my newly aquired 57 wagon

rcshook696

Bigger Hammer
Oct 27, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Just purchased a 57 4X4 wagon. It is original except the seats. All were removed and something was put back. It has the super hurricane 6 cyl in it. I guess it has the T90 trans in it. No overdrive. I was wondering how fast this would be on the rode? I want it to be a daily driver but I drive 15 miles (13 miles of interstate). I've heard of the overdrive, how much will it help and where can i get one? I don't want to change everything to speed it up. It is also in dire need of some sheet metal under the windshield and left dashboard. Does any one have a donor cab available to remove this metal or should I try to fabricate something? Rust hole goes all the way to the glass. I'm located in Jacksonville, Fl. The cab isn't to bad. The previous owner had most all repair panels for me to weld in. I will try to post some pics soon. Thanks rcshook696

Welcome aboard..
Can't answer sheet metal questions but I've been looking into overdrive too. I have post regarding MPG and speed increase. Not alot of responses yet. I've read 25-30% reduction in RPM in top gear, haven't done the math to figure change in top speed.

Couple of good websites, first one is place the remanuf's and sells OD's, the second is good photo chronolgy of install.

http://www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com
http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_project ... rdrive.htm

Please keep me posetd on what you find out. oIIIIo

I have an extra pick up cab that I can cut metal off if anybody needs. It is rust free. No roof, but the rest is there.

BioTex said:
I have an extra pick up cab that I can cut metal off if anybody needs. It is rust free. No roof, but the rest is there.
hi iam loking for a bed and atail gate

An easy calculator for final speeds and rpm's, http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/speed.html
One thing to consider when using an overdrive on a daily highway driver is that you will have to grease the u-joints very frequently to keep them alive at the warp speeds they will be spinning. they will tend to sling out grease and overheat. If you are not going to need the low gearing for off roading a ring and pinion swap might be a good idea. Of course with the front axle this would mean a axle swap due to a lack of options for ring and pinions.

I have a 59 4X4 wagon with the 226 and like you I wanted it to be pretty stock and a daily driver but top speed was around 50-55 without over reving it so I put in an overdrive used off EBay (there is a guy "Herm the overdrive guy" that sells complete ones and parts and he has a web site). The overdrive dropped the RPM's so I'm only turning 2200 rpm at about 65 mph and top speed is now closer to 70-75 I also went with a little taller tires and made a couple of bolt on modifications to the engine since it's running out of horse power going up long hills in overdrive. I rebuilt the engine and found a 2 barrel intake manifold and put in a GM HEI distributor to help up the power a little and they were both an inprovement, Headers would probably help but I'm not aware of anyone that makes them for this engine.

I'm a bit earlier on selling parts, but I'm going to eliminate both axles, adapter plate for small block chevy, transmission, transfer case and the overdrive from my '62...Regarding your window shield leak....cut the outside rubber with a sharp razor blade and spray area with WD40 before attempting to remove glass, gently from the inside push out...If the damage isn't to bad, I would make and weld a patch...if it is bigger I would have Biotex to cut a piece from his donor vehicle for you.
Don't forget to post pictures....it only took me two months to figure how to down load...in fact I could have fixed your rust hole faster.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Brad W,
How did you get a GM HEI distributor to fit your 226? I'm guessing you had to swap the guts, but I don't see how it would fit. Would you be able to write down some directions on this??
Steve

Here are some picture of the damaged area Chuck sent me.
I will be cutting out the corresponding areas from my rust free cab and shipping them to him.

Attachments

• DSC02521.jpg
    DSC02521.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02544.jpg
    DSC02544.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02545.jpg
    DSC02545.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 94
BioTex said:
Here are some picture of the damaged area Chuck sent me.
I will be cutting out the corresponding areas from my rust free cab and shipping them to him.

Methinks Chuck is a brave man... :eek:

Pete

It's a labor of love. We will never get out of it what we put into it. Dare to be different. By the way I got roof problems also. Just another days work and be blessed when the day is done!!!

Mother Nature was not kind to your 57 Wagon....I know however that it can be fixed...

Back