Where was your Willys today?

Took a burfday drive up the hill today cause it was just an exceptional day ( at least for some of us).
Stopped at Bigcone SpringKIMG1813.JPGwalked around back, and looked over the edge
KIMG1809.JPG
Now I know what all the sirens and helochoppers were about earlier this morning! Somebody had a bad night. On top of previous bad nights. ;)
But a cruise to the top with Tiny Tim made it all betta
KIMG1824.JPG
Oh, and Parker was along too Happy Monday!
KIMG1808.JPG

I went to a show tonight, not really my bag but realized I needed to get out of the house at this, my favorite time of year. About 1/2 hour each way, used the overdrive. There was a guy there with a small window RWD truck, as happy to see another Willys as I’ve ever seen a guy.

Forgot to take pics so these are in driveway upon my arrival home.

JohnIMG_0770.jpegIMG_0771.jpeg

No pictures, but I called the insurance guy to put the '42 GPW on the list and then took it to the hardware store to get parts for the other GPW, which of course they don't carry. Total miles on the rig equals the mileage on the trip odometer, plus the fraction of a mile I put on it in the back yard last fall. All in all a good trip, about 25 miles (I took the long way on the back roads) but some clutch and steering adjutments are needed as well as the tailpipe getting tack welded to the muffler and it starting running hotter than I like after about ten miles. Sadly, I may have to pull the transmission to re-shim 2nd gear, even though I assembled it to spec it pops out on hard deceleration, a known issue with T84s. My wife is already asking when I'm going to paint the hood star and registraion numbers on it. She says it's incomplete without them and wants that done before we go for our summer evening rides!

48 years ago today, as a senior in high school, I bought this from a local gas station for $650, a '62 CJ-5 with a T98 4 speed...

1714832095250.jpeg

got it stuck in the mud on the way home (no pictures being stuck, but check out those tires!)

1714832223185.jpeg
and the next day started "to work on it" (I've never really quit working on it yet)...
1714832185758.jpeg

1714832316412.jpeg

Decided to do a little more work after graduation...

1714832396835.jpeg

1714832446086.jpeg

completed the first "new" rendition, retaining the F-134...

1714832545494.jpeg

1714832566269.jpeg

second rendition, installing a Buick Special 225 V6 (retaining the T-98 and 5.38 differentials) and adding 35" Gumbo Monster Muddres, and a Warn overdrive...
1714832845449.jpeg

3rd rendition, adding a fiberglass body and using it at Moab Rim,

1714832986687.jpeg

and abusing it at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes....
1714833016179.jpeg

Another, of many major repairs...
nice "jack stands" under the two jeeps, huh? Yeah, those are 1/4 barrels, probably Pabst or Blatz and cinder blocks.

1714833112163.jpeg

two of several pictures required by the DMV when switching from vanity plates to Hobbyist plates...

1714833180510.jpeg

1714833373137.jpeg

and today, our 48th "anniverary" it's sitting on the battery charger, suffering from neglect, while I try to complete so many other projects. Once I get it started I'll take it for the mandatory annual spin, maybe even use the winch to pull a dead tree down the rest of the way before it falls completely into the nieghbors yard. Sad, but apparently it's part of growing up, setting proper priorities. If I get caught up on most of the other projects I hope to return to Moab and the Colorado Rockies, and maybe even the Rubicon before I'l too old to do those things safely.

48 years ago today, as a senior in high school, I bought this from a local gas station for $650, a '62 CJ-5 with a T98 4 speed...

View attachment 163748

got it stuck in the mud on the way home (no pictures being stuck, but check out those tires!)

View attachment 163750
and the next day started "to work on it" (I've never really quit working on it yet)...
View attachment 163749

View attachment 163751

View attachment 163752

View attachment 163753

View attachment 163755

View attachment 163756

second rendition, installing a Buick Special 225 V6 (retaining the T-98 and 5.38 differentials) and adding 35" Gumbo Monster Muddres, and a Warn overdrive...
View attachment 163757

View attachment 163758

View attachment 163759

nice "jack stands" under the two jeeps, huh? Yeah, those are 1/4 barrels, probably Pabst or Blatz and cinder blocks.

View attachment 163760

two of several pictures required by the DMV when switching from vanity plates to Hobbyist plates...

View attachment 163761

View attachment 163762

and today, our 48th "anniverary" it's sitting on the battery charger, suffering from neglect, while I try to complete so many other projects. Once I get it started I'll take it for the mandatory annual spin, maybe even use the winch to pull a dead tree down the rest of the way before it falls completely into the nieghbors yard. Sad, but apparently it's part of growing up, setting proper priorities. If I get caught up on most of the other projects I hope to return to Moab and the Colorado Rockies, and maybe even the Rubicon before I'l too old to do those things safely.
Great history. Thanks for sharing.

Great story. Always in Wisconsin?
yeah, I'm a homebody. I went on a two week long four wheeling trip once and even though I was having a great time I was ready to come home after 10 days. Then, when we got married in 2000 we honeymooned on Mauii in a rented jeep (got it stuck on the beach too!) and then, a few hours after landing at MKE packed up and drove out to the Colorado Rockies for a 4-wheeling vacation with friends for a week. So, even though it was two weeks, that few hours at home to catch up on some mail, visit the dog, and do a quick mowing job in the front yard made all the difference. I guess I don't like being away from my projects for too long because I'm so far behind!

Just a trip to the Post Office to blow the 3rd shade of green, pollen off the hood.
View attachment 163620
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday it was pollen on the hood. There is an old saying in Alta, that "Winter is not over till it snows on the Dog Wood blossoms". Well Guess what, it started after noon. The wife and I went for a drive to Grass Valley for Brunch. I got this picture pulling in the driveway.
IMG_20240504_143112411.jpg
Now at 3:30 Daisy and I went out to go for a drive in the Wagon and got about 10ft. up the driveway towards the shop. She turned around and gave me a dirty look. Like you've got to be kidding. And besides, with my knee and cane, I'm not walking up there. It's a good afternoon to spend on the couch.
IMG_20240504_152955231.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 163748

View attachment 163750
View attachment 163749

View attachment 163751

View attachment 163752

View attachment 163753

View attachment 163755

View attachment 163756

View attachment 163757

View attachment 163758

View attachment 163759

View attachment 163760

View attachment 163761

View attachment 163762

That hard top was awesome

This really was a great find, looking good!

Passenger and rear view mirror as well!
The prior owner loved the truck, according to his widow. It does seem to have been well maintained in a state of not quite arrested decay over the nearly 40 years they owned it. It runs really nice, and all the little things work — turn signals, horn, high beam indicator, gauges — but now it really needs upholstery and a new deck and sideboards.

Funny thing is, though, the poor guy was probably running it all those years with the knuckles on the (solid, 2WD) front axle installed backwards, so it steered very clumsily with the castor all wrong. (I suspect someone thought the tie rod would interfere with the springs or shocks.) Now it steers like a dream.

Last edited:
Back