Sep 12, 2020
Highland, Illinois
First Name
Robert
Willys Model
  1. Aero
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Anyone have any experience or read about putting a 2 barrel carburetor on the 161ci F-Head Aero engine? Just thing out loud. I saw a two barrel to 1 barrel carburetor adapter that uses a Stromberg 97 (Ford Flathead) carburetor and wondered how it would work on the 161 Aero engine. Other possible carburetor upgrades for this engine?

Yes, the Weber progressive 2 bbl... I put one made for a 258 Jeep engine on a 196 Rambler... It ran great..

Willys Brazil produced a dual carb head for the 161 (their 2600 or 2.6 liter) that took a couple Webber 228 carbs (our Zenith 228 model), and also fitted a pair of 3 into 1 exhaust manifolds that bumped the hp up to 110. Later they increased the displacement to 3 liters & fitted a single 2bbl that brought the hp up to 135. I think those later engines mostly went into Ford Mavericks. Those parts turn up occasionally on https://www.mercadolivre.com.br/ I bought a dual carb head for my car & mounted two Zenith 228's, stuck with the US exhaust but ran 1 5/8ths pipe the whole length instead of just ahead of the muffler.

Last edited:
Looking at a Redline K553 kit that uses a Weber 32 36 progressive 2-barrel carburetor. The kit is actually the one they sell for the 134ci Jeep 4 cyl engine. Tech says it would be a better fit than the kit for the larger Jeep sixes (258ci). May have to modify linkage. Any thoughts?

You may need to change the main jets.. Make sure you get a "tall" air cleaner, they breath much better... I made linkage for my pickup using
round stock and ball swivels from the hardware store. Bullet proof linkage...

Carbs usually have a CFM rating and there's a calculation using bore/stroke/rpm to determine what your engine demands are. If no one here has done this swap already you might want to look into that. CFM of airflow is equally important as jets. Also, add up all your heights to make sure you're not assembling something taller than your hood.
Ditto on the heim joints & rods for linkage.

Back