
Shift cables are used extensively in the marine world. Here's the Amazon page to get some ideas on what's out there and the variety of ends available:
Another source is West Marine (but if you see something here, shop around, WM ain't cheap):

I will get on it right after I get done dealing with this HURRICANE that is heading straight for me.

I was camping on Martha's Vineyard and got a front row seat for hurricane Bob 30 years ago.

I broke camp in the morning as the clouds thickened, hid out with a big group of people at a shelter in the basement of a nearby school for the afternoon, and was back at the campground -- completely set back up -- and cooking dinner late that same day.

Luckily, the campground and the hospital were both on the same electrical circuit, so those were some of the few places on the island with modern conveniences, such as lights, ice, refrigeration and hot showers!

I've never seen winds like that before or since. At one point, the shelter chaperones had to forbid folks from peeking out the hollow metal school doors, for fear of them being ripped off the hinges to join up with the flying leaves, tree branches and whatever else wasn't tied down.

It was a couple days before the roads were cleared of debris, the ferries to and from the mainland were up and running again, and power was widely restored.

I spent some of my unexpected extended stay combing a few of the beaches. They were littered with ground up boat parts.

Hey Andy!
Shift cables are used extensively in the marine world. Here's the Amazon page to get some ideas on what's out there and the variety of ends available:
Another source is West Marine (but if you see something here, shop around, WM ain't cheap):
We do have a west marine about 60 miles away. I buy stuff for my homebuilt airplanes there, as airplane stuff is STUPID expensive, and Coast Guard rated electrical components and steel cables are pretty good quality.didnt think about those sources. Thanks.

I was camping on Martha's Vineyard and got a front row seat for hurricane Bob 30 years ago.

I broke camp in the morning as the clouds thickened, hid out with a big group of people at a shelter in the basement of a nearby school for the afternoon, and was back at the campground -- completely set back up -- and cooking dinner late that same day.

Luckily, the campground and the hospital were both on the same electrical circuit, so those were some of the few places on the island with modern conveniences, such as lights, ice, refrigeration and hot showers!

I've never seen winds like that before or since. At one point, the shelter chaperones had to forbid folks from peeking out the hollow metal school doors, for fear of them being ripped off the hinges to join up with the flying leaves, tree branches and whatever else wasn't tied down.

It was a couple days before the roads were cleared of debris, the ferries to and from the mainland were up and running again, and power was widely restored.

I spent some of my unexpected extended stay combing a few of the beaches. They were littered with ground up boat parts.

Yup, that's about it.
diggerG

Thank you sir, yes. I have 64, and the shift lever assembly, but no plate. I can order it from these guys if Greg hasn't one. The lack thereof might explain the missing teeth in the gearbox....well not MISSING....just ground to a paste!

both of mine are FC150 wide so they at least are not the early run. I will look for that. THere is a detent in the side shifter mechanism, but that doesn't cover the shifter not telling the transmission what gear to shift into.
diggerG

Hurricane Bob was a real mess. There were boats beached on Main St. in Falmouth. I did some tree work after that storm in Falmouth. It was just a little East of my Town. Just barely missed us.
diggerG

One of the things that stuck with me was the effect of the salt spray blanketing just about the entire island. Lots of trees ended up dropping leaves in the days following the storm.

It really helped me understand why so many of the trees on the Cape and Islands are so gnarly looking. They get their azzuz kicked on a fairly regular basis. During the height of the storm, they were flopping like mop heads on a pole.

You got me thinking and remembering. When I was in Falmouth a few days after Bob, I was in a coffee shop with an insurance man. We were looking out the front picture window and watched huge log skidders from Maine dragging big logs right down Main St. It was a surreal scene. Where would one ever see that? Not a license plate on any skidder, and the police were clearing out the traffic so the skidders didn't need to stop. The Town opened up a gravel pit to use as a tree debris marshalling area. Never seen anything like that before or after.
Greg

We do have a west marine about 60 miles away. I buy stuff for my homebuilt airplanes there, as airplane stuff is STUPID expensive, and Coast Guard rated electrical components and steel cables are pretty good quality.didnt think about those sources. Thanks.
Check your PM's

Back