A 1946 CJ2A has arrived in VintageDonVille!!

Do they really think we can get our hands up in that tiny, cramped space, and get those nuts and bolts apart from the bottom of the manifold -with a box wrench - after they rust together for half a century or so?

I thought about that as well. And seeing as those were used in the military, I also pondered how many soldiers cussed and cursed the Willys engineers if they ever had to do any repairs out in the field?

I pull it apart like @Vintage Don but then assemble it with quality new hardware and hi-temp anti-seize compound. I had to pull the pipes off my CJ after a decade of (ab)use and they all just unscrewed with minimal effort. That hi-temp anti-seize compound is good stuff!

Don, when you get to working on it, be sure to capture the date stamping off the T90.
The transimission manufacturer went on strike around October of 1945, so there is much debate when the 1946's started production..

I have not yet "dug out" the trans Casting Date. However, I pulled off the floor shift cover to see what all I am going to need inside there, to convert it back to the proper Column Shift. Which allowed me to see the Transmission "Machining Date" code.

It says Feb. 13, 1946 - which falls right in line with a late February built date for this #18907.

Resized_20210222_172026.jpeg

Mildly ironically, it (finally!) arrived at my Shop here on Feb. 13th, just past - exactly 75 years to the day since the transmission was machined....

Last edited:
OK, something has kinda developed here, as a result of two comments above, a few days ago.

First, there was this from Joon in South Africa -

Damn Don I almost feel guilty about reading your next saga while Willa Dean is sitting in the final stretch :)

But honestly I’m chuffed there’s a sequel.

And then @JABJEEP said -

Wow! Lotsa info here, but I'm still de-cyphering "chufffed" from Joon

Just a couple of comments in passing....

But since then, I have occasionally started calling the new CJ2A "Chuffy."

I'm starting to think it might 'stick' and become it's name. The Bride kinda likes it......

That's how these things happen.

OK, something has kinda developed here, as a result of two comments above, a few days ago.

First, there was this from Joon in South Africa -

And then @JABJEEP said -

Just a couple of comments in passing....

But since then, I have occasionally started calling the new CJ2A "Chuffy."

I'm starting to think it might 'stick' and become it's name. The Bride kinda likes it......

That's how these things happen.
That's very cool Don. It's going to make reading this thread even better!

I started referring to my pick up as Agnes. My wife and I were talking about the engine being called the Super Hurricane, and she went and looked up the names of hurricanes during the era it was built. I don't think Agnes occurred in '55, but it just stuck.

@Willys Overland -

Hahaha - but No, No, No - don't wander over to the pig pen. Work with me here....

"Chuffed" is considerd a simple Adjective, indicating being actively pleased. I would say "I'm chuffed" - expressed in American English - is closely equivalent to "I'm pumped." Kind of "excitedly pleased."

Then we have the Verb 'chuffing' to consider. "The locomotive was chuffing out of the station."

But a name needs to be a Noun. So, we take the above attributes - pleasing, powerful (but perhaps not terribly fast) - and we simply add the "y" suffix, thusly -

Screenshot_20210225-130936_Chrome.jpg

Voila - Chuffy is "characterized or inclined to" being pleasing, powerful and so forth.

And we get to pay a small homage to @joon and @JABJEEP in the process....

Q.E.D. (quod erat demonstrandum)

Last edited:
Well, since I feel at least somewhat responsible for this twist of events.....May I point out that the CJ2A is apparently not a Mail jeep so, in keeping with my understanding of biology, (before switching to trade school I was a chem major/biology minor) it must be a female jeep. So, although I think your name is pronounced correctly, I think you have spelled it incorrectly. I think, using the more feminine vernacular, it should be spelled Chuffie.

Sexing a CJ is not necessarily an easy thing to do, just like with kittens.... You have to consider, for example - does it have a front PTO, or a rear PTO? And in this brave new world we inhabit in the PC 21st century, we also have to ask ourselves - how does the CJ self-identify???

So we may end up with "Chuffey"...........

AH yes, this is difficult. My 2A started out as an adjective and ended up an acronym. We named him (he self identified as a male) Grunt because at that time he was primarily used to haul bear bait and was usually covered with flies much like accompany the result from "taking a ...." Then my son became a United States Marine and so we kept the adjective and instead used it for the common USMC acronym General Recruit Un Trained. Sometimes things just work out.

Well Don, I did start off by indicating you were straining my linguistic skills...

And I do understand we seem to have strayed a bit from your original intent for this post, so " I will skip a bit brother"

My Jeeps generally don't have names. When my kids were young, they were named after the location they were purchased.
I learned late in life to never buy a jeep from the rust belt. So the 53 CJ-3A Farm Jeep was named Phoenix (actually Wittman), the 52 CJ-3B was the "Vegas Jeep".

We ran into a problem when we researched the actual Willys Nomenclature for the Farm Jeep (serial Suffix GC1)

1614283435474.png
Special Vehicle Minimum Agriculture was very rapidly changed to SPecial vehicle Agriculture Minimum, or SPAM.
Since then, every Jeep was referred to as SPAM.
Unfortunately, after a few cold beverages, this led to a habit standing on the wall of the castle pointing to each one and shouting, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM,SPAM, SPAM, SPAM SPAAAAAMMMM, Wonderful SPAM.

Back