Jul 29, 2020
Grand Forks, ND
First Name
JOHN
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Just a little progress update on my 1957 Willys pickup box. Being produced by Mar-K Industries using a 1948-1950 series GM pickup box. Length correct, stake pocket placement correct and cross sills being installed in correct locations. Box will be slightly taller. Mid state pocket slightly taller to compensate for box height. Will drill fender holes later. Great option to consider.
05B27D7A-E4E6-42FC-9343-274C66B1CBD2.jpeg
2E59D18C-AC70-4646-8C94-088BA52BFCED.jpeg
526326CB-E35C-4E6C-954A-7A404A1A11FC.jpeg

Ok .....yes this should be a very nice option .... however i would think ...if they are going to go to all the effort of producng this....then why not put little more effort into it and try to make a correct exact reproduction box ..using an intact stock bed from both early and late beds for everyone ..... ..instead of one that is just really close enough....(.... that only counts in..........) we know Walcks has them but you seen the price..? .... if this could be done for $1000 as a kit or $1500 ready to install fenders and tailgate then it would be very nice......and affordable for most everyone....

Will have to wait and see how this turns out ...take both and put side by side so we can see what the major differences are going to be in terms of overall height and construction...........now we just need a shop to make the rear fenders out of steel instead of glass and we would be set...other then the damned WO tailgate.....

The White Beast...(see Avatar..) has a Mar _K bed on it......i think from a 38-41 Chevy truck ...and unless you look at it or know what you are looking at.... you cant tell the difference.

Larry

Larry,

I will say the project I have going with Mar-K is the experiment. We did not want to incur excessive cost on my behalf and yet get very close. Basically, we are doing this with just detuning the manufacturing processes without making new tooling. I may still have to do some minor modification upon delivery. In the end, it keep my coat down but the process is creating a much closer Willys box design. I have challenged Mar-K to consider a Willys box option but I think demand would determine that or their commitment to that box design.

Appreciate the comments,

John

Ok .....yes this should be a very nice option .... however i would think ...if they are going to go to all the effort of producng this....then why not put little more effort into it and try to make a correct exact reproduction box ..using an intact stock bed from both early and late beds for everyone ..... ..instead of one that is just really close enough....(.... that only counts in..........) we know Walcks has them but you seen the price..? .... if this could be done for $1000 as a kit or $1500 ready to install fenders and tailgate then it would be very nice......and affordable for most everyone....

Will have to wait and see how this turns out ...take both and put side by side so we can see what the major differences are going to be in terms of overall height and construction...........now we just need a shop to make the rear fenders out of steel instead of glass and we would be set...other then the damned WO tailgate.....

The White Beast...(see Avatar..) has a Mar _K bed on it......i think from a 38-41 Chevy truck ...and unless you look at it or know what you are looking at.... you cant tell the difference.

Larry
Larry is your mar-k bed a long or short stepside

Larry is your mar-k bed a long or short stepside
Larry,

I agree on the rear fender topic! I have seen photos of the white beast.

to be honest i do not know..... i dont think it was ever a Step Side bed to begin with so

here are a few more pics ............truck .was purchased in 1980 running driving $1500.....and this was how the truck looked some 25 years ago.....

Old Willys1.JPG.....
in late 95 the rebuild was started to what you see today and was finished in late 99 early 2000....

....as far as i know this is a stock 41 or so Chevy truck bed kit......or that is what he was told it was......not sure of actual year......

IMG_20160820_180943710.jpg....

IMG_20160820_180955942.jpg.....

IMG_20160820_181008974_HDR.jpg.....
he opted to have the Wood slat bed kit added ...then put a 99 Ducati fuel filler neck in it.....

IMG_1537.jpg.....

Willys Ext.cab Dimensions.jpg

so what you are saying is they are taking the closest existing bed kit ... and slightly modifying it to properly fit a Wilys truck so they dont have retool to make a new Willys specific bed kit from scratch.....
Ok if they can pull this off and have it look exactly right from the outside in terms of length and height.....as you know a taller bed will make it look a bit like the Tender trucks of the Middle East ....which is fine if you want it......to me it looks out of proportion to the rest of the truck....

so we wait and see what they can come up with ....a compromise of sorts.

Larry

Still a work in process with Mar-K but will end up being 95%-98% of a original box. Under $2200. Keep in mind I have about $450 is shipping and I will add the floor later after paint. More to come.

Regards,
I'm very interested in an authentic reproduction bed for my '63 pick up. Existing reproductions just too expensive to completion. Mark

I'm very interested in an authentic reproduction bed for my '63 pick up. Existing reproductions just too expensive to completion. Mark
Mark, once I have the box in my hands and can start the fit up and any minor cross sill adjustments, I will send photos to everyone to judge. I tend to feel this will work out very well. Spent a lot of time on the phone and with measurements talking to their VP of Engineering.

I will wait to hear from you. I can imagine how many hours have gone into your effort. My truck came from the Imperial Valley in CA. Got to MA in 2012 or later. I have 2012 CA plates. It had been converted into a dump bed and shows the scars. The floor took the worst beating. l can imagine a bucket loader filling it time and again. I've restored the rolled edges. The sides are strecthed but not too bad. The tail gate is junk and the front bowed out. It's a rust free truck that still wound up an off frame restoration. Chassis and engine are done. Doing body work and hoping to paint early summer. We'll see.

I don't know if our demand is anywhere close to the Chevy boys. Either way, it's nice to have an option that only folks like us would know isn't "exactly" right.

There is a thread on the forum showing someone else using a chevy bed, its definitely the way to go for the price and if done right close enough to pass as a willys bed.

There is a thread on the forum showing someone else using a chevy bed, its definitely the way to go for the price and if done right close enough to pass as a willys bed.
Bruce, if you could find that thread can you post it i have looked and could not find it. would be interested in knowing which year chevy bed is the closest

Guys, the box I am having made at Mar-K Industries is the vintage ‘48 to ‘50. I am working with the VP of Engineering on it. Stake pocket position, box length, cross sill positioning etc. I should have it in the next week or so.

John

Attachments

• 9560E81C-0B68-48A0-B412-D2BD15624460.jpeg
    9560E81C-0B68-48A0-B412-D2BD15624460.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 19
  • 052D0D16-25A0-4D83-9AC0-484619CDE909.jpeg
    052D0D16-25A0-4D83-9AC0-484619CDE909.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 18
  • A22E9592-1735-4EAD-8E7F-36098C326448.jpeg
    A22E9592-1735-4EAD-8E7F-36098C326448.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 18
Keep in mind that Willys never had .....and never made their own beds.....but rather they used the 41 or so Chevy truck beds....that is why the Chevy beds are nearly identical... and fit so well ....and yes it will pass as a Willys bed......because that is what Willys used in the first place....why spend money they did not have to make their own beds when it was easier and cheaper to just buy their beds from Chevy and then make them fit.

Larry

Back