Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Does anyone know when the Parking brake was moved from the Transfer case to rear drums. I have a chance to pick up both, either/or. Complete units. I'm working on a 1956 CJ 5 but not much is stock.
I'm not sure, but the drum brake unit seems to have the smaller intermediate shaft and bearings.

Last edited:

WA7OPY

Precision Fit
Aug 1, 2019
Missoula, mt
First Name
Phil
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
On the cj,s , it was after amc took over and went with the t20 straight thru case. But you fill find the drum brake is worthless...Phil

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
On the cj,s , it was after amc took over and went with the t20 straight thru case. But you fill find the drum brake is worthless...Phil
So the 56 CJ5 won't have provisions in the rear drums for parking? I haven't got the entire pile of parts home yet.

WA7OPY

Precision Fit
Aug 1, 2019
Missoula, mt
First Name
Phil
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
Nope just the p..poor drum brake on the transfer case, now it would be a grate swap to find 11 inch brakes with the parking brake and set it up that way, you would have a grate working parking brake.What I use is a mico set up, but the price for new is very bad...Phil

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
One of my D18 transfer cases has a 4 bolt flange on the out put instead of a standard u-joint yoke. It would be very easy to make an adapter between a motorcycle brake disc and the u-joint 4 bolt flange and build a mount for a caliper. I found Hydraulic e-brake floor mounted levers with integral master cylinders that are used for "Drifting cars. ' seem to be reasonably priced.

Ira

Bigger Hammer
Sep 26, 2020
Los Angeles
First Name
Ira
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Personally, I'd try to find a mechanically operated caliper as even the slowest leak will mean your brake will stop working after a bit. Lots of rear wheel disk cars have small calipers with a cable connection for a parking brake.

Ira

FinoCJ

Sharpest Tool
Aug 28, 2019
Denver, CO
First Name
James
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Rear parking brakes started in 1972 if that helps you....also keep in mind the 72 and later D44 (flanged, one piece axle) has a slightly different bolt pattern than the earlier tapered D44 axle - from what I remember in discussions, its pretty easy to get them to fit though....While I don't love the D18 mounted brake, its okay if its adjusted and kept clean from leaking oil, which can be a challenge with a D18 right in front of it. Here is a D300 with a disc brake:
1606075969864.png

Greg5565

Well Oiled
Oct 3, 2013
Brentwood, TN
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup
Willys Year:
1963, 1964
Does anyone know when the Parking brake was moved from the Transfer case to rear drums. I have a chance to pick up both, either/or. Complete units. I'm working on a 1956 CJ 5 but not much is stock.
I'm not sure, but the drum brake unit seems to have the smaller intermediate shaft and bearings.
My 230 wagon has the tranny brake and my 230 pickup has the parking brake on the rear drums - both are original to the vehicles.

FinoCJ

Sharpest Tool
Aug 28, 2019
Denver, CO
First Name
James
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
My 230 wagon has the tranny brake and my 230 pickup has the parking brake on the rear drums - both are original to the vehicles.
yes - but for the cj, the backing plates are not for the wagner style, manual adjusted brakes found on wagons. The bendix style, self-adjusting 11" brakes started in 72 for the cj - don't know about other applications such as FSJs.

dad's wagon

Bigger Hammer
Nov 16, 2018
port henry
First Name
dale
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
On my CJ5, I believe I had a 230 truck that had no provision for a E brake on the D 18 transfer so I used that and deleted it. Went with some CJ 11" rear brakes that had cables hanging out, made my own E brake handle out of a VW hand brake lever between the seats, I am still using it 40 years later...only problem is just quite not enough pull. I have made changes to correct it over the years, it does hold but not on the pucker trails!!! I am sure I have not figured out the geometry enough...but will have to rethink the mounting bracket, pivot point, handle travel???

Dale

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Here is what I did for a parking brake. Half a day in the shop. Motorcycle disc, Wilwood caliper and a little lathe work. Paper pattern and 1/4" T6 aluminum bracket to mount to bottom two extension housing bolts. Caliper is mounted to clear PTO or ovedrive unit. Now it's time to dissasemble the trasfer case and install new bearings and seals.

Billit e-brake handle and ratcheting Master Cylinder ordered from e-Bay less than $30.00 invested.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Impressive. You'll have a really strong parking brake.

Are there any original handbrake parts left from your CJ? I'm missing stuff on my a1.

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Impressive. You'll have a really strong parking brake.

Are there any original handbrake parts left from your CJ? I'm missing stuff on my a1.
I haven't got a chance to inventory all the bits and pieces. The transfer case I got with the CJ didn't have the drum. I don't know if there is a handle or not. I'll let you know. What is it you need?

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I'll have to see what the transmission shop lost/did not return. I'm thinking the handle and the linkage. The drum looks intact.

Kauai3b

Gear Grinder
Oct 17, 2020
Kauai
First Name
Will
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Mechanical disc brake calipers are available and used on boat trailers. In fact they are hot dipped galvanized for marine use, easy to adjust, and are self releasing so you can use a cable. Pretty affordable too.

I used a pair on a Cycle Car build of mine based on a 1933 Austin of England chassis.

AL-KO is the brand I went with.

786DD221-020E-4ACE-A2F9-90A3FCAC3C3F.jpeg

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Mechanical disc brake calipers are available and used on boat trailers. In fact they are hot dipped galvanized for marine use, easy to adjust, and are self releasing so you can use a cable. Pretty affordable too.

I used a pair on a Cycle Car build of mine based on a 1933 Austin of England chassis.

AL-KO is the brand I went with.

View attachment 87499
If you have the 4 bolt flange on the output shaft, boreing a motorcycle disc is quick and easy. Any machine shop should be able to fit a salvage yard/e-bay disc to your flange.

indian301

Sharpest Tool
Feb 28, 2017
Arizona
First Name
David
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Rodney,

Beware of that hydraulic parking brake assembly! My friend tried one on his rat rod and the rear brakes would not bleed, removed it and everything was fine.

Dave

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Rodney,

Beware of that hydraulic parking brake assembly! My friend tried one on his rat rod and the rear brakes would not bleed, removed it and everything was fine.

Dave
Dave .The e-brake will be totally isolated and have it's own master cylinder and resivoir. No common fluid with the rear brakes in this drive line e-brake application. If this style hydraulic e-brake handle is used in series with the main brake master cylinder and the rear wheel brakes, it could have the results you mentioned.
Rodney