First Name
Mickey
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
I've got to pull the gauges on my 55 soon to refurb them and send off for re-chroming I tried to look up under there but hard to see. Are there just 2 nuts holding the whole thing in? Any pics would be appreciated.

Thete are two thumb screws or nuts holding each gauge and speedometer in place.. along with the gauge bezel.

Larry

See post #1 in 1952-1956 gauge assembly and chrome bezel.

index.php

Also if you want to clean up your gauges, here's how I stumbled my way through it: Easy gauge restoration and testing (for beginners).

The oem nuts were missing on my gauges...So, I just used machine scew nuts.. Back when 1st put my truck on the road, there was so much vibration I was concerned the nuts would loosen... As you know, if you over tighten the nuts you can break the lense/glass... So I put short
pieces of very small vacuum tube over the studs to keep the nuts in place... They are still there after over 12 years, doing what I intended..

I fabricated a driver out of 1/4 inch steel pipe with a dremel tool. The nuts in the center are impossible without some type of driver

So if I'm understanding it, the actual dash is sandwiched between the the outer chrome piece and each of the two guage pods. I would never have figured out that nut as dark and hard to see as it is. So I can see where a special tool needs to be fabricated to remove those 4 fastners.

I fabricated a driver out of 1/4 inch steel pipe with a dremel tool. The nuts in the center are impossible without some type of driver

What kind of length did you need? I'm thinking an actual nut driver and then cut the slots. That way you have a grip handle.

So if I'm understanding it, the actual dash is sandwiched between the the outer chrome piece and each of the two guage pods.

You're understanding it correctly.

A nut driver would work after modifying it. Once you loosen the nut, place a piece duck tape backwards in the driver. This will keep the nut in place. Electrical tape works just as well.
Paul

If I were to purchase a cheap HF nut driver to dremmel out the slots, what size would y'all recommend? 1/4 inch or slightly bigger? And what width of slot? 1/8 inch?

Back