1954 Willys Truck in Spokane, WA

Adam, your truck is in great shape and your work is coming along great. Those pictures of the cat and bear are priceless. When do you get the spare truck?

What did you use for brackets under those seats? They look awesome in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reused what the PO put in there for the old bucket seats. So I’m not sure what they came out of.

Adam, your truck is in great shape and your work is coming along great. Those pictures of the cat and bear are priceless. When do you get the spare truck?

Thanks! There was nothing on it that I needed, so I sold it and met that buyer at the property.

I finally pieced together my axle shafts for the front axle:

625a4aa9bce11e00167ececf71d73e03.jpg

I have most of what I need now- I’m going 5 lug rotors, so I’ll be getting those next. Slow going!

Thanks! There was nothing on it that I needed, so I sold it and met that buyer at the property.

Sure ...you say that now......but am pretty sure that somewhere in your build you are going to find a part)s that are in very bad shape and you will be thinking ..hey no problem.... I got a parts truck....take one off that.....OH Crap ...no I don't...!! I sold it thinking I don't need anything from it......Damn wish to Hell I had not sold it in a hurry..!!.

Idea being keep everything until After your truck is built up and running... cause you just never know what you might need....and if it's a hard to find part...may take many months to find.... anytime you have a good dedicated parts source on hand that is a gold mine.

Larry

Sure ...you say that now......but am pretty sure that somewhere in your build you are going to find a part)s that are in very bad shape and you will be thinking ..hey no problem.... I got a parts truck....take one off that.....OH Crap ...no I don't...!! I sold it thinking I don't need anything from it......Damn wish to Hell I had not sold it in a hurry..!!.

Idea being keep everything until After your truck is built up and running... cause you just never know what you might need....and if it's a hard to find part...may take many months to find.... anytime you have a good dedicated parts source on hand that is a gold mine.

Larry

So true- this whole build process is taking me to a lot of new life/build lessons- I’ve built and modded 63-72 FSJ’s only for so long, I feel like a kid again in the sense that every piece on the willy’s is new to me!

I may live to regret selling off the spare truck, but between all her broken glass, Rambler hacked in steering column, booger welds all over the front clip, and an entirely different dash configuration than mine, I figured I cut my losses and let some one else have a go at it. I wish I had the space to keep a bone yard of spare part rigs!

The stock pile of axle parts grows; my limited slip came in! I’m almost ready to tackle the 44 front and 60 rear swap.

690c7c561bfb1fa03766b4c1a0331794.jpg

a2e97506523511a4c73aec6d4568e11a.jpg

6f282d8a514a1b9a91c85b65e1081d41.jpg

It’s been quite the time here as of late.

For less than the cost of a new starter and a rebuild of the Willy’s three speed (missing second gear, and the starter blew apart) I picked up a j10 with the 258, 3 speed, Dana 20 combo. I’ll sell of what I don’t need to recoup the initial cost of the J10 and possibly break even at least.

bce9dd5e5efbfa098987317338b9abd2.jpg

Here she sits as of tonight.

2178a2b785280494e9c666d1f6b7aa4a.jpg

Haha, under all that mess is the J10 drivetrain! Let the real fun and games begin.

Out with the old:

fbe32e89d59bab84e52d96e95d46b4ea.jpg

In with the new:

642ec48b2d253224f5dccb683f805426.jpg

I’m in the market for a period correct license plate. But, I’m not in a hurry.

77bd76bf95072689509c71a78f23a185.jpg

You're killing me Adam. I have a license plate collection and I don't yet have Washington State nor Idaho (love that potato message). although I may have an Idaho coming from a fellow OWF member. I've got about 39 states. I'm in New England so I am from the other end from you. Got any Washington lying around? I'll trade small parts for a license plate. I have boatloads of parts fro J series trucks and waggies up to mid 70's.
diggerG

You're killing me Adam. I have a license plate collection and I don't yet have Washington State nor Idaho (love that potato message). although I may have an Idaho coming from a fellow OWF member. I've got about 39 states. I'm in New England so I am from the other end from you. Got any Washington lying around? I'll trade small parts for a license plate. I have boatloads of parts fro J series trucks and waggies up to mid 70's.
diggerG

I might have a few hanging around.

3bba2c1235aa1565a2a5b75cd36d4fb9.jpg

[emoji23]

Is your 62 J200 an independent front suspension model?
I have a niece running a horse farm (polo ponies) on an island in Peugot Sound.
How can we make a deal for 2 plates? I have extras from a lot of states.

diggerG

Is your 62 J200 an independent front suspension model?
I have a niece running a horse farm (polo ponies) on an island in Peugot Sound.
How can we make a deal for 2 plates? I have extras from a lot of states.

diggerG

No, the 62 was a 2wd Forestry Dept. before we repowered her and converted her to 4WD.

All the plates in the pic are from rigs I’ve bought, sold, parted out, etc. over the years.

What plates were you after?

I PM'ed you about plates, willing to trade. Do you know about them on OWF?

Some early J series trucks and Wagoneers actually had an independent (live) front axle. They got rid of it quickly. I actually had one. It looked like a real piece of junk, just like the ones they make today.
diggerG

Haha, yeah. There was a set up for sale here locally- frame and running gear for 150.00.

The ad expired. This was years ago, the purists would go ape over that kind of stuff. Me? Not so much.

I’ve been neglecting my duties on the old willy’s. I purchased an ignition switch a few weeks back and I finally got around to installing it tonight.

What was supposed to be a 30 minute job, turned into an hour and 45 minute marathon of cleaning up a rat’s nest of wiring.

I couldn’t hear it, but the starter would stay on whenever the engine was on. I went through two starters. My son happened to be outside with me when I was tinkering with it and asked why the starter was always engaged. Yikes.

I’ll find out soon enough whether or not I’ve solved the problem of this thing eating starters.

8311b9f21917d567cb0491ed602d39da.jpg

I may get the starter installed tonight, or not. I’m losing steam.

I am finally getting to put together the narrowed open knuckle 44. I did the Ford rotor swap, so she’s 5 on 5.5. She has a limited slip, too.

I’ll be running a 5 lug Dana 60 with a locker in the rear.

200b6b75972ce74c741fcc1dcfda4094.jpg

70c300497db7bb2fe839fcf5b5acd75e.jpg

Edit:

0f3662e9197b2edd3d78fa65ca191f6d.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work Adam.
Your rotor picture above reminds me of my installing the 5 on 5 lugs NT open knuckle Danna 44. I also have limited slip in my front axle.
My rear axle is a ford 9" with limited slip.

Keep the pictures coming. Cheers.

Tapatalk isn’t letting me log in for some reason- is that happening to anyone else?

I picked up a set of 16” rims with the “right” amount of patina to match her, but better yet, the rims have the snap in style hubcap retaining clips (I’m on the hunt to replace three missing clips.90B8D5FF-0EFE-4190-832C-4D65D79B98D8.jpeg0F763121-64EC-4C5E-9B98-6527403B56B6.jpeg

Tapatalk isn’t letting me log in for some reason- is that happening to anyone else?

I picked up a set of 16” rims with the “right” amount of patina to match her, but better yet, the rims have the snap in style hubcap retaining clips (I’m on the hunt to replace three missing clips).

Back