Apr 14, 2017
Oregon
First Name
Zack
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
So last summer I bought a really nice 71 tub that came with a frame, 2wd front axle, and a 4.56 centered Dana 44 rear. The tub is meant for my 71 CJ5 Renegade I build, which left me a frame and axles that were taking up space and I had no real use for. I listed it on Craigslist for a couple months with no interest. Then a buddy offered me another tub that he had been sitting on for his own project, but found another one he liked better. For $100 I couldn't say no. Now with a frame that was too nice to cut up and a nearly pristine 69 tub, I figured I might as well put together another Jeep. The idea behind this build is to use the leftover and extra parts from my Ren1 project and source everything else as cheaply as possible.

The frame sat for awhile on its original axles, 16' wagon wheels, and flat retread tires. Then I found a set of 33x14.50 boggers with wheels for $150 so on they went.
33x14.50 boggers.jpg

frame painted.jpg

Another buddy brought home a pair of 72 Jeepsters that were good for parts only. One of them had a Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear with 3.73 gears. This solved my 2wd problem so we made a deal and I brought them home for $300 I think. The front had Lock o Matic hubs on it and the rear happened to have a track lock.

The donor
jeepster axles.jpg
Dana 30 painted.jpg
Dana 30 rolling chassis.jpg

It sat like this for a few months. Quadratec had a sale on lift springs so I scored 4" springs for about $100 apiece. The second Jeepster my buddy brought home had a 304/T15/D20 in it. I installed a new clutch fork in his Dauntless CJ5 in exchange for the Jeepster drivetrain, since I didn't have one for this project.
304.T15.D20.jpg

Next I needed to source some front sheet metal and found a screaming deal on fenders, hood, and intermediate grill at the Puyallup swap meet.
fornt clip.jpg

bogger.jpg

front clip installed.jpg

The tub came home just a couple weekends ago. It has awesome patina and almost no rust. The floors are straight and solid. Even the hat channels are still solid except for the end of one on the passenger side.
tub home.jpg
I think the original color was avocado mist maybe?
Avocado mist.jpg

driver profile.jpg

Looks like a Jeep now!
body on.jpg

I've been working on getting the motor ready - cleaned, painted, and some maintenance. It had bright green antifreeze in it, clean oil, spark plugs look good, and everything turns freely so I might get lucky with this one.
motor dirty.jpg
motor stripped.jpg
amc blue.jpg

And prepping the frame. It had 4 cylinder motor mounts so those had to go. I ground off the upper rivets then pounded them through and just cut the bracket flush with the bottom of the frame.
passenger motor mount.jpg
passenger side motor mount out.jpg

The motor was not going to fit with the stock crossmember so I decided to cut it out and once everything is where it needs to be I'll add back a new crossmember.
crossmember.jpg
crossmember out.jpg

In she goes...
motor going in.jpg

I'm using the factory bolt-in frame mounts that came out of the same Jeepster.
driver motor mount.jpg

It's tight...
firewall clearance.jpg

It's mostly set in the frame where it needs to be. I have a little more fine tuning then I can get holes drilled in the frame and bolt the mounts up for good. I think I will need to trim the back side of the intermediate grill in order to fit the radiator in. To be continued...

Back