All-Star
Aug 8, 2017
Gilroy ,Ca
First Name
Ken
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Help me out guys with this. 63 pickup. It’s mounted under the driver floor to the frame . Has Brake lines and a breather hose . Was this a factory option or aftermarket ? :rolleyes:
686321F0-ACA3-4B66-B84A-EF662B6744FC.jpeg0C14D290-55C7-42A5-B357-A6ABC45031D3.jpeg54487E5C-1B7A-44D9-B942-6137BEDA8B68.jpeg

mickeykelley

Well Oiled
All-Star
Sep 9, 2015
Republic of Texas
First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
Wagon, CJ
Willys Year:
1955, 1958
It was a factory/dealer option. Vacuum brake booster.

Last edited:

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I'll tell ya what Ken. If the mechanicals and hydraulics of your brakes are in good order and you get that Hydravac working, be careful when you step on the brakes. I have one on a 1 ton '58 Chev flatbed and those brakes are fantastic!

Flinthillsben

Precision Fit
All-Star
Oct 26, 2016
Gardner, Kansas
First Name
Ben
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
Jul 19, 2012
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
It was a factory/dealer option. Vacuum brake booster.

Kinda. It was a factory/dealer option, but that is not where the dealer would have installed it. It would have been on the drivers fender skirt.

54 wagon ken

Precision Fit
All-Star
Aug 8, 2017
Gilroy ,Ca
First Name
Ken
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I'll tell ya what Ken. If the mechanicals and hydraulics of your brakes are in good order and you get that Hydravac working, be careful when you step on the brakes. I have one on a 1 ton '58 Chev flatbed and those brakes are fantastic!
How did these things work ? Are they a worthwhile addition?

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
Jul 19, 2012
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
How did these things work ? Are they a worthwhile addition?
I think they work very well. You can get 800-1000 lbs of assist depending on the model. I have one on my wagon with 4 wheel discs. Best brakes of ANY vehicle I have ever owned or driven.

Flinthillsben

Precision Fit
All-Star
Oct 26, 2016
Gardner, Kansas
First Name
Ben
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Somewhat like a vacuum booster in more modern cars. Manifold vacuum pulls on a big diaphragm in the hydrovac. When you step on the brake pedal hydraulic pressure trips the hydrovac and sends high pressure brake pressure to the wheel cylinders. Some had one fluid circuit to the master, some had two circuits: master to hydrovac and then hydrovac to wheel cylinders. Its basically the first go at modern power brakes.

mickeykelley

Well Oiled
All-Star
Sep 9, 2015
Republic of Texas
First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
Wagon, CJ
Willys Year:
1955, 1958
Kinda. It was a factory/dealer option, but that is not where the dealer would have installed it. It would have been on the drivers fender skirt.
I have looked and searched for a photo or anything actually showing where it was mounted from Willys with no success. I remember you saying you saw one once but no pics. Can you shed anymore light on where exactly it was mounted on that fender skirt, because that area is already pretty crowded vs the passenger side. Below the battery is a possibility but with battery acid drips, corrosion, etc, that seems like a bad spot. I did buy one and plan to add it on Wilbur when I get to that stage, along with the Bendix self adjusting (already purchased) on all 4 corners.

4EDF4B01-0A42-416F-AE14-5E54D3E7D564.jpeg

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
Jul 19, 2012
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I have looked and searched for a photo or anything actually showing where it was mounted from Willys with no success. I remember you saying you saw one once but no pics. Can you shed anymore light on where exactly it was mounted on that fender skirt, because that area is already pretty crowded vs the passenger side. Below the battery is a possibility but with battery acid drips, corrosion, etc, that seems like a bad spot. I did buy one and plan to add it on Wilbur when I get to that stage, along with the Bendix self adjusting (already purchased) on all 4 corners.

View attachment 80058
I saw the picture on this forum. Maybe Dan can help with that. Not 100% positive,but think t is installed where your horn is at now.

CSPIDY

Sharpest Tool
Feb 9, 2020
West Newton PA
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I had one on my 61 2wd wagon and it was mounted on the passenger fender well in front of the heater exchanger.
First car I ever drove so can’t say how it compared. Too many years ago. Although I don’t remember the breaks being a problem.

mickeykelley

Well Oiled
All-Star
Sep 9, 2015
Republic of Texas
First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
Wagon, CJ
Willys Year:
1955, 1958
I had one on my 61 2wd wagon and it was mounted on the passenger fender well in front of the heater exchanger.
First car I ever drove so can’t say how it compared. Too many years ago. Although I don’t remember the breaks being a problem.
To me, the passenger side makes sense with the exception, it’s a long way from the master so lots of plumbing.