134-161 clutch question

Doug
This is why I didn’t discuss the ring gear issue. There is also a tapered pin and straight pin bolt up issue, AND the 8 1/2” or 9 1/4” clutch issue. Much of the time a ring gear swap will change over the flywheels but don’t count on it. Usually I don’t tell people about that, I just grab the correct flywheel for the desired app.
diggerG
Hi Greg, I never really understood why and when they used the shoulder bolts vs the tapered pins. I ordered a NOS M38A1 flywheel (including ring gear, 1958 package date) for my 1962 M38A1 based jeep from Brent Mullins and it was wrong. A trip to the Machine shop solved it. The machine shop cost more than the new flywheel.

I never really understood why and when they used the shoulder bolts vs the tapered pins.

I never understood the "why" part either, but they imply in the manual that a new installation would require a tapered reamer and switching over to the 9/16" dowel bolts just needed a straight reamer. At least that's my understanding of the text in the manual. I don't why the flywheel wouldn't come from the factory with the tapered holes like the earlier ones did.

1713978925491.png

1713978691189.png

Hi Greg, I never really understood why and when they used the shoulder bolts vs the tapered pins. I ordered a NOS M38A1 flywheel (including ring gear, 1958 package date) for my 1962 M38A1 based jeep from Brent Mullins and it was wrong. A trip to the Machine shop solved it. The machine shop cost more than the new flywheel.
I never understood it either. My GUESS is different machine shops who built engine parts for Willys drilled crankshafts differently. (tapered holes versus straight), but that is pretty wierd. Sound like a Jeep?????
diggerG

Back