A 1946 CJ2A has arrived in VintageDonVille!!

I have a few extra sets of MB hood blocks so I looked up whether or not they were the same as the early 2A and lo and behold, the 2A blocks are taller. But from I read, not at tall as yours. I wonder if a PO made them or spaced them higher to clear a larger wiper (longer shaft?) assembly.

Well, it was hot out there mowing, and it wore me out. But I wanted to "un-bob" the bottom of that second fender! So I did, I got it done.

Just a little tiny patch, cut out of a scrap fender a friend brought to me at the recent Reunion in Aurora. As you can see, my fender also had a hole drilled at some time, right on the line where they later hacked it off. (Bobbed it)

Resized_20210605_161720.jpeg

Mighta been silly, but I wanted to use a piece of a "real fender" for that patch, because of the reinforcement rod that runs along the lip. Hard to replicate.

20210605_193842.jpg

So it was pretty fiddly to get that little thing to fit exactly. Lots of angles, radiuses, and straight lines to get right!

Resized_20210605_161704.jpeg

But I got it shaped, and welded on -

Resized_20210605_180436.jpeg

Spent two and a half hours getting that made and on there....

Didn't have time to mix up my mud to skim coat it, too close to dinner time by then.

So I sanded the other new step work on the other side, have it just about ready for first primer tomorrow. (I had "un-bobbed" that side earlier, when I replaced most of the step.)

Resized_20210605_183315.jpeg

I was afraid the yard work would prevent me from getting any meaningful Shop time today - so it felt good to get those two little loose ends moved forward. I'll sleep better tonight. Besides, today wore my ass out! Haha

Last edited:
I know I haven't been keeping up my usual chain of postings... Busy time, and I'm working on too many different fronts!

The work on Chuffy has continued too, of course. I did those "bobbed fenders" repairs, and now I've got paint on them - as well as the second "step."

I found this "Before" photo of the passenger (second) step, also showing the re-pop step before I cut it down to fit what was needed - and you can see the bobbed fender bottom -

Resized_20210412_114212.jpeg

After I chopped away the bad stuff, I was down to this -

20210528_152007.jpg

I had to rework the forward edge of the re-pop, the angle was all wrong.

20210528_152058.jpg

And the little tab at the rear was way too big, and needed the "mystery hole" drilled. That part was easy stuff, of course.

20210528_152215.jpg

I struggled awhile to get things fitting well enough to weld, all of which tied in with the floor repairs just on the other side of the tub wall - especially on the underside. (Gotta do that, too! haha)

But eventually it was welded in place solidly, all the little loose ends were tied in, and on to the bodywork phase. Shown here with the bobbed fender repair done, too.

Resized_20210604_171412.jpeg

Not real glamorous - fill, sand, primer, repeat. But I'm getting pretty close to done with the color match now.

Resized_20210608_162440.jpeg

The other side is done, too.

The underside is ready for the flat black paint (crummy photo, sorry). But you can't feel any seams now!

20210608_214639.jpg

Next - I'm messing with trying to save the front of the original toolbox...

20210606_181729.jpg

That'll be fun...

Last edited:
I would like to know why Willy's went to all the trouble stamp the panel Jeep when It was so hard to see, anyone know...Phil
Because it was better than a simple bead? It's interesting because I can't think of any other place that stamping is used. You would think something like that would go on the tailgate or some other prominent place.

Also, I was just noticing that with a little ingenuity, I could make it say "Jeff" ;-)

I have to admit I'm a little surprised that you didn't mention replacing the oak strips that were originally part of the details of the hat channels. And for anyone that has had a fairly large lady actually step on one of those splash guards seeing them called steps even in quotation marks is a bit chilling. But if it ever happens to Chuffy that will give you another chance to put in the oak reinforcing strips ;).

I'm going through one of those periods where there's just not enough time..... and it's lasting too long! The big Reunion last weekend; having company, and more coming - doctor appointments - just busy.

I've been grabbing a few hours in the Shop, of course. My recent efforts have still been chipping away at the "step." I don't even remember what I've posted above.

These little steps were one of the few truly rusty areas to deal with on Chuffy, and they are tied in to the associated floor work on the other side of the tub wall, kinda all inter-connected underneath.

I started here -

View attachment 99370

and I wanted to save as much of the original as possible, including the little "tab" with its factory hole at the rear.

View attachment 99371

That hat channel was rough, globs of old weld repairs, but salvageable. And the front had two more "extra holes" to weld up.

View attachment 99372

I carved out the part from the re-pop patch step that I needed, got it fitting pretty well.

View attachment 99373

My cut lines made it harder than it needed to be, but I eventually got it tacked and solid. (Suddenly I'm having deja vu, maybe I did already post some of this - sorry!).

View attachment 99374

The body work was ridiculous - trying to hold that tight 90, where it turns up onto the tub wall, and make that seam between old and new truly disappear. Above my pay grade!

View attachment 99376

But yesterday I got satisfied, and laid down my final primer. Then color, which again I really struggled to match up.

View attachment 99378

I've already sanded that and put another coat on it this morning.....

Oh, and I got to the 'primer stage' on the floor patchwork on this driver side, too, now.

View attachment 99379

So now I'm studying the passenger side, which is a totally different set of challenges, of course.
What's with the Brake and clutch pedal? They aren't original. What an obomanation.

What's with the Brake and clutch pedal? They aren't original. What an obomanation

Geeeze, Rocket.... calm down, calm down! I'm well aware of this terrible situation, and it's On The List! Haha

20210611_082059.jpg

Actually, it looks like the original pedals ARE still there, and somebody went to significant - if misguided - effort to install those diamond plate covers. They've drilled a hole in each corner of each pedal, and put a bolt and nut in. And then cut off the extra bolt length on the backside, somehow. No idea how you could get a cutting tool back there - but it jimmied up the remaining threads...

And those 8 bolts and nuts really don't want to come apart... it's really hard to get a wrench on most of those nuts on the backside of those curved pedals. I've managed to get about half of them off. And it looks like I'm going to have to drill out the rest, just can't turn 'em.

Then I'll have 8 more holes to weld closed and grind. Assuming the pedals are in decent shape.

I've been debating if it's worth the effort to remove the pedals to work on them, but that would mean pulling the Master Cylinder, I think.

So once I get those diamond plate covers off, I'll send them to you. You can modify them to put on your wagon.

Last edited:
What's with the Brake and clutch pedal? They aren't original. What an obomanation.
Don't worry Rocket. After Tuesday Don will not have any excuses, other than time, to not have recified that situation ;-)

9505 5119 2857 1162 2389 58

But he's on his own as far those slotted screws holding the master cylinder cover on.

I've been debating if it's worth the effort to remove the pedals to work on them, but that would mean pulling the Master Cylinder, I think.
It's just one simple bolt per pedal down at the arm. Easy peasey.

And, I'm not 100% sure, but the picture makes it look like the pedals are reversed, with the clutch pedal being the actual brake pedal, and the brake pedal missing it's top lip....but none of that will matter after Tuesday.

but none of that will matter after Tuesday.

What have you done? What will happen on Tuesday?

So I need to focus on the pedals, it looks like...... The pedal arm that goes through the floor simply unbolts from a separate arm that rotates on the shaft? I was thinking it was all one piece, like on the truck -

20210611_105140.jpg

You gotta take a bunch of stuff apart to get them out.

But if the pedals on the CJ are each two separate arms - that'll make it nice and easy to pull them out. Hadn't looked at that yet.

Because - dang it - that's not what I'm working on right now! Haha

It's just one simple bolt per pedal down at the arm. Easy peasey.
If they are like my M38a1 arms, as Jeff wrote, just one pinch bolt per arm below that floorboard.

Gotcha. So now I've gone and looked at it.

Maybe not so Easy-peasy after all....

On the clutch pedal, the head of the pinch bolt is snapped off (should be where the arrow is pointing) - but the body of the bolt is still there. You can see the threaded end sticking out where it's circled. And of course it's still tightly locked on. Great...

20210611_120242.jpg

But at least the brake pedal bolt is still there and intact.

But I'm trying to work on the grille area. I've got 5 evil holes that don't belong there. Need to weld them closed.

Screenshot_20210611-120944_Chrome.jpg

And to get at the 2 upper ones, the headlight buckets and trim rings are in the way.

So all that stuff had to come apart.

Resized_20210611_091456.jpeg

Which gives me the "opportunity" to make those headlight rings be body color, instead of black which is WRONG. (Even though I'll have to repaint them again when Chuffy gets a proper Pasture Green paint job. If I live long enough...)

Resized_20210611_091523.jpeg

But when I looked at them after a quick cleanup and some primer, they are way too pitted to be acceptable. So of course I've got to fill the pits...

Resized_20210611_121314.jpeg

But I'm supposed to be working on that toolbox face. I was just working here for a minute (I thought) while paint was drying on the toolbox.

And now @rocket has me chasing clutch pedal issues. And sounds like @JABJEEP has turned into Santa, and Tuesday is Christmas!

20210611_121928.jpg

I ain't getting nothin done!!! Haha

Back