1955 Pickup, And so it begins . . .

Looks awesome!
Thanks, it's a small business run by a father and son. they do amazing work. Their specialty is large, ocean racing yachts. Cars are a side line. They actually mold the carpet to fit the curves in the floor, and made the center part removable if tranny work is ever needed.

Last edited:
Some Background (Trivia)
A friend asked me why I restore Jeeps. "No, I was never in the military," I told him, "But as a child, we lived on a private estate with a long road that the village did not maintain. My dad bought us a used Jeep at an auction, of a service station that went bankrupt. I seem to think it was a CJ3A with a Myers plow and a Sears aluminum cab." I learned to plow and sort of learned to drive on our road. It lasted a few years and then it was resold and forgotten. A few years ago my wife expressed an interest in having a "Summer Jeep." The prices of new ones were crazy, and they look like real crap. Even the frames fall apart, and they cost as much as her BMW convertible. So, we bought a pile of parts in PA and spent the winter rebuilding it. That got me going again, reliving childhood memories, so, I bought my pickup project, and now a wagon, "Betty Lou Was New in 62"
Just some rambling, sorry. It is an 84 CJ7, loaded, even has factory A/C. Color is Dodge Hellcat, "Furious Fuscia"
CJ7 001.JPG

Bedliner Done!
Well, the guy who used to spray Rhino-Liner for us is gone. Went to his (now former) shop only to find a Pep Boys Tire Store. So, went to the autobody supply and got some SEM "professional" tintable bed liner. It seemed to be nice stuff, I've had good luck with SEM materials over the years, so I decided to give it a try. It's a 3 part system, the tintable base material itself, the catalyst and you supply the color. Simple to do, just add 3 ounces of unreduced base color to each Schutz bottle, add the catalyst and base material and spray. 3 coats later, it looks amazing! A short time, and it was ready to go. Easy application and a great result.
What do you think? Total cost 215.00 for everything, and I have about 1/2 of the material left for the next job.willys, 55 bed 2.jpg

Attachments

• willys, 55 bed straight.jpg
    willys, 55 bed straight.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 60
  • willys, 55 lf qtr.jpg
    willys, 55 lf qtr.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 67
  • willys, 55 me.jpg
    willys, 55 me.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 69
Looks amazing! i have used Rapter several times with equal success. Even painted the exterior of a friends crew cab Ford 8" bed. Tough as can be.

Lance,
Your pickup/wrecker looks fantastic. earlier in the thread I got a glimpse of your seats. Would you mind posting an interior pic and some details. I'm going to use TJ buckets for the back of my wagon but want something more comfortable for the front. Your pickup would be perfect 2020 calendar material.

Lance,
Your pickup/wrecker looks fantastic. earlier in the thread I got a glimpse of your seats. Would you mind posting an interior pic and some details. I'm going to use TJ buckets for the back of my wagon but want something more comfortable for the front. Your pickup would be perfect 2020 calendar material.
Happy to. I'll shoot some photos tomorrow. The seats are from a late model Chrysler minivan, rear seats. These are commonly used to make handicap drivable vehicles, so they are available brand new for a reasonable price online. They have integral tracks, however for my comfort, I raised them 3 inches, with pieces of 3" "C" channel aluminum under the tracks.

Last edited:
Happy to. I'll shoot some photos tomorrow. The seats are from a late model Chrysler minivan, rear seats. These are commonly used to make handicap drivable vehicles, so they are available brand new for a reasonable price online. They have integral tracks, however for my comfort, I raised them 3 inches, with pieces of 3" "C" channel aluminum under the tracks.

Interior photos, hope they help.

Attachments

• Willys, interior pickup 004.JPG
    Willys, interior pickup 004.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Willys, interior pickup 006.JPG
    Willys, interior pickup 006.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 74
Lance,
Those seats look great and very comfortable. So you found those online from a van conversion business? A late model minivan, those seats look brand new. Thank you for sharing your ideas & knowledge. Larry

Lance,
Those seats look great and very comfortable. So you found those online from a van conversion business? A late model minivan, those seats look brand new. Thank you for sharing your ideas & knowledge. Larry
HI Larry, yes, brand new, still wrapped in plastic. They remove them to make the trucks wheelchair -drivable. Average price on eBay 200.00 each. I have also used (new) Mustang GT seats in another car, they look and feel fabulous. electric tracks, lumbar, and all leather. I got them from a new (totaled) GT. only had about 100 miles on it. These are way better than the Chrysler seats, but too tall to fit the cab. Also a bit more money. 750.00 for the pair.

TOW LATER< NOT TOW MATER.
Today we finally received the crane back from the powder coater. So, we immediately set about to see how it will look back in the bed of the truck. We had previously made the light pylon, so that too found its way into the bed. Nothing is hooked up yet, nor bolted down, just test fitting to see how it looks. Originally, this boom used an external hand crank to operate it, but the spare tire is in the way of that idea. The crank is long, about 4 feet, with a bushing that fits into a hole in the bed-side, and a pin on the end that cams into a slot in the winch. I think that a small handle will suffice for what I want, especially since it will never be actually used to tow. What do you think?Willys, Manley Crane 001.JPG

Attachments

• Willys, Manley Crane 002.JPG
    Willys, Manley Crane 002.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Willys, Manley Crane 003.JPG
    Willys, Manley Crane 003.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Willys, Manley Crane 004.JPG
    Willys, Manley Crane 004.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 41
BEST looking wrecker I've ever seen. Perfect for a winter month calendar pic.
Thanks, I may do some photos, in the park next month, when all is done. It should really look nice with the lights and accessories installed. I'm considering having my artist friend do some "Old school" lettering on the doors to enhance the look.

Originally, this boom used an external hand crank to operate it...

Chain-driven jack shaft?

Love the old school hand-painted lettering! Not too many of those artists are still plying their craft.

It's A Manley Wrecker!
Today I decided on installing the wrecker crane and lights on the old gal. After a few days of looking at it and moving it back and forth a bit, The final placement was decided. As I had said earlier, this will never be used to tow, so I just used a few 1/2 inch bolts to secure it to the bed sheet metal. Certainly if it was to be used as a wrecker, it would rip out on the first tow. Years ago, I had this same kind of rig on a 56 Chevy truck, which was actually used to tow. The under pinnings of the truck were heavily strengthened and reinforced. I found a NOS Federal #17 Beacon Ray light, which looks cool on this old gal. Tomorrow I'll wire it up and work on a few small oil leaks that I see on the floor. I have a feeling that this is like my old Harleys did, they don't leak, they leave their mark....
Eventually, I need to make a 3 "pipe tow bar, to finish of the tow crane. This rig is quite appropriately named, I can imagine having to hand crank up a car. Even with 100 to 1 winch reduction, it still had to be a bear to do. Manley indeed!Willys, june 8 033.JPG

Attachments

• Willys, june 8 032.JPG
    Willys, june 8 032.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Willys, june 8 031.JPG
    Willys, june 8 031.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Lance,

Hey Larry....

Those are the exact same seats i put in my 51 truck back in 2014 ......came out of a 2000's Chrysler Town and Country Mini Van these are the rear stow and go captains chairs that fold flat and then store down under the load floor in the back ......hence the name .....i got these from a dismantler that does automotive repairs .....here in the Valley ......who went around and bought all the new take out seats from the handicap van conversion shops ....then they resell the online ....these were brand spanking new in plastic.....i paid....a paltry sum of ....$50 for the pair..!!....$50 for two brand new seats..!! ...let's see your local junkyard try and touch that..!!

IMG_1450.jpg...........IMG_1453.jpg.......i wound up making custom risers out of flatbar stock to raise front of seat 3 inchs in front and 1.5 inch in the rear to gain legroom and was able to retain slider function to a degree.

In fact,...the seats are comfortable enough that i just finished a 1100 mile road trip to Moab UT and back to attend the 10th Annual Willys Rally .....spending 1 of 2 days out 4 wheeling with the group bouncing off,... crawling over rocks,... dropping off small steps and generally rocking ,..rolling and rattling around on trails.with 25 other trucks,.. wagons and plain military and civilian jeeps
after driving 500 miles home in 1 day,....did not need to go see a chiropractor afterwards......the 52 White Beast has 79 Scirocco Ricarro seats in it right now that are pretty comfortable as well.

Larry

Larry, those seats are great. I’d love to find 4 of those. Now that folks are back from Moab do many Willys folk hit the pavilion on Friday evening? Your Moab pics were great. Thanks, Larry

Hey Larry...

I believe those seats are still available at the shop that i got mine from.... Deja Vu Autowerks.....down at 25th St and Jackson.. just north of Sky Harbor behind Valley Spring next to the giant Steel Warehouse......

as far as i know,.... there are only a couple of us who come to the Pavilions on Sat night....besides the two of us out of 10-12 trucks and 3-4 wagons and 2-3 jeepsters that i know of here in town that i have seen,,,...there are only 4 trucks and 1 wagon and 2 jeepsters that every once in a while will show up ....was told my friend Dave in his 51 truck showed up while we were in Moab......we are the only regular Willys out there.

speaking of pics....up until now i dont think i had posted any Moab pics..??

However that has changed......i just finished uploading a whole bunch of pics to Google Drive....and posted a link .under Events and Gatherings ....Moab Willys 2019 thread ......showing you some of what i saw while out running around with the group.

Larry

Back