Burnt distributor points?

54 pickup

Bigger Hammer
Jan 20, 2010
Norway
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Hi
My flathead 226 has been converted to 12volt with and alternator and a MSD coil. The distributor is still stock, and the points are shot i think.
If I replace the points will I burn them out again soon?

I dont care much about it beeing stock, engine wise aslong at it runs, so what upgrade can be done to give the six a better and more reliable spark?

Points are used in many 12v vehicles. The arcing is a result of something beside voltage.
Could be the dwell is set to little, causing overheating.
Could have the wrong condenser, or wrong coil. I believe if they are not matched, then you can burn up points.
Since you have an MSD coil, maybe you should see what capacitance they recommend for that coil. Then get a condensor to match.

Most 12 volt vehichles used a resister block or wire in the possitive wire to the coil to drop the voltage across the points. You also need the correct condenser .A block and condenser from a mid 60 early 70 Chev worked for me .

53Willys said:
Most 12 volt vehichles used a resister block or wire in the possitive wire to the coil to drop the voltage across the points. You also need the correct condenser .A block and condenser from a mid 60 early 70 Chev worked for me .

Agh! Good catch on the Ballast resistor. I had forgotten about that.
I may be mistaken on the ballast resistor, but thought it was used only in the cranking position to keep the voltage from dropping while the starter is engaged. I will have to look that one up later.

Bio,
The resistor is just as described. It drops the voltage to the coil so the coil can step it up as required. Somewhere between 20 - 50,000. I ran my coil without the resistor as well and have burned up my fair share of points. I bet it fixes your problem.

My engine is now defunct, but I was also looking for a way to improve the git up & go. My plan when I finally get the engine rebuilt (if it's not cracked) is to upgrade to an PERTRONIX electronic ignition. It's a unit that fits in the stock distributor housing.

Pertronix Electronic Ignition
Phone # 909-599-5955

My dist = Autolite IAT-4206
Pertronix Part # 1569

Pertronix says the kit is meant for this distributor IAT-4010 but fits mine listed above with little modification to the distributor housing.

Will need to drill out rivets that hold breaker plate.

I've also been looking for some split fire or other multi point spark plugs to put a little more flame to it. Nothing seems to cross over that I can find. If you travel down this road and find something let us know; OK?

Good luck.

Know anyone with a decent 226 for reasonable money?? ;)

Steve

On Chevys and Chrysler products the resister is bypassed while starting putting 12 volts thru the ignition. When running power to the coil is thru the resister

53Willys has it right. Points run on 6 volts to extend their life. The resistor is bypassed in the "Start" position to give a hot spark for starting. In "Run" position, the resistor comes on line to reduce the voltage to 6. However, the old low compression engines will start with any amount of spark, so if the ignition always goes through the resistor it's no problem.

Back in the day, the easiest way to steal or "borrow" a car was to run a jumper wire from the battery to the coil--jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver--and you were on your way. However the points would burn out with the full voltage to the distributor and the ride came to an end!!

Old Willy

Back in the day, the easiest way to steal or "borrow" a car was to run a jumper wire from the battery to the coil--jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver--and you were on your way. However the points would burn out with the full voltage to the distributor and the ride came to an end!!

Old Willy

Hey Old Willy, how do you know this, or shouldn't I ask? ;) :lol:

Never did it as a criminal, but there WERE times when Dad said "No, you can't use the car tonight." My buddies and I would also get a giggle in high school by going out to the parking lot at lunch and "Spiriting" another kids car to some other place. When school let out we would watch with glee as he went to the parking lot--key in hand --looking for his car. We always told the victum where the car was before the local law was called.

Fords were the easiest to "pirate" because the starter solenoid was on the firewall and easy to jump.

Ah, the good old days!!!
Old Willy

aquawilly54 said:
Bio,
The resistor is just as described. It drops the voltage to the coil so the coil can step it up as required. Somewhere between 20 - 50,000. I ran my coil without the resistor as well and have burned up my fair share of points. I bet it fixes your problem.

My engine is now defunct, but I was also looking for a way to improve the git up & go. My plan when I finally get the engine rebuilt (if it's not cracked) is to upgrade to an PERTRONIX electronic ignition. It's a unit that fits in the stock distributor housing.

Pertronix Electronic Ignition
Phone # 909-599-5955

Great thing that Pertronix Electronic Ignition Phone # 909-599-5955...I first learned of them working in the wheat fields of eastern Washington....the dust would burn a set of points out in no time at all....so all the farmers went to these...they are as easy to install as points and condenser and you don't ever need to touch them again...I have been running the same set in an old 1960 Dodge for over 10 years now.

As for the resistor...it reduces the voltage to the points once the key is moved from start to run so the points don't burn...I have jumped the resistor a few times when they have burned up...but only long enough to replace the resistor.....

54 pickup: if you want to know "what upgrade can be done to give the six a better and more reliable spark" there are several options. Another (better?) option than the Pertronix is to go distributorless Ford using the MegaJolt controller. It's way more work but you end up with a completely controllable ignition system that gives a really strong spark.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/Megajolt_Lite_Jr.

Pavel

54 pickup said:
Hi
My flathead 226 has been converted to 12volt with and alternator and a MSD coil. The distributor is still stock, and the points are shot i think.
If I replace the points will I burn them out again soon?

Points burn out, thats normal. Do you have the wires hooked up correctly on the coil?

I bought the Pertronix kit, will install it as soon as the new Holley 2bbl carb is mounted.

Back