Heater picture thread

Here's mine after a refreshing. See post #2 on this thread for the before. Made the "front door" from an old license plate hammered over a piece of wood cut to fit. First attempt was OK, made worse by drilling handle holes in the wrong place, now that I'm more experienced, I'll try again.

The extra holes are to allow small amounts of heat when it’s just chilly and really cold enough to open the door.

I don’t see any heaters that look like mine in my 47 pickup, anybody know what this is? The big tag is unreadable and the small tag says “Deluxe”A5DEC1E1-3BA3-42B7-A47F-9E051E55B03B.jpegD7955B78-A66F-470A-B4CA-D1947A384C27.jpegD2309620-928E-4495-A517-3A4FB19528FF.jpeg

I pulled this Chevy Deluxe heater out of my '43 GPW a few weeks ago. I tried getting the motor to turn on 6 volts and it started to move but didn't spin. I think there's hope, a new life, in a Chevy.

IMG_6414.JPG
IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

This is in my '42 GPW. They hacked up the glove box floor installing it causing me to buy a ratty tub just for the glove box floor...only to learn that my script GPW has a different floor than the later ones. I finally found another glove box floor more recently.

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

This is in my '42 GPW. They hacked up the glove box floor installing it causing me to buy a ratty tub just for the glove box floor...only to learn that my script GPW has a different floor than the later ones. I finally found another glove box floor more recently.

View attachment 98884

View attachment 98885
That is the exact same heater me and my mother bought for my dad's Willys wagon for Christmas several years ago. Though now he's decided to run an aftermarket under dash A/C and heater combo, so that one will probably end up in his COE eventually. It is a cool looking heater though.

Cool!
I haven't removed it yet and don't see any brand identifiers. Do you know what it is?
I had to go look at it again to see. It's an 'Arvin', according to the little tag on ours, which is riveted through from the inside (similar to a VIN tag on later cars) and is visible from the top through a little rectangular hole in the center at the very rear of it, just past all those Slotted intake holes across the top. It's a red tag, though yours may have been painted over like the plate around the front lighted switch on yours, which is originally chrome or stainless, can't remember which. In full the plate reads 'Arvin' in big letters across the center with both 'Noblitt-Sparks Industries Inc' (across the top) and 'Columbus Indiana Made In U.S.A.' (across the bottom) in smaller print. Sorry, didn't have a camera.

There are several on ebay right now even, a few even have the original model number (which is in sticker form) at the very top of the front face, which this one was missing when we got it. Though the model #74-H doesn't seem to have defogger hose couplers on the rearmost lower sides (just open holes in their place) and the model #64-H does have the hose couplers, which would make the one we have a #64-H I guess. Apparently they were used in 1930s through early '50s GMs and Chryslers at the very least, according to the current ebay listings. Though the aftermarket heater that was in my dad's '49 Willys wagon when we got it was an Arvin too, just a lot less ornamental one.

Interesting article on Arvin Heaters (and all other wide ranging products they produced) including a shot of a NOS one of these heaters showing the top tag location and model number sticker at the front Progress is fine, but it's gone on for too long.: Vanished Makes: Arvin, Columbus, Indiana (progress-is-fine.blogspot.com)

Last edited:
Back