Aug 29, 2018
Silverado, CA
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I've got the stock headlamps in both my wagons and would like to upgrade to something a bit brighter without them looking like something that belongs on a late model Baja racer. Don't want to break the bank either...

@cwdtmmrs has a nice pair of CIBA lamps, too bad they're not made anymore. But I like the fact they look similar to stock lamps; I'm not fond of the wonky LED mash-up of dots and lenses.

I have however seen what look like sealed beam units but they use the halogen bulbs, I just can't remember where...
So if any Jeep owners out in OWF land have found something wonderful that resembles my vague description above, I'd be much obliged if y'all share that knowledge :)

Happy New Year!

I've got the stock headlamps in both my wagons and would like to upgrade to something a bit brighter without them looking like something that belongs on a late model Baja racer. Don't want to break the bank either...
@cwdtmmrs has a nice pair of CIBA lamps, too bad they're not made anymore. But I like the fact they look similar to stock lamps; I'm not fond of the wonky LED mash-up of dots and lenses.
I have however seen what look like sealed beam units but they use the halogen bulbs, I just can't remember where...
So if any Jeep owners out in OWF land have found something wonderful that resembles my vague description above, I'd be much obliged if y'all share that knowledge :)
Happy New Year!
I have enjoyed Sylvania Silverstar Halogen sealed beam lights in several vehicles.

Hey Bob...

Ok the White Beast had these Autopal Halogen H4 bulbs put in bout 9 years ago or so ....
......IMG_20211231_180103353.jpg
and Yes Damn it...!!..... wouldn't you Frucking know it..........less then 2 weeks after we installed the new bulbs.....on the way to the weekend car show...a blasted rock gets kicked up from vehicle ahead of us......and of course just had to bounce of the left edge of left headlight ....chipping it.....
IMG_20211231_174938725.jpg

IMG_20160820_180856400_HDR.jpg
these are a lot brighter than the stock sealed beams......like i also have in my 51 truck.....

.but not that crazy blinding sunlight white that the Silverstars have..and were actually outlawed for a time due to them blinding other drivers.....i might put the H4s on my truck as well.....but then again dont do lot of night driving to begin with ...and like you am not crazy bout the way too modern Fugly Angel Eye LED lights with 37 diffrent color combinations and dance programs.

Larry

Not cheap, but the older I get, the more light I need.

Also, a DIY approach--these glass housings are cheap and H4 compatible, so you can experiment a little more cheaply with Halogen and LED H4 light modules.

Not cheap, but the older I get, the more light I need.
Wow, 6V LED's for @Lookout Ranch & @Vintage Don.

I went for an inexpensive approach, got these 'plain round conversion headlights' off Amazon:

IPCW CWC-7006 7" Plain Round Conversion Headlight - 1 Piece

Then put in 100/55 'off road' Halogens and relays. Does the job, not awesome but better than stock especially on high.

HELLA HLA-H83140141 H4 12V 100/55W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use

They're not round like stockers, they are flat-ish. Look fine to me. All together it was about $60.

BFFAjLp.jpg

Lots of good suggestions here, thanks!
My wagon doesn’t go fast enough to outrun the stock headlights, so there’s no need to upgrade. Besides, I like their warm yellow 6V light.
It's not for me, it's so I can see past all the other super bright headlamps coming at me! But I did notice the old Wagner's are looking more like aquariums than headlights :(
I went for an inexpensive approach, got these 'plain round conversion headlights' off Amazon:

IPCW CWC-7006 7" Plain Round Conversion Headlight - 1 Piece

Then put in 100/55 'off road' Halogens and relays. Does the job, not awesome but better than stock especially on high.

HELLA HLA-H83140141 H4 12V 100/55W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use

They're not round like stockers, they are flat-ish. Look fine to me. All together it was about $60.

BFFAjLp.jpg
OK, I guess I need to see those; can't figure out why I didn't notice them before?

BTW, your little thrasher's wheel is done! That kid is tough on bike parts! Bring the Wagon over so I can check out the headlights and don't forget good beer ;)

Happy New Year!
are all the lamps viewers are talking about 12v or 6

I need 12 volt and yes they are all 12 vdc. If you need 6 volt I'm not sure what your options are besides the expensive sealed beam type.
These are "conversion" headlights, basically a "sealed beam" (but not) replacement that use replaceable bulbs like an H4. You may be able to find 6v halogens or some LED's that will work on 6volt. You'll need the wiring adapters to wire the bulbs to your existing headlamp plugs.

If you find a good 6 volt remedy, please post it up as there are still a few "low volters" here. I would imagine there's something out there considering all of the vintage car folks who are adamant about keeping the 1/2 power.

These leds are 6v to 30v so anybody can use them. Will give lots of light on an old 6v system.
Just to clarify, these are "bulbs" and must be used in a headlamp conversion system as described above, which is going to be a bit more complicated than just swapping out a sealed beam unit.
Also, I believe it is just a low OR high beam, not a combined unit like the stock single sealed beam unit with two filaments. Feel free to correct if I be wrong...

Richard, if you have a 6v system, it might behoove you and help everyone else who does if you post up a parallel thread with a title like "Good 6 volt Headlamp Replacements". Hopefully it'll pop up when low volters look for stuff that specifically fit their "special needs" ;) There has gotta be more selections out there (I would hope, at least for the @Vintage Don fan club).
Here's a start:
Good luck in your search!
EDIT: Doh... I just re-read my thread and realized that there IS reference to some 6v systems up there, albeit the uber expensive Holley stuff, but hey...

Last edited:
Just to clarify, these are "bulbs" and must be used in a headlamp conversion system as described above, which is going to be a bit more complicated than just swapping out a sealed beam unit.
Also, I believe it is just a low OR high beam, not a combined unit like the stock single sealed beam unit with two filaments. Feel free to correct if I be wrong...

Richard, if you have a 6v system, it might behoove you and help everyone else who does if you post up a parallel thread with a title like "Good 6 volt Headlamp Replacements". Hopefully it'll pop up when low volters look for stuff that specifically fit their "special needs" ;) There has gotta be more selections out there (I would hope, at least for the @Vintage Don fan club).
Here's a start:
Good luck in your search!
EDIT: Doh... I just re-read my thread and realized that there IS reference to some 6v systems up there, albeit the uber expensive Holley stuff, but hey...
Yes these need a conversion housing. These were just the first I found, most leds will work with that voltage since an led is current driven not voltage.

Back