First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
I'm starting to slowly start on Wilbur the wagon after getting Willie the CJ going. One of the things I'd like to accomplish is returning the ashtray, which was full of 64 years of cigarette use, etc. I plan to re-chrome the outside, but what's best way to handle the inside. I'd like to take it back to factory look, but I don't think painting is the issue. So suggestions.

I sent the inside of my ash tray to the powder coater when I had enough pieces to make the trip. Once coated, I put a piece of felt on the bottom... and it's my change tray... also holds my flash USB drive with 64MB of music.

I sent the inside of my ash tray to the powder coater when I had enough pieces to make the trip. Once coated, I put a piece of felt on the bottom... and it's my change tray... also holds my flash USB drive with 64MB of music.
Here's a pic
49d868dc75a9905bfff38d059acb44df.jpg
cf37ce5d345beba8bf3b01711c93ebeb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Is there a good way to get the front piece off of the box? Mine is very tight and the screws seem soft, I am afraid that I will just tear up the screw heads.

Steve

Is there a good way to get the front piece off of the box? Mine is very tight and the screws seem soft, I am afraid that I will just tear up the screw heads.

Steve
Start soaking in a rust penetrating oil; Liquid Wrench, Blaster, et al.

Do all the soaking as stated.... if they do break... drill and tap them before you send them in for chrome. You'll likely see a bit of this during the restoration process. Also, sometimes a use part will be cheaper that restoring one that's in bad shape.

I did the same thing.

I have complete ashtray assemblies that need rechrome if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In talking to a chrome plater today, he says the insides were originally cadmium platted. He said there is a guy in his town that he takes stuff to for that kind of platting, but he has a $200 Anyone interested in possibly doing a shared process?

Last edited:
In talking to a chrome plater today, he says the insides were originally cadmium platted. He said there is a guy in his town that he takes stuff to for that kind of plotting, but he has a $200 Anyone interested in possibly doing a shared process?

Look up the hazards of cad plating. You are not even supposed to handle cad plated parts without gloves. Even worse for children. Have it zinc plated to look like cad plating. You could paint it with chrome paint or use silver "Rub n Buff" from an art store like Michaels. The latter is widely used in Rolls Royce circles on concurs cars for hard to plate items.

use silver "Rub n Buff" .........The latter is widely used in Rolls Royce circles on concurs cars for hard to plate items.

Really?? The wife has used it on various things over the years, but I never dreamed to use it on something like this. It would certainly be less expensive. I'll have to read up the plating issues. I've cleaned mine out pretty good but they still look horrible and some smell left. May have to blast them to get rid of that or will that create issues?

Does anyone know if the guy is right as to what they were originally? As I recall, they all had that dark, dull gray coloring, from Pontiac to Chevy to Willys to everything I can remember.

Last edited:
Really?? The wife has used it on various things over the years, but I never dreamed to use it on something like this. It would certainly be less expensive.

Would I lie to you? It is a wax based dye that looks exactly like cad plating and will last for years. It it is good for a $600K Rolls, it is good enough for a Willys.

Back