A 1946 CJ2A has arrived in VintageDonVille!!

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
With video! (Turn on your sound)

You saw it here first!! This has been in the works for about a month...

@Ken_P nailed it a month ago! @bird made me jealous... And @Stakebed needs something to watch, with all that popcorn he bought......

EDIT - we moved this thread - which was originally titled "Major Announcement in VintageDonVille" - from it's original location over to this sub-Forum in CJ Build Threads, so that I can "keep it all in one place" this time.... (Thanks, @scramboleer !)

Last edited:

Ken_P

Bigger Hammer
Nov 16, 2020
Norfolk, VA
First Name
Ken
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
So awesome! Congratulations! A little further along than old Willa Dean was! What’s the plan? Drive and enjoy, full restoration, or somewhere in between?

Last edited:

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
That is great Don! I like that it runs and drives. I also really like your gas station bell.

The exhaust sounds like a V8.

Did you say 1946 CJ2a VEC? Played it twice but that is what it sounds like to me.

Now I need some Raisinettes.

Willys Overland

Bigger Hammer
Jun 5, 2019
Jeep Central
First Name
Keith
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Don,

I knew something was brewing when I saw you lurking on the CJ2A page...

As a special note, the video that followed yours memorializing Phil Toney was near and dear to my heart.
I've known Phil for at least 35 years. His passing was a great loss to the hobby.

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Wow, that's a lot of responses so quick! It still feels like Christmas morning around here.....

And you're already gonna get a SECOND video down below! haha

On January 19, @Ken_P said: "I predict bone-stock CJ2A." Which kinda freaked me out! Because that was a couple days after I had just pulled the trigger and bought this fine piece of engineering. - that was in that thread about "Final Cab Build-out," and we were talking about cigarette brands, etc. and guys were telling me I needed the next project - which I had already committed to buy. It's been tough keeping my mouth shut, but I wanted to announce this development when it was actually HERE..

But at that point, it was still sitting in Ft. Worth Texas, waiting to get picked up - which took forever to get accomplished.... and now of course, it finally showed up here this morning.

20210213_115438.jpg

And yes, Ken, it IS a bit further along than Willa Dean was - but it needs almost as much work, really. It'll run, more or less - and even move. But it's pretty "Mickey-Moused up."

@Stakebed yes, as Willys Overland said, "VEC" is commonly used to describe the early, first bit of production of this first year of Civilian Jeeps, which still had several carry-over military features. This one is pretty early (late February 1946), so it has most of those features. It is Serial Number 18907, and Body # 9077 - so about the 9,000th civilian version produced.

The most visible and obvious is called "the Indents" below the driver entry "doorway" - which was for the shovel and axe mounting - which were NOT ever actually used on the CJ model - just left over body dies from MB production. These were included up until # 29,500, then that panel became smooth.

20210213_152944.jpg

Next unusual feature is that the first ones had column shift, which lasted up until # 38,221. As is very commonly the case, this gets switched over to a floor shift set-up, which has been done on mine here. BUT - I've already located (hen's teeth!) the parts to "put it back right." And it still has its original, side shift ears and transmission in place.

Resized_20210131_195500.jpeg

@Stakebed it does sound like a V8 in that video, doesn't it? But that's just a rotted out exhaust system. Under the hood lives a very late (post WWII dated) MB 4 cylinder Go-Devil, with chain-driven timing gears.

This one has an incorrect (later) windshield currently mounted - but the original one also came with it. I'll be switching them back, of course. And the original has the "Square Washers" which is another early VEC feature. Later, they were simple round washers. That is the outside anchor for holding a bracket where the top rails store, on the inside of the windshield when the top is stowed.) This photo below is when the original windshield was still on there, and I've got it here.

20210213_154449.jpg

Yet another feature - the early ones had "solid disc" wheel (I was asking @JABJEEP questions about these recently - sorry about the cloak-and-dagger nature of that question, Jabby! I had to do it that way.) So I have THREE of the original wheels, and need to find a 4th and 5th for the spare. These early style wheels don't have the 4 open "slits" where the inner and outer portions of the wheel meet - it's just solid all the way around.

20210213_154848.jpg

And there's a million other things I want to do with it. It's got some rust that I'll have to fix. The color is wrong, it was properly "Pasture Green" (as below) as only two colors were offered at first. At least it's still green... This one is not going to be "in patina" - it's not going to be a Show Car by any means, but I'm gonna make it pretty...

Screenshot_20210213-160917_Chrome.jpg

And it's been switched to 12V (gasp!) so I'll be finding a proper 6V Generator and everything else and putting it back right. And it's got a crappy aluminum radiator - I've already got a proper replacement (from @shade ) sitting here in the shop to go in it.

.... I was expecting you to announce that your wife was pregnant and we would get another little....

Mickey, I work on that every chance I get.....

It was funny - it wouldn't start in the trailer this morning - it was 15 degrees here, and its battery wasn't up to the challenge - so we had to get The Bride's new green Jeep out and pull it back to it's new home. Once it warmed up in there, it fired right up. Here's a little video of that exercise -

I'm totally excited! And I've learned - this time around, I'll start a proper "Build Thread" in the CJ sub-Forum here and do it right! haha This is gonna take a while......

Thanks for all the support and good vibes, everyone!

pixman

Bigger Hammer
Jul 24, 2019
Wadsworth Ohio
First Name
Jeffrey
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Very cool Don, looking forward to seeing more.
Pete
Wow, that's a lot of responses so quick! It still feels like Christmas morning around here.....

And you're already gonna get a SECOND video down below! haha

On January 19, @Ken_P said: "I predict bone-stock CJ2A." Which kinda freaked me out! Because that was a couple days after I had just pulled the trigger and bought this fine piece of engineering. - that was in that thread about "Final Cab Build-out," and we were talking about cigarette brands, etc. and guys were telling me I needed the next project - which I had already committed to buy. It's been tough keeping my mouth shut, but I wanted to announce this development when it was actually HERE..

But at that point, it was still sitting in Ft. Worth Texas, waiting to get picked up - which took forever to get accomplished.... and now of course, it finally showed up here this morning.

View attachment 92893

And yes, Ken, it IS a bit further along than Willa Dean was - but it needs almost as much work, really. It'll run, more or less - and even move. But it's pretty "Mickey-Moused up."

@Stakebed yes, as Willys Overland said, "VEC" is commonly used to describe the early, first bit of production of this first year of Civilian Jeeps, which still had several carry-over military features. This one is pretty early (late February 1946), so it has most of those features. It is Serial Number 18907, and Body # 9077 - so about the 9,000th civilian version produced.

The most visible and obvious is called "the Indents" below the driver entry "doorway" - which was for the shovel and axe mounting - which were NOT ever actually used on the CJ model - just left over body dies from MB production. These were included up until # 29,500, then that panel became smooth.

View attachment 92894

Next unusual feature is that the first ones had column shift, which lasted up until # 38,221. As is very commonly the case, this gets switched over to a floor shift set-up, which has been done on mine here. BUT - I've already located (hen's teeth!) the parts to "put it back right." And it still has its original, side shift ears and transmission in place.

View attachment 92895

@Stakebed it does sound like a V8 in that video, doesn't it? But that's just a rotted out exhaust system. Under the hood lives a very late (post WWII dated) MB 4 cylinder Go-Devil, with chain-driven timing gears.

This one has an incorrect (later) windshield currently mounted - but the original one also came with it. I'll be switching them back, of course. And the original has the "Square Washers" which is another early VEC feature. Later, they were simple round washers. That is the outside anchor for holding a bracket where the top rails store, on the inside of the windshield when the top is stowed.) This photo below is when the original windshield was still on there, and I've got it here.

View attachment 92899

Yet another feature - the early ones had "solid disc" wheel (I was asking @JABJEEP questions about these recently - sorry about the cloak-and-dagger nature of that question, Jabby! I had to do it that way.) So I have THREE of the original wheels, and need to find a 4th and 5th for the spare. These early style wheels don't have the 4 open "slits" where the inner and outer portions of the wheel meet - it's just solid all the way around.

View attachment 92900

And there's a million other things I want to do with it. It's got some rust that I'll have to fix. The color is wrong, it was properly "Pasture Green" (as below) as only two colors were offered at first. At least it's still green... This one is not going to be "in patina" - it's not going to be a Show Car by any means, but I'm gonna make it pretty...

View attachment 92901

And it's been switched to 12V (gasp!) so I'll be finding a proper 6V Generator and everything else and putting it back right. And it's got a crappy aluminum radiator - I've already got a proper replacement (from @shade ) sitting here in the shop to go in it.

Mickey, I work on that every chance I get.....

It was funny - it wouldn't start in the trailer this morning - it was 15 degrees here, and its battery wasn't up to the challenge - so we had to get The Bride's new green Jeep out and pull it back to it's new home. Once it warmed up in there, it fired right up. Here's a little video of that exercise -

I'm totally excited! And I've learned - this time around, I'll start a proper "Build Thread" in the CJ sub-Forum here and do it right! haha This is gonna take a while......

Thanks for all the support and good vibes, everyone!
There he goes again! That's my Mad Genius childhood friend right there for ya fellas!

Willys Overland

Bigger Hammer
Jun 5, 2019
Jeep Central
First Name
Keith
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Don, when you get to working on it, be sure to capture the date stamping off the T90.
The transimission manufacturer went on strike around October of 1945, so there is much debate when the 1946's started production...

Also don't be in a hurry to locate two more 'solid' wheels. There is evidence that many of the VEC's came with 3 solids, and two of the MOTOR WHEEL brand wheels with the raise lug holes. I cant' recall if the solids were front, or rear, but there was definitely a pattern.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Another great report Big D. I like your little friend (said with Tony Montana accent ;)) it actually looks very serviceable now.
What's that? You're asking for my opinion? Well gosh, I'm flattered buddy. I vote to NOT tear it down and have it immobile for years. Play with the little Jeep. Fix something and then drive it.
If that was your wife's voice in the video, that might make you among the luckiest men in the world club. Congratulations. I think you will look fantastic driving that to Medina Hardware.