Apr 20, 2024
fairfield, illinois
First Name
Nathan
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. Other
have a 71 jeepster commando woth the big full metal botl on roof (that ill never use) Would live one of the half cab truck type roofs but they are impossoibe to find.
Toyed with the idea of cutting down and welding on my full size roof to make a half cab or something totally different. Has anyone here done something like this? if so id like to see pics

OK, I am sensing a touch of confusion here. Either that or someone can not figure out how to use spell check.

Nathan has a 1971 Jeepster commando. It has a full metal bolt on roof that he has no plans on using. He would like to find, or make a half cab. He is under the impression that they are unobtainable.

Thus, he is thinking about cutting the full metal roof down to make it into a half cab. Or maybe he will do something else.

He would like some input on the idea of cutting the full roof to make a half cab, preferably by someone who has done this. Pictures would be nice

Now if this is correct, I will give a bit of input. Oh heck, I will give input anyway!

I have made a pickup out of a 1972ish Chrysler 300 station wagon. I cut the top off from mid point of the rear seat area back. I retained the wagons tailgate & the rear seats as they folded down to form a flat bed. I used the rear window & it's frame to close off the cab. I bolted & welded the rear doors shut. Welding the thin sheet metal was a serious challenge. There were no MIG / wire feed welders back then. Below the grafted on rear window, I scabbed in some sheet metal to reach the floor. It was cute at 50 feet & 40 MPH. Up close, it was kind of ugly. I was a broke teenager. Cameras & film cost money, so no pictures!

Later my uncle made a pickup out of a 1973 Ford Pinto wagon. It was similarly made. I still own this one.

If it were mine, I would try to find someone with a half cab that wants a full roof. Trades usually are nice as every one gets what they want. Otherwise I would sell the roof & buy or build a half cab. Of course the easy way out is to buy a Willys or Jeep pickup, or maybe even trade for one. Good luck on this project.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Hi Nathan,
Welcome to OWF!

Check with the folks at Jeepsterman in Missouri.

They've apparently got a good selection of used parts, and -- who knows --- maybe would be willing to trade?

I was at work, typing is shakey thanks for the english editing ms adams. (my english teacher)

Im pretty sure no one wants to trade a half cab roof for a full roof. I am a pretty good welder though so i may make some drawings and measurement and see what i come up with

Nathan, Just for grins, post in the classified section on here to see if your assumption that "no one wants to trade a half cab roof for a full roof" is correct. You might be pleasantly surprised. Try this on other Jeep forums as well, you never know until you try. It only costs a bit of time to do this. I have been pleasantly surprised on a few of my assumptions doing this in the past.

If you could find a half cab to take measurements off of that would be a big plus. I suggest that you start a new thread asking if someone with a half cab could pull some measurements for you. Most folks on here are happy to help.

IHTH, Matt W.

PS. Say hey to Ms Adams for me. My English teacher was Mrs. Herskel. I got a C in her class, but I learned a lot. She passed a few decades ago.

PPS. BTW, Welcome to the madness! We hope you stay for a spell.

Back