Where was your Willys today?

So here you have the Houston skyline.
It was a successful trip made to Galveston and home with no issues,I bought this machine to do what it did today.Surfing and fishing.
Its still a work in progress,AC would have been nice.But Im still looking for the right setup.I have a box of parts that need attention.I bought New shocks and a third brake light,so people can actually see I’m stopping.Theres plenty to still do but today was all about using the machine for what it was bought for and proving that it’s mechanically capable.
Im satisfied and I made some folks smile today.
One more thing.Cruising at 70 mph I actually got 15 mpg.

Sounds like a pretty good day to me!

But what I want to know is - how'd you get 14 photos inserted in the same posting?? (It always tells me I "reached the limit" at 10??)

Looks like it was a good day for many of us to get away for the day.
I finally was able to make the trip down to the Gulf.I loaded up my fishing gear and strapped one of my surfboards( the long slow one)on the roof and took off.View attachment 80487filled the tank in Katy Tx and started heading south.TView attachment 80489This is the causeway going into Galveston This is where you start to smell the salt air.View attachment 80490II alway stop at Smittys bait shop to get some fresh shrimp and what ever I forgot to bring with me.View attachment 80491View attachment 80492So here it is folks,The Gulf Of Mexico.And I met that storm on my way back home.View attachment 80493View attachment 80494View attachment 80495Just some pictures of my machine posing at the beachView attachment 80495The surf was really flat I still took the board out and paddled around a bit.Then Went back to fish another hour.Kept catching Gafftop,a sort of salt water catfish and a few Pompino.No keepers.View attachment 80496View attachment 80497View attachment 80498Time to head homeView attachment 80499View attachment 80500So here you have the Houston skyline.
It was a successful trip made to Galveston and home with no issues,I bought this machine to do what it did today.Surfing and fishing.
Its still a work in progress,AC would have been nice.But Im still looking for the right setup.I have a box of parts that need attention.I bought New shocks and a third brake light,so people can actually see I’m stopping.Theres plenty to still do but today was all about using the machine for what it was bought for and proving that it’s mechanically capable.
Im satisfied and I made some folks smile today.
One more thing.Cruising at 70 mph I actually got 15 mpg.
Nice outing, thanks for sharing it! What power plant have you got in your wagon?

Finally, after the engine, transmission, and transfer case rebuild, I finally think I’ve got the Weber pretty close to dialed in. I took a quick drive up to work and came home on one of the forestry roads though the Sequoias. Hard to believe trees that big come from such small cones! The truck did awesome, great throttle response, no issues, and she’s purring like a kitten! My co pilot did need a break after awhile but no complaints from him either, he’s just happy to get his truck back! LolB5B19C00-03D5-4D91-91CD-CF744CD5362B.jpeg07C0B301-80AA-4BDC-9123-998882AB2BA4.jpegD0228E82-3717-404F-8895-5373E64FDC0D.jpeg9D487E20-6CDF-4E3B-85AC-FDABB0F57EBD.jpeg

Finally, after the engine, transmission, and transfer case rebuild, I finally think I’ve got the Weber pretty close to dialed in. I took a quick drive up to work and came home on one of the forestry roads though the Sequoias. Hard to believe trees that big come from such small cones! The truck did awesome, great throttle response, no issues, and she’s purring like a kitten! My co pilot did need a break after awhile but no complaints from him either, he’s just happy to get his truck back! LolView attachment 80503View attachment 80504View attachment 80505View attachment 80506

Wow, nice, great to hear it’s running so well, and thanks for sharing the pics. Neat picture of that huge stump with the perch cutouts for the fallers.

Looks beautiful! We certainly don't get snow down in this part of the country, but it is nice at least seeing pictures of it.
Grab your camera, go for a spin, and snap some pics to post...

I'll start... :D

Went for a spin in the hills this morning... looking like winter around here.
quigly10-703.jpg

quigly10-705.jpg

quigly10-708.jpg

quigly10-709.jpg

quigly10-712.jpg

quigly10-716.jpg

So, where was your Willys today?

Post pics!

Pete

Nice outing, thanks for sharing it! What power plant have you got in your wagon?
It has a GM 2.8V6 with. 700r4 transmission.
Sounds like a pretty good day to me!

But what I want to know is - how'd you get 14 photos inserted in the same posting?? (It always tells me I "reached the limit" at 10??)
Thanks not really sure how.I choose actual size for photos and I have yet to reach my limit.

It has a GM 2.8V6 with. 700r4 transmission.

Thanks not really sure how.I choose actual size for photos and I have yet to reach my limit.
I lived in Baytown for 50 + years, and back in the late 60s/early 70s I was in Galveston or Freeport nearly every weekend in my Willys wagon stacked with surfboards.

Randy

Reactions: Lou
Got my Dad's '56 out to the local cars and coffee this morning and then off to the Military Vehicle Collectors Club Meeting. Runs good, need to get some new tires.... minor issues like the driver door flies open around right hand corners! Adds to the excitement! Got to get that fixed next. Here are some pics from Chino Hills and Pomona California.

IMG_1899.jpgIMG_1900.jpgIMG_1902.jpgIMG_1903.jpgIMG_1904.jpg

Got my Dad's '56 out to the local cars and coffee this morning and then off to the Military Vehicle Collectors Club Meeting. Runs good, need to get some new tires.... minor issues like the driver door flies open around right hand corners! Adds to the excitement! Got to get that fixed next. Here are some pics from Chino Hills and Pomona California.

View attachment 80516View attachment 80517View attachment 80518View attachment 80519View attachment 80520

Hahaha, I had a similar issue with my driver's door. Gets kinda exciting when going around a off camber corner and no seat belts.
Check the pawl on the latch mechanism. My cousin's husband Randy noticed my pawl was welded previously and all the weld had cracked. The pass side looks original and is swaged.

Thanks for taking us along and sharing the pics. Glad your truck did so well.

I've found some 3/8" felt carpet padding on the floor, including up the firewall to the major cross-seam (held in place by push-pins) and in the cubby under the seat, makes a huge difference reducing the racket and makes the drive much more enjoyable and less tiring. I also put closed cell foam under the flashing on the hump that covers the transmission -- cut it to fit and screw it down. Big difference.

Incidentally, you may benefit from an intermediate shaft refresh in the TC. When that gets worn, as it will, it contributes to the racket. That can be done in the truck from underneath.

Thank you. Glad to reciprocate the adventures I shared vicariously through you. Your write ups really helped during the Spring when I was elbow deep in rust.

I think you got yourself a real nice ranch truck there Joe ! What else could you ask for ?
Cool trip and story :cool:

Agreed. Better for putting to town but still off road capable.

A most excellent adventure, and well reported! I would also not mind having a cabin in that valley. (Although honestly, I'd be more inclined to find a similar valley in, say, Montana....). But a great ride, and the very best feature of it - nothing BROKE. Carry on...

Agreed, although many issues are nagging, nothing major broke.

As has been said,thanks for the ride along Joe. Mucho enjoyable!
I enjoyed the ride too! Thanks Joe

Glad to provide payback for all the entertainment I've received from the Forum.

View attachment 80501

(In the voice of 1980s Chevy Chase:) Just close your eyes, and be the ball..... na na na na na na na na .................na na na na na na na na na na.

"See the ball, be the ball...." one of my favorite movies.
Your trip reports have also inspired me to take the truck beyond our "backyard".

Car
Wow, nice, great to hear it’s running so well, and thanks for sharing the pics. Neat picture of that huge stump with the perch cutouts for the fallers.
Carter,

Good eye and yes the “Perch” cutouts are exactly what you say they are for. The planks that were driven into these notches were called Spring Boards, and aptly named as you can imagine that standing on one would be akin to standing on a “Spring Board” or diving platform. To add insult to injury, the tree fallers (loggers) were using a two man buck saw! It is always interesting to me that one of the named positions in these early (Pre-Chainsaw) logging camps was a Saw Filer that continually filed and set the teeth of these Human powered saws.

Back