Jan 1, 2010
Wi.
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
I didn't get much response to my earlier post to help identify the flathead 4 that's in my '54 wagon. Too bad because I was going to give the car to the first person who had the correct answer!!! YEAH RIGHT!!!!

Anyway, I'm thinking if I simplify things I might get more answers so here's my new question-----Can anyone tell me what was the LAST year they put a flathead 4 in the Willys wagons, trucks and CJs? When did they go to the "F" head four cylinder engine?

If anyone can answer that it will help me get a handle on what year my engine might be.

Thanks,
Old Willy

My '50 jeepster introduced the fhead I believe, '49s were Lheads... family in red jeepster is featured in ad introducing new engine (but may be others I'm not familiar with)

I have a Nov 1950 Popular Science w/ article "Willys brings back the F-Head Engine" which says Willys' revival of the Fhead was the first (in 20 years) since Hudson's 6 in 1929. Maybe you can find on the net - it describes the 'new tech' and has cross sections, etc. I could try to scan but I hate to break the binding if someone out there wants to search for it first...

Thanks for all your help guys!!! The timing marks and the vacuum advance on my engine indicate it's a "late" flathead so I'm going to call it a '49. Geez--all my life I tried to put newer engines in older cars. This is the first time I've had a newer car with an older engine!! But--hey--it runs so I won't fight it!!

Old Willy

Bill,
I may have misread your original post. I thought you wanted to date the engine you had, sorry. I can tell you that I have a 51 pick up that seems very original and it has the F head in it.

Back