Willys Long Cab

Great shots of the San Juans! Gotta love Fall in the West... Thanks for posting those up; between you and @Lookout Ranch the season is being well shared!!
I just got back from the Kaibab/North Rim and the hunters out there were complaining about the scarcity of elk. But the colors were on full display. (tho I doubt anyone here wants to see pics of my mud covered Sprinter)
Post away, I'd love to see your pics.

Thanks for sharing all your pictures. We love the west and I love seeing your pictures. We made our first trip to the SW after Labor Day this year. Basically, around the four corners area for two weeks. Had to increase my cloud storage to hold all the rock pictures. I keep showing pictures like yours to my wife hopping to get her into trying something like that in our wagon someday.

Thanks for sharing all your pictures. We love the west and I love seeing your pictures. We made our first trip to the SW after Labor Day this year. Basically, around the four corners area for two weeks. Had to increase my cloud storage to hold all the rock pictures. I keep showing pictures like yours to my wife hopping to get her into trying something like that in our wagon someday.
I used to try to talk my bride into going with me on some of my adventures then decided to heck with that noise. I just told her where I was going and when and if she wanted to go she needed to pack her bags.

She figured out that I was serious when I went with out her a couple of times. That all happened more than 40 yrs ago. We've been married for 50 and it has been interesting to say the least. She finally came around and now she's always up for a road trip to who knows where.

Good luck to you.

Looks like you had a great trip Pops. I love the Fall colors. And congratulations M on being married for 50 years. My bride and I are just coming up on 42, but I didn't get married till I was 30.
Thanks. We had a good time.
That being married forever hasn't been all fun and games but we've stumbled thru it so far..
She has put up with me a lot more than she should have at times.

I have to say i really like your cooling holes in the hood, it really goes good with everything.
Thanks Bruce. I thought about that for a long time thinking it might look cheesy but it certainly helped to get some of the heat out of the engine bay. For a restomod I think it looks pretty good. I wish I had done it before the paint tho.

OUT OF NECESSITY.....

While on our trip a tire on the rear end slipped off a wet rock which resulted in high centering on the rear differential housing. I needed my handyman jack that I couldn't find a place to mount and didn't take.

This is what I came up with. I was going to build it out of steel but wanted to be able to see it before buying the material so I bought a few 2 x 4 studs to build a proto type.

Long story short I decided that "WOOD IS GOOD" on a old highly modified Willys.IMG_7100.JPGIMG_7101.JPGIMG_7102.JPGIMG_7116.JPGIMG_7155.JPGIMG_7164.JPGIMG_7169.JPGIMG_7185 (2).JPGIMG_7180.JPGIMG_7184.JPGI probably won't need the jack ever again but if I do it's there. The Rotopax fuel containers I will use for sure.

OUT OF NECESSITY.....

While on our trip a tire on the rear end slipped off a wet rock which resulted in high centering on the rear differential housing. I needed my handyman jack that I couldn't find a place to mount and didn't take.

This is what I came up with. I was going to build it out of steel but wanted to be able to see it before buying the material so I bought a few 2 x 4 studs to build a proto type.

Long story short I decided that "WOOD IS GOOD" on a old highly modified Willys.View attachment 128894View attachment 128895View attachment 128896View attachment 128897View attachment 128900View attachment 128901View attachment 128902View attachment 128904View attachment 128905I probably won't need the jack ever again but if I do it's there. The Rotopax fuel containers I will use for sure.
What? You didn't use teak ? :D
At 50 bucks a board foot it "wood" have been impressive, but having to douse it in Semco every year "wood" get old.
Turned out great!
BTW, if you do have to use that HiLift, be careful! I "affectionately" call them "HiTip"

FWIW, I'm a fan of inflatable style "jacks".
Here's the original but cheaper copies are out there:

Last edited:
T
At 50 bucks a board foot it "wood" have been impressive, but having to douse it in Semco every year "wood" get old.
Turned out great!
BTW, if you do have to use that HiLift, be careful! I "affectionately" call them "HiTip"

The inflatables are nice and fast, but you can't pull with one! That said. They outclass the high lift in so many jacking situations.

Turned out great!

Thanks Tralehead.
I wouldn't even know where to get teak if I could afford it.

The HiLift jacks can be hazardous to your health if you're not careful. But when you need to move your heep up then side ways they come in handy. I carry a bottle jack for flat tires.

Thanks Tralehead.
I wouldn't even know where to get teak if I could afford it.

The HiLift jacks can be hazardous to your health if you're not careful. But when you need to move your heep up then side ways they come in handy. I carry a bottle jack for flat tires.
Letting them down sometimes, the handle can slap you up side the head and knock your lights out. :confused:

Pops, I didn't know you were such a talented wood worker also. It look great.
Thanks Rodney.
Hey I worked for a general contractor buddy for 15 yrs after I quit the heavy equipment repair gig.
I've built a few houses including my own and lots of remodel work.

I have to be able to do just about any thing cause I can't afford to pay to have it done now days.. Not to mention it's hard to find some one that will do it the way I want it done.
I draw the line when it comes to tile work tho. It hurts my old wore out back too bad.

Back