Brakes

geojdjr

Knuckle Buster
May 30, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I'm about ready to do a complete brake job on my 4X4 53 pickup including new lines. Any thoughts re: parts suppliers or possible upgrades?
George in Desert Center, CA

The lines you may have to bend yourself. It's not hard, just buy yourself a cheap Harbor Freight brake line tubing bender tool and that will make it a breeze. I picked up my brake lines from a speed shop pre-made with the fittings and flares done already. Then I just pieced it all together.

Any of the online retailers will sell brake rebuilding kits. My favorite is willysamerica.com.

I bought a coil of bulk line. The fittings for my new caliper brake lines, new rear cylinders and into my original splitters.
Bending 'em was pretty easy just following the frame rails and thinking about the best routing. Now I am just waiting for the correct brackets for my dual m/c install so I can button the brakes up and get em adjusted and bled out. The cheapo tubing bender from H/F worked well for doing the rear axle lines those sucked a little bit.

It's really not that bad. Save everything you take off to assist in matching for new. Also get in good with your FLAPS..... Someone there with a head on their shoulders will be great to have.

Eric B said:
I bought a coil of bulk line. The fittings for my new caliper brake lines, new rear cylinders and into my original splitters.
Bending 'em was pretty easy just following the frame rails and thinking about the best routing. Now I am just waiting for the correct brackets for my dual m/c install so I can button the brakes up and get em adjusted and bled out. The cheapo tubing bender from H/F worked well for doing the rear axle lines those sucked a little bit.

It's really not that bad. Save everything you take off to assist in matching for new. Also get in good with your FLAPS..... Someone there with a head on their shoulders will be great to have.

What flaring tool are you using?

I got a flaring tool from my FLAPS, my flaring skills are still in the learning process with a buddy from work that grew up building hot rod's at his dad's shop. He has been down to the house to educate and make sure I am not setting myself up for failures.

Eric B said:
I got a flaring tool from my FLAPS, my flaring skills are still in the learning process with a buddy from work that grew up building hot rod's at his dad's shop. He has been down to the house to educate and make sure I am not setting myself up for failures.

If you have trouble with them splitting, dont cut using a tube cutter as can harden the end. Use a fine tooth hacksaw and file afterwards. Also lube the very end will help also.

Thanks for the insight.
I have been taking my time with the cutter and haven't had any problems yet..... knock on wood

Back